VOGONS

First post, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good day,

I'm trying to use a bunch of bin/cue images with audio tracks with DAEMON Tools 3.47 on Windows 98 SE with the unofficial Service Pack 3.57.

After a lot of reading, I realized I need 2 wave devices to have both digital sound and CD audio.

My main wave device is a Sound Blaster SB32 CT3930, and my second device is a Sound Blaster Live! CT4830 exclusively for CD audio.

Everything works great, but it irks me to have to sacrifice a Live! just for CD audio. I'd like to have one of the Lives! as main wave device and a second one to handle
CD audio from DAEMON Tools, on top of the SB32 I want to keep for DOS games.

I tried to install a second Live!, but when I turn the computer on, POST shows the first Live! correctly configured as an input device (the joystick port, I assume) and
as a multimedia device.

The second Live! doesn't show up as a multimedia device, only as an input device.

The second Live! usually shows up as an "Early PCI VGA adapter", when it shows at all. Installing drivers (from Creative Labs site) works, but the device stays stuck as early VGA device.

I have tried with another card, and sometimes it doesn't even show at all on POST (not even as input device), nor in the device manager.

The BIOS on this motherboard doesn't have an option to clear ESCD, so I can't seem to reset this erroneous configuration.

After a couple of hours poking this, I'd like to ask if it is at all possible to have 2 SB Live! and an AWE32 working in the same computer.

Any help is, as usual, vastly appreciated...

My specs are:

Pentium III @ 800 Mhz
AOpen AX63 Pro (Via chipset)
2x 512 MB SDRAM @ 133 Mhz
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
2x Sound Blaster Live! Value CT4830
1x Sound Blaster SB32 CT3930
1x Roland MPU-401AT

Edit:

I have tested all SB Live! cards separately, and all are in working order. Windows picks them up and installs drivers, and they output sound.
Interestingly, one of them shows in POST when I turn the computer on as both an input device (no IRQ assigned) and multimedia device (IRQ 5 assigned).
Three other CT4830s I own only show up as input devices.

I'm not sure why I can have 2 Voodoo 2 cards but not 2 SB Live!. I suspect it is a drivers problem, but I have no idea how to fix that.

I'm wanting to try with a PCI sound card from a different manufacturer, just to rule out a driver conflict.
What PCI sound card do you think would fit the bill? I only need a wave device to use with DEAMON Tools. No MIDI, no joysticks and no fancy features like positional sound are required!