VOGONS

First post, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I figured if I asked this here someone would know.

I have a Podp83 intel overdrive chip and at some point the fan on it died. At the time I had no idea that it would not run at full speed with out a fan connected and I didn't use it very often to notice it wasn't running at full speed... So I threw the dead fan in the trash.

Is there an easy fix for this? can i just connect another fan and it will run at full speed?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post a few pictures of the CPU with the fan off?

Are you handy with a soldering iron? I believe there is a pad (or pads) that needs to be pulled to ground (fan detect) or else the CPU will run at 33mhz. The original fan did that for you. Depending on how it works I'm sure you can either use a resistor or you may get away with just drawing a line with a pencil depending on how it's setup.. I don't recall it being a tough mod.

When you do get it going, get a new fan on it or it's going to cook.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 3, by cxm717

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a soldering iron. I wouldn't say im very good with it though. I added a pic of the chip from the side where the fan connected to 3 pads on the corner of the chip.

Attachments

• podp.jpg
    Filename
    podp.jpg
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, You wouldn't happen to have a multimeter would you? Somebody in an older thread mentioned that one of those pads will be putting out a voltage (+5v), when that one is connected to the other two the multiplier will go from 1 back to 2.5.

It's possible that the mere act of drawing lines through them with a pencil could do the trick (not too nicely), or it may need a pair of resistors.

I'll do a bit of research on this tomorrow if nobody else helps, but I'm sure somebody on this forum knows how to get that chip back to 2.5x. Wish I could offer more input but it's past my bedtime 😵

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?