VOGONS

First post, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi folks.

I have been trying to find out definitively what the story is with compatability the 6xxx series cards in Windows 98. I was under the impression that there were some features that these cards can't do at a hardware level that older cards can making them not perfect for older windows 98 era games, yet I've seen other claims that older drivers will allow them to work as they should.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me at all?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 8, by aztekk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NV4x (6 series) dropped support for 8-bit palettized textures which may prevent some games from running, no driver can fix that. It does still retain fog table support though. Another thing to be aware of if it's an AGP card is that earlier 6 series cards were native AGP but newer ones used a PCIe-AGP bridge chip which may cause performance or compatibility issues with some chipsets.

Reply 3 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I couldn't remember the name of what was missing.

Is there a certain era of games that need 8bit palletised support? From what I remember it's possibly FF7 and 8 at the very least.

Reply 4 of 8, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't uncommon back when D3D titles were still being designed for 3dfx Voodoo cards. When the TNT showed up, it lacked support. The games or cards do do something to get around it, because other than FF7, FF8 and maybe European Air War, you don't see games flatly refusing to run.

Seen Thief II and System Shock 2 mentioned as two games that look worse without 8-bit palettized textures, probably also includes Thief Gold then and possibly the original Thief: The Dark Project. Could just be part of the crappier dithering by newer cards, instead.

Last edited by firage on 2017-11-21, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 8, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info. I have a TI4200 which has been more or less perfect for what I need it for anyway. Might still chuck the 6800 in there, since I have a Voodoo3 as backup. I'd be curious if Half Life is affected.

Reply 7 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. GF4-ti4200 is a great card. Anything between TNT2 and GF4 are what to look for when it comes to Win98.
Voodoo2-SLI, Voodoo3-3000/3500, Matrox-G400/G400-Max are great as well.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011