VOGONS

First post, by DerZocker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, Vogons! I really hope you guys can help me out with this.
I want to get a secondary rig to accompany my Laptop, though my requirements for it make things a bit complicated.
What I want is a machine that is more or less still reasonable fast, able to output to a CRT in 240p, but also runs the 32Bit version of Win7,
as there's a huge bunch of ancient graphic and 3D utilities that just refuse to work on a modern 64bit system.(and none had any problems on my old Acer which had 7 32bit)
I mainly want to use the 240p out to hook up the PC to my PVM, so I can use it as an accurate preview monitor for my pixelart. Playing old games and emulators on it would be just the cherry on top(especially Sonic Mania :3 ). So the problem now is that CRT Emudriver supports almost any OS variation except for Win7 32. XP is becoming a bit too old for some of the newer utilities I use, while 10 doesn't offer the same comfort. Would ArcadeVGA be my only option in this case or would it have its own share of issues?
Also, which CPU would be a good choice? My last tower was over 10 years ago and had still AGP, and I only had laptops since then, so my knowledge about hardware components is more than just a bit rusty.
I kinda want this as a bridge system that has at least some perfomance for the newer utilities like Photoshop, but also the aforementioned backward compability to let the new and old tools work hand in hand.
I know these are probably pretty special requirements I have here, but I suppose this is the best forum for questions about special hardware-OS combinations^^
I'm thankful for any help and recommendation you have

Reply 1 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you mean by "240p"? The original VGA spec was 576p, with some modes outputting 480p (but no lower), with analogue TV being around the same (PAL is 625i, NTSC is 525i). No recent video signal is as low as 240p.

If you mean you want to output to a CRT monitor or TV, then all you need is an adapter to produce either VGA output or composite output from your existing display connector. eBay has a number of adapters that will convert HDMI or DisplayPort on the latest PCs to a VGA or composite signal that will work with most CRTs.

Reply 4 of 8, by DerZocker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean something that's able to output various 15khz low resolutions to an old (non-VGA) CRT, like Arcade VGA or CRT EmuDriver, of which the latter hasn't a compatible 32bit Win7 driver. Otherwise it would work with a wide range of old Radeon cards (where I honestly don't have the slightest idea either about which one's the best)
What I don't want is something like most GPU's TV-Out, which just rescales everything to a blurry 480i picture. Been there, done that^^'

Yeah, DOS Games too, though most of my needs in this regard are filled by DOSBox so far. I was thinking more about emulators^^

I hope this makes my problem somewhat clear

Reply 6 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm.. looking at those, I am guessing that the Arcade VGA card is just a regular card with a special driver set that only has a modified .INF file to add the extra modes.

Same goes for the CRT EMUdriver. I am guessing it just has a modified .INF to add the extra modes.

Should be pretty simple to make a Win7 32-bit set.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 8, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Most older video cards for arcade systems lack Bios and need to have the bios on the mainboard or software written for just that system. So be carful with what card you pick.

But if that one you links is just driver and bios mod wile not just buy any random card and mod them?