VOGONS

First post, by ShenTao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used Noppin to deputy the auction for me and ship it from Japan to the US.

I bought a PC-9821ap2 at a total cost of about $179 USD after conversions and fees, a keyboard for $40 (shipping was essentially free as I had them package some old Dreamcasts and a Saturn in the same box), and I also am currently bidding on a PC-9821V16 (The first is a 486 model, the latter a Pentium model, I speak some Japanese so I can peruse data sheets)

I would highly recommend their services. Pay for SAL parcel as it took 90 days for my PC-9821ap2 to arrive via surface (boat) mail but SAL took 14 days - money well spent!

Reply 1 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShenTao wrote:

I used Noppin to deputy the auction for me and ship it from Japan to the US.

I bought a PC-9821ap2 at a total cost of about $179 USD after conversions and fees, a keyboard for $40 (shipping was essentially free as I had them package some old Dreamcasts and a Saturn in the same box), and I also am currently bidding on a PC-9821V16 (The first is a 486 model, the latter a Pentium model, I speak some Japanese so I can peruse data sheets)

Or just use this site, which is quite understandable with Google translate. 😀

I think it should be possible to get working systems for less than what you paid, as long as you can source PC-98 DOS* locally/on the internet and are willing to take the bet that "powers on" = "works" and the unit is shown powered on in the auction with no weird messages shown on displays etc. (until now, my worst experience with doing that has been an audio effect box that doesn't work nice with my mixer when connected a certain way).

* PC-98 Windows 95 and higher can be found for cheap on Y! Auctions Japan - there also are multi-platform retail packages. Just be sure you get the license card/key with it.

I would highly recommend their services. Pay for SAL parcel as it took 90 days for my PC-9821ap2 to arrive via surface (boat) mail but SAL took 14 days - money well spent!

Yeah, surface is to be avoided (also, no insurance). How much was shipping for you?

Reply 2 of 4, by ShenTao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About $80 USD for SAL for the keyboard, three dreamcasts and a Saturn.

I'm sure there is cheaper but I like to go for ones in good condition with good expansions. Also you need at least a 486 to play the later games like Touhou

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ShenTao wrote:

About $80 USD for SAL for the keyboard, three dreamcasts and a Saturn.

I'm sure there is cheaper but I like to go for ones in good condition with good expansions. Also you need at least a 486 to play the later games like Touhou

You can also look at ones listed as "junk" (which sometimes means it's indeed junk, but more often means "untested beyond powering on" 😀 ).