VOGONS

How do I file-transfer on LAN?

Topic actions

First post, by mashedpotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an old laptop of mine in the closet here recently and had the idea to put a fresh copy of Win98SE on it. The USB drive doesn't work. The CD drive does work for file transfer, but I don't have any cd-rws. I do, however, have an ethernet cable.

How do I go about setting it up so I can copy files from my Win10 Desktop to my Win98SE gaming laptop?

Reply 1 of 26, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any folders shared from your windows 10 computer with permissions set to "everyone"? "net use" always works for me on 98SE when other options are failing.

Let's say for example you share a folder and call it "Movies" and your Windows 10 computers IP (local) is 192.168.1.4. (I'm assuming both computers are connected to the same router in your home, without any special networking setup)

once you do that open up command prompt on Win98 (or make a batch file) and enter: net use X: \\192.168.1.4\Movies
**where X: is the drive you want to mount it is, if you enter the above line, you should now have an X drive named Movies in my computer.

If you need help sharing a folder on win10 and setting permissions just ask, or google will turn up tons of tutorials.

Also: Is the usb drive NOT WORKING, or is it just not reading flash drives? you need to either install windows 98 SP3 (unofficial service pack) or just download "nusb33" for your version of windows 98, though you'll still need to go over the network or burn a CD to get it going.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 26, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Easiest way is an ftp server/client solution. You can set up the server on your win10 pc. Clients exist for virtually everything so this way you'll be able to transfer files to any retro pc just by running a client on it.

Reply 3 of 26, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You could also check the BIOS on the laptop to make sure "USB Legacy support" is enabled..... my older machines will not detect USB drives at all unless that's enabled...... ofcourse the drive would also need to be formatted FAT32 as well in order to be read.

Reply 4 of 26, by mashedpotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dirk Daring wrote:

You could also check the BIOS on the laptop to make sure "USB Legacy support" is enabled..... my older machines will not detect USB drives at all unless that's enabled...... ofcourse the drive would also need to be formatted FAT32 as well in order to be read.

Ok. I now know that the USB drive works. So, I tried formatting the flash drive to FAT32, but it still won't work.

Reply 5 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The way I do this on my Windows 98 gaming rig is to set Win98 up on the network with an IP and make sure all the file sharing crap is installed. Then I shared out a folder on my Windows 98 machine and I can see it on my Windows 10 machine. This lets me drag and drop files onto that folder and then I can use the files in Windows 98 as if I had originally downloaded them there in the first place. It's a lot easier to get stuff off of the modern internet that way.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 6 of 26, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mashedpotato wrote:
Dirk Daring wrote:

Ok. I now know that the USB drive works. So, I tried formatting the flash drive to FAT32, but it still won't work.

You may have a brand of thumb drive that requires drivers for Win98 to pick it up.... my SanDisk Cruzer's are like that, fortunately it's pretty easy to find drivers for the SanDisk drives, what drive do you have?

Reply 7 of 26, by mashedpotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dirk Daring wrote:
mashedpotato wrote:
Dirk Daring wrote:

You may have a brand of thumb drive that requires drivers for Win98 to pick it up.... my SanDisk Cruzer's are like that, fortunately it's pretty easy to find drivers for the SanDisk drives, what drive do you have?

I am not really sure of the exact model, but it's a PNY 16gb flash drive

Reply 9 of 26, by mashedpotato

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dirk Daring wrote:
mashedpotato wrote:

Give this a try.
http://driverscollection.com/?file_cid=393614 … d3ddc58367ac09a

Nope, doesn't work.

Reply 10 of 26, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mashedpotato wrote:
Dirk Daring wrote:
mashedpotato wrote:

Give this a try.
http://driverscollection.com/?file_cid=393614 … d3ddc58367ac09a

Nope, doesn't work.

not even with USB legacy support enabled? It might be possible that the drive is too new to work with Windows 98 I suppose?

Reply 11 of 26, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Read my reply from last night. If the net use command is too much to figure out, it explains why your usb flash drives wont work either.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win9 … age-drivers.php

Install this on your windows 98 computer and most (not all) flash drives will work. Win98 isn't going to read flash drives otherwise, unless you install unofficial SP3.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 12 of 26, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do basically what FFXIhealer (Being a Bastok native is suffering) mentioned. My Win98SE system has been set to be on the same workgroup as every other computer in the house, WORKGROUP, and let DHCP handle the IP assignment, since the system isn't always in use or even hooked upku. After enabling file and printer sharing, I can manage the Win98 system from my primary, Win7 computer, but 98 and older versions of Windows can't get into my Win7 system or access any shared drives. A minor pain, but at least I don't need to set up extra software on either for file management. All of the "fixes" online are nonsense and magic, in the realm of Apple's solutions in that they seem to make sense based on the instructions and settings modified, but only work for a single digit percentage of the people having the identical problem.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 13 of 26, by TheGouldFish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had similar issues where I could access the shares on the win98 machine but not the other way round and worked out that I needed to set one of my machines to be the "master browser".
I enabled this on my NAS, but you should find it in the win98.

Reply 15 of 26, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found that if you create and share a folder with full write permissions in Windows 98, Windows 7/8/10 should be able to see the folder and copy files to it.

Reply 16 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
mashedpotato wrote:

I found an old laptop of mine in the closet here recently and had the idea to put a fresh copy of Win98SE on it. The USB drive doesn't work. The CD drive does work for file transfer, but I don't have any cd-rws. I do, however, have an ethernet cable.

How do I go about setting it up so I can copy files from my Win10 Desktop to my Win98SE gaming laptop?

Via Ethernet packets...

Joking aside best was would be via a FTP server.

Reply 17 of 26, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of sincere curiosity, do you people really find it easier configuring shares, struggling among different windows versions, permissions, what's allowed to see what between different windows versions, USB drivers etc than just setting up an FTP server once on your main machine which allows file transfers between any PC -even *nix, win3.x or DOS-only systems? Not trying to enforce my own approach here at all, it's an honest question. Could it just be that you haven't tried it yet because "setting up an FTP server" sounds more complex that it really is? Curious on some feedback on this, maybe I'm following the "expert difficulty" path.

Reply 19 of 26, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went with an FTP server few years ago. I used my raspberry pi for that purpose. But then I discovered that samba was capable of being accessible from any modern windows BUT it's also accessible from DOS ! So I replaced the FTP server with that instead. Works much better ! I can even Setup windows 9x just by booting with something that lets you access the shared folder from DOS and then just decompress the files of windows 9x CD somewhere and execute "install". Works really well !

I can even build one of these .inf files with some tool provided with Windows 98 that will tell the installer to install everything needed, input the product key, etc. That's much better than burning CDs each time, looking for old CD drives that will read burned CDs, making sure to NOT loose the burned CD, to hear the disc spinning for at least half an hour, etc ...

I never measured how long this lasts, but I'm pretty confident the installation speed have greatly increased (and I'm not counting the automatic installation because I haven't tested that yet)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative