How do I file-transfer on LAN?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
konc wrote:

Out of sincere curiosity, do you people really find it easier configuring shares, struggling among different windows versions, permissions, what's allowed to see what between different windows versions, USB drivers etc than just setting up an FTP server once on your main machine which allows file transfers between any PC -even *nix, win3.x or DOS-only systems? Not trying to enforce my own approach here at all, it's an honest question. Could it just be that you haven't tried it yet because "setting up an FTP server" sounds more complex that it really is? Curious on some feedback on this, maybe I'm following the "expert difficulty" path.

Their are a lot of simple to use FTP server/client apps out there. Wile FTP does not have the same level of control as a Samba its far less work to setup. Samba can get tacky with new and very old OS's.
Only thing simpler then an FTP is ether pulling the hdd and putting it in another system or floppys if you ask me.

Reply 21 of 26, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FWIW I've done file sharing between Windows 95 RTM and Windows 10 and had no problems whatsoever...provided I used the Win10 machine to access shared folders on the Win95 machine and not the other way around. This was actually done via dialup and not ethernet. My Win95 machine lacks any sort of LAN adapter whatsoever (and for historical accuracy to match a childhood system my family owned, it never will), so instead I connected the modem on it directly to the modem on a newer WinXP tablet, then used the XP system as a bridge to the LAN via wifi. An overly complicated setup that runs very slow, I will admit...but it still works for quick and dirty file-sharing purposes.

Reply 22 of 26, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been using HFS (Http File Server). Single executable with drag and drop, really easy to use. You just run it on the machine you need to send files from, then open a web browser on the target machine and type in the IP and port. Even with a completely fresh install of Windows 98 you still have internet explorer so it's very easy to get files across.

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

Follow me on twitter

Reply 23 of 26, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ariana started in Bastok on Remora server and it was wonderful the first ~6 years of gameplay. Then they released everything after the level 75 cap and it turned to shit. I never did care for Abyssea, level sync, or those stupid books that completely destabilized the old leveling system. The game just never felt right after all of that.

FF14 is a lot better in a number of ways. I also have Ariana there, though instead of a White Mage (healer), she's a Paladin (tank).

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 25 of 26, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Is it perverse of me to recommend implementing Netware on your LAN?

Perverse AND obscene.

Jokes aside, does that even run on windows 10? I remember it being dead for years now.

Reply 26 of 26, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently it does (the client, at least). I believe they went to a Linux based system for the server side.
https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7016731

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder