VOGONS

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a while but after a house move and managing my my stuff from storage I'm finally getting round to sorting out my machines. However in the time my disks have been away, most are now unusable and gotten mould. I hate when this happens since it destroys disk drives before knowing that the disks are bad and I already have a pile of dead Mac, PC and Amiga drives from testing them out not knowing until it was too late (alot of wasted £££ 🙁 ).

So I want to make some new floppies for my older machines which means I need access to a PC that can write 720K disks reliably aswell as 1.44MB. My old Tosh Satellite is ideal for this being it has a drive that accepts and roperly formats both types of disk.

Since I'll need to drag some stuff from the inter-webs, is there a WiFi PCMCIA card that has available drivers for Windows 98SE? Failing that, a card and driver that can atleast hook up Ethernet (10-Base-T, etc.)?

Sorry if this is an old chestnut that's been asked before, feel free to delete this thread if so and feel free to give me a spanking for it.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tokyoracer wrote:
It's been a while but after a house move and managing my my stuff from storage I'm finally getting round to sorting out my machi […]
Show full quote

It's been a while but after a house move and managing my my stuff from storage I'm finally getting round to sorting out my machines. However in the time my disks have been away, most are now unusable and gotten mould. I hate when this happens since it destroys disk drives before knowing that the disks are bad and I already have a pile of dead Mac, PC and Amiga drives from testing them out not knowing until it was too late (alot of wasted £££ 🙁 ).

So I want to make some new floppies for my older machines which means I need access to a PC that can write 720K disks reliably aswell as 1.44MB. My old Tosh Satellite is ideal for this being it has a drive that accepts and roperly formats both types of disk.

Since I'll need to drag some stuff from the inter-webs, is there a WiFi PCMCIA card that has available drivers for Windows 98SE? Failing that, a card and driver that can atleast hook up Ethernet (10-Base-T, etc.)?

Sorry if this is an old chestnut that's been asked before, feel free to delete this thread if so and feel free to give me a spanking for it.

Thanks in advance!

Very few are compatible with WPA2... PCMCIA cards were just being phased out just after the infancy of Wifi, so many PCMCIA Wifi cards will not support later features....... What you could do though if you cannot find a WPA compatible card is switch your router over to WEP just until you have everything transferred..... and for an extra layer of security maybe apply a MAC filter if you know you have neighbors who like to poke around.
As for card recommendations..... I have the V3 version of this one and it works pretty well, but like I said it doesn't work with WPA2... they are selling the V4 variant here, and I don't know if it's WPA/2 compatible or not
https://www.ebay.com/i/162766166017

Reply 2 of 6, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice thanks for the info, going to try out the WPC54G.

G-speed and (apparently) WPA2 compatible. Even says on the side of the box it supports 98SE! Got to be worth a try for a fiver new and sealed...

Reply 4 of 6, by Dirk Daring

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tokyoracer wrote:

Nice thanks for the info, going to try out the WPC54G.

G-speed and (apparently) WPA2 compatible. Even says on the side of the box it supports 98SE! Got to be worth a try for a fiver new and sealed...

I would think anything 802.11G compatible should definitely have WPA support..... 🤣 I wasn't even aware any 802.11G PCMCIA cards were made.

Reply 6 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, try using forum search or Google restricted to vogons.org, this has been discussed many times before. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto