VOGONS

First post, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there, right now i have a rage iic card on my aopen ax59pro while waiting for some more hardware to arrive or until i find my old voodoo cards but wanted to play some motoracer and the performance is god awful on the rage card.

Managed to find a https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N62256DP2-RH#ov but unsure if it will work on the motherboard and don't want to end up messing something up, any ideas if this would work until i can get something less overkill.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the notches on the picture are correct it should work but i doubt it as many Geforce6 cards do not fit (but some do).

It will be overkill anyway and on a super 7 board you can use very cheap and common options like a Gefore4 mx440 and still the system would be too slow to fully use it.

Good options are: Geforce2(mx),Geforce3, Geforce4(mx) or Matrox G200 or G400. Voodoo2 or 3 is also a fine choice.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 7, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thank you very much for the help 😀

Went to the garage to see if i could find one of the banshees or voodoo 1 but no luck, must be in the damn boxes up by the ceiling 🙁

Found this though: http://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-Creative_Labs/3D_Bl … O_-_CT6970.html

Would that be more likely to work? http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/ … 1505_546728.jpg (google picture for reference)

I think it was my first card after switching from the voodoos so would be cool if was still useful.

At least found some pci soundblasters too which i'm sure will come useful for windows.

Thank you once again!

Reply 3 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Geforce256 ddr will certainly work fine also. The reason i didn't mention it is that it is not a cheap option nowadays.... The 256 DDR is highly sought after and therefor not a cheap card anymore.

It is the first Geforce so that must be the reason people want it.

Reply 4 of 7, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh sweet, thank you!

Gonna clean it with some isopropyl and slot it in, much appreciated for the help.

Glad i could find it but still bummed about not finding the voodoos 🙁, will try again next weekend.

Had some free time today but no luck finding the voodoos, guess i'll have to order one or two, really wanted it for my non agp s7 build 🙁, did find my old geforce 2 ultra though so at least am okay on the nvidia agp front.

Cheers

Reply 5 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is possible that the Geforce256 uses to much current for a socket 7 motherboard. A GF2MX is much more power efficient and not necessarily slower, especially not in a socket 7 system.
Phil wrote that it runs fine in your board, though: What is the best graphics card for Super Socket 7? My journey :D

Reply 6 of 7, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to raise a similar question.
I once owned a GA-5XX board in which I had, for fun, a GeForce4 Ti4200 running. A few days later the board was "dead". Thinking about it a good 3 years later it may have been a "simple" repair which would have resurrected the board.

Reply 7 of 7, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AX59PRO does not have problems with agp voltage regulators (like for example older revisions of the Fic pa-2013).

Same holds true for the Ga-5ax rev. 4.1 and 5.2 i do not know about older revisions..maybe those had linear voltage regulators which had problems with more powerful agp cards at the time.