LPX Platform Search

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: LPX Platform Search

Postby emosun » 2017-11-30 @ 20:13

yawetaG wrote:Perhaps you could be a little less condescending and insulting?

nope. you had your chance to actually sit and think before you typed, and you chose not to.

yawetaG wrote:just because some people disagree with you on how hot LPX systems can get

some people? you mean you? and an a very sparse wikipedia entry?

yawetaG wrote:you want to claim and prove that a riser board installed right in the middle of a low case with very nearby 3.5" and 5.25" bays and PSU does not restrict airflow at all, be my guest.

don't tempt me lol. I have two identical packard bell cases with the same cpu in them. The only difference is one is lpx and the other is atx. You going to sit there and pretend that the lpx pentium 1 will somehow be hotter? lol , in your dreams

yawetaG wrote:I suspect that some people who are in the business of designing optimized designs for cooling hardware will be very interested in your physics-defying results.

gee , can't figure out why I'm so condescending and insulting. maybe it might be when you type this kind of garbage to someone who knows lpx a lot better than you and your 5 minute wikipedia knowledge do.

yawetaG wrote:Or perhaps you could point me at the mass of post-Pentium II LPX designs released for even hotter processors such as AMD Athlon and Intel P3 and P4? Clearly, those must exist, eh? WITH LINKS (my Google-fu finds nothing).

See , this just goes to show that you don't know a lot about the platform.

all of these are direct bolt in lpx boards that even fit the rear flat I/O standard for old packard bell and ibm cases. all of these boards are used in industrial machines , the kind of machines that hardly ever get turned off. And these are just a few examples of ones that have flat lying I/O there's plenty more that use much taller I/O standards.

an just for good measure heres one that's DUAL SOCKET 8, but no go ahead and continue telling someone that lpx couldn't support hotter cpu's even though this is literally the first time you've seen all 4 of these boards.

emosun

Postby emosun » 2017-11-30 @ 20:20

not that any of that matters

becuase i recommended a measly pentium 2 which needs less airflow than a child blowing out birthday candles. what a waste of my time trying to teach people stuff they can look up themselves. yeesh
emosun

Postby FesterBlatz » 2017-11-30 @ 20:39

emosun: Normally I try to avoid instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

Seriously, get a grip and try not take a difference of opinion so personally.
FesterBlatz

Postby emosun » 2017-11-30 @ 20:50

FesterBlatz wrote:emosun: Normally I refuse to stoop to the level of instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

ya know , I would have preferred he let it go. Because it takes time to type all that and he'll barely skim it anyway. In the grand scheme of things , so long as we aren't name calling or yelling , then it's just a heated discussion. :blah:
emosun

Postby FesterBlatz » 2017-11-30 @ 21:00

But that's the thing. YOU are not participating in a heated discussion. You're clearly taking it personal and by preferring he "let it go", it's obviously a competition for you to prove who's right and who's wrong.

If you re-read this thread, where did anyone ask what your opinion was? Since this is a public forum for people with like-minded interests to discuss interesting topics, obviously everyone is welcome to SHARE their opinions. But to lash out irrationally and pound your chest claiming you're right and he's wrong...that's not conducive to a constructive discussion.

My comments on the matter only cause to further derail this particular topic, so I'll refrain from posting any further to that effect.
FesterBlatz

Postby emosun » 2017-11-30 @ 21:11

FesterBlatz wrote:Since this is a public forum for people with like-minded interests to discuss interesting topics, obviously everyone is welcome to SHARE their opinions. But to lash out irrationally and pound your chest claiming you're right and he's wrong...that's not conducive to a constructive discussion.

You know I usually agree with that. Like nvidia vs ati or amd vs intel or raid 0 vs 1, there's no real correct answer at all. It's very much open to interpretation.

But saying a board overheats due to it's shape , just isn't correct. Especially in ye olde pentium 1 and 2 days. These boards were phased out because they needed two pcb's and it's cheaper to make one. Thats why AT and ATX were usually the dominant form factors , they're cheaper and easier to make.

but yeah we're so far off topic now its nuts :lol:
emosun

Postby gdjacobs » 2017-12-01 @ 05:32

Out of idle curiosity, are there any options for sourcing new/NOS LPX cases?
gdjacobs
l33t++

Postby yawetaG » 2017-12-01 @ 07:45

emosun wrote:
FesterBlatz wrote:emosun: Normally I refuse to stoop to the level of instigating your kind of irrational behavior, but after your last two posts did you go smile at yourself in the mirror because of how awesome you are?

ya know , I would have preferred he let it go. Because it takes time to type all that and he'll barely skim it anyway. In the grand scheme of things , so long as we aren't name calling or yelling , then it's just a heated discussion. :blah:

Excuse me? You started acting all high and mighty instead of just being civil, and now you accuse me of not letting it go? Festerblatz is entirely right about this, you made it personal - and keep making it personal.

Emosun, I had fun reading your informative posts in the past, before you chose a petty reason to go all high and mighty and start behaving like a total jerkass. Let's do this usenet style: *PLONK*.

Apologies to other posters, but...Christ. With some people it's like you aren't ever allowed to say something that might be wrong without them going ballistic. Perhaps instead I ought to have fired up my LPX system and tried to see whether I could not hear emosun's posts over the sound of that system's fans... :lol:
yawetaG
Oldbie

Postby gdjacobs » 2017-12-01 @ 08:00

Instead of apologizing, please either (or both) of you be the bigger forum member and just quit the argument.
gdjacobs
l33t++

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware