VOGONS

First post, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm pretty new here, I joined yesterday hoping I'd get some help regarding my computer.

Looking over the different forum categories I saw there are sections for Graphics and Sound cards, however I'd like to ask for help about both in this post.

I recently bought an old prebuilt Windows machine online which came with an nVidia RIVA TNT2 M64 installed. I bought a SB16 CT2230 seperately, which I could easily set up and worked wonders, until now.

When I got the computer all the BIOS settings were changed up (it's a '98 Award Modular on an ASUS P2B Rev 1005 MBoard). I wanted to see what I could change to get the graphics card working properly because it crashes when running 3D games, and when it runs on the latest 9x NVidia drivers, anything goes!

Anyway, I reset the settings to their factory defaults which ended up screwing the sound card over. Now, when I run Windows, it plays certain sounds and is shortly after always interrupted, giving an error message saying the card is in use.

I've tried playing around with the IRQ and DMA settings, no luck. I even tried plugging the thing into a different ISA port, which stopped the BIOS from loading.

About the TNT2, I checked every option there is but it still crashes one way or another.

I'm hoping to use the site more because I saw some of the topics on here and found them pretty interesting, although it was really PhilsComputerLab who inspired me to join.

Thanks in advance!

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding the TNT2, try an older driver. While the newe3st Win9x nvidia driver may support it, weird things sometimes happen when the driver is years newer than the card.
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/nvidia-windo … er-archive.html
Try something between 6.31 and 23.11 just to see if it cures the crashes.

Regarding the SB16, there may have been a BIOS setting to reserve an IRQ for ISA that when you reset to defaults, switched it from enabled to disabled. Look for something like that.

Good luck, and welcome! 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 8, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well first off, thanks for the quick reply and your welcoming!

I've already tried setting the IRQ and DMA numbers to those supposedly used by Windows (in Device Manager it says the IRQ port is 9 and DMA 1. Set the BIOS up like that and nothing changed.

I'm currently using Detonator 3 I think, will try other drivers sometime later.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 3 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the interrupts that Win98 chooses are virtual and don't make sense in a DOS world. In your BIOS, just reserve IRQ 5 instead of 9. IRQ 9 I believe is for VGA, which may explain both of your issues! The only other thing I can suggest and I'm sure you've already done it is carefully read through each BIOS screen and see if anything pops out at you.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, definitely take off these crappy nvidia drivers !
The latest good driver for the riva TNT up to the geforce 4 is the 45.23 driver for windows 98. Other drivers will always cause issues.

As for the sound card, go into the device manager, and set it to : Address 220, IRQ 5 or 7 (if you put the 7th irq, you should disable the printer port in the BIOS) and DMA 1 (and also set the other DMA to 5). That's what most sound blaster cards are set to because that's works the best

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 8, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright,

I disabled the printer ports which allowed me to set the IRQ value to 5 and re-enabled the sound card. I also got the NVidia drivers you mentioned and after a lot of fiddling I made it work. I then tried a 3D game to see if it really could function properly but it crashed after about 30 minutes... I guess I'll just get a different graphics card.

All in all thanks for the advice, really appreciate it!

Reply 6 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What game did you use and what's the actual directx version you installed ? (PS: you don't need to disable the printer port to use the IRQ5 except if your printer port is actually set to irq5, but that's quite unusual)

Oh and also, which motherboard are you using ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 8, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was actually not the printer port I disabled, it was being used by some USB to ISA controller which I somehow managed to change to IRQ4. Well, I wouldn't have used them anyway.

I have DirectX9 installed and my motherboard is an ASUS P2B

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DirectX9 creates some problems under windows 98 as well, use Directx8 instead ^^