VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, so I noticed a thread earlier about WPA2 WiFi on Windows 98.

The Linksys WPC54G card was mentioned. I got one at a thrift store for $7 the other day, new in box!

On the box and in the documentation, this card explicitly claims to be able to do the whole shebang - WPA2 security included - on Windows 98.

So I plugged it into my Toshiba Satellite 460CDT laptop to test it out on Windows 98.

Put the original CD in the drive and attempted to install it. Everything went according to plan. Appeared to install properly. Driver was installed, device manager says "device is working properly".

But when I open the included WiFi client program, it says the adapter is "inactive" and refuses to do anything with it!

I have tried several things to no avail. Opening winipcfg reveals that the adapter is indeed active and is doing stuff with TCP/IP.

What's going wrong here? Anyone have any experience with this?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 2 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the slot is a cardbus one for sure - I've run cardbus cards in it countless times.

Besides, the card is detected and running properly, gives itself an IP address and everything, it's just that the WiFi client software isn't communicating with it!

Reply 3 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gives itself an IP - you mean the 169.254.*.* APIPA stuff?

The card should have a Broadcom chipset. There might be an alternative Wifi management utility for this chipset. Or you can try to find an older/newer version of the configuration utility that you installed from the CD.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 9, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use Odyssey Client Manager 4.56: http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/L7f4QXEg/file.html

It's an universal WiFi Client for 98SE/2000/XP.

I use it to natively connect to a WPA2-AES network on 98SE using an Atheros AR5005G miniPCI card on my IBM ThinkPad T40.

I can give you a licence key for it in PM, just ask me. It's a trial, so you can test it if it works.

Reply 5 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the link!

So here's what it does:

-Installs fine
-Loads
-I can select the WPC54G as the wireless card
-It then displays "disconnected" and an IP address of 0.0.0.0
-And locks up the system entirely. Mouse can't move, nothing responds.

I can't seem to remedy this.

But I'll try a different version of the driver. In the meantime, any ideas?

Reply 6 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: Tried a newer version of the driver. Now it reads "adapter not available" before locking up the system. Great.

Reply 7 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I tried YET ANOTHER version of the driver. This time it CONNECTED TO THE NETWORK using Odyssey, but locked up after sending out 10 or so packets. So yay.

Why does it keep locking up? This is very annoying.