VOGONS

Storing your pc parts.

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you usually store your motherboards, graphics cards, I/O cards, cpus... etc? I have not found a good way to store them. So far I have put my motherboards just on a shelf in anti static bag but they take huge amount of space like that. Expansion cards have just been in a storage box, but I feel worried that some of them might get crushed by the weight of the other cards in the box. I have also not found any kind of storage option that would allow me to store all the expansion cards separately but not taking huge amount of space.

Reply 1 of 25, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an example i use my 3dfx cards: in the photo you see all the loose cards standing right next to each other. This is done with placing them on wooden blocks which have cuts in them from a saw table they usually use in construction etc.

In between the cuts there is a 3cm gap. Cards do not touch for the most part and do not need a lot of space this way. I made a couple of blocks this way and also store my other video/sound cards like this.
In total something like 200+ cards and they only use a couple of shelfs. The idea was that i wanted to store them in a way that i can very easily grab one for usage/testing/benching/checking.. whatever.

Little drawback can be a bit of dust but i don't really care, it wil not hurt anything.

Edit: when i will make more i will probably do the cuts a bit more slant so longer cards can also fit. Cards like voodoo5, awe32 or VLB do not fit now, but otherwise it works perfectly.

Attachments

• 3dfx.jpg
    Filename
    3dfx.jpg
    File size
    3.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 25, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm storing my stuff in a standard IKEA cabinet. Billy cabinets with additional doors. Not terribly expensive and it looks tidy. Then again, I don't have that much stuff to store so I'm kind of unaffected by space issues...

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    Filename
    12.jpg
    File size
    240.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by blurks on 2017-12-10, 19:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That wooden block looks nice but would it still work if you want to keep the cards in anti static bags?
I was even thinking of buying a 3D printer so I could make something that would work perfectly for expansion cards and motherboards, but those printers are quite expensive.

Reply 4 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have each loose piece of hardware in it's own antistatic bag, and everything is stored in boxes.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 25, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some plastic storage boxes, the cards are placed in anti static bags, since i it just cards and the box isn't so big i don't thin that it would crush the bottom ones.

Reply 6 of 25, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cards/mobos => individual anti-static bags in large boxes (i.e. the sort of boxes you ship full ATX cases in. One for graphics cards, one for audio cards, one for everything else. I can't believe how quickly those boxes fill up.

CPUs => found a plastic compartment box at a "home crafting" store - I think it is supposed to be used for beads and things you use for home craftin and the like. Amazingly it has two sized compartments - one just large enough for old school CPUs which need >5cm boxes, and new CPUs which can fit in 4cm boxes. I think it has about 20 compartments, and I stack up like CPUs layered with anti-static foam squares.

Memory => anti-static ram trays from china on ebay. They are a bit flimsy, and the lids are too low for some ram but better than nothing.

Cases => wrap them in garbage bags to stop redbacks getting in then storage closet.

Reply 7 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:

Cases => wrap them in garbage bags to stop redbacks getting in then storage closet.

Damn... I am glad that I do not live in Australia. They are not to be messed with.
Here in Denmark, we do not have any deadly spider at all. And our only viper, is as deadly as a bee sting.
Nope... Happy that we do not have any of those aggressive and deadly redback's.

Reply 8 of 25, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Damn... I am glad that I do not live in Australia. They are not to be messed with. Here in Denmark, we do not have any deadly sp […]
Show full quote
squiggly wrote:

Damn... I am glad that I do not live in Australia. They are not to be messed with.
Here in Denmark, we do not have any deadly spider at all. And our only viper, is as deadly as a bee sting.

I would rather a redback than our most deadly viper.

Reply 9 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squiggly wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Damn... I am glad that I do not live in Australia. They are not to be messed with. Here in Denmark, we do not have any deadly sp […]
Show full quote
squiggly wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEeq5qGh8I

Reply 10 of 25, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:

I'm storing my stuff in a standard IKEA cabinet. Billy cabinets with additional doors. Not terribly expensive and it looks tidy. Then again, I don't have that much stuff to store so I'm kind of unaffected by space issues...

I had exactly the same Billy setup as you, but for software only. This is from about 2 years ago, in an apartment:

6hnkwn.jpg

Now, I've got another two Billy cabinets but with the top extension, and no doors, for games. No pics yet as it's a mess!

squiggly wrote:

For sure. Or a funnel web spider. Just got an AT power supply with two massive, dead white-tail spiders in it, they are kill on sight critters. Most other things (redbacks included) get a second chance outside.

Reply 11 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best method would be something that wouldn't take too much space, but would still allow me to label each of them. At the moment I just usually have to take out dozens of them out of the box to find the one that I want to use.

Reply 12 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's also these older threads which may contain extra bits of information 😀

How do you store your computer parts?
How do you store your computer parts?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
How do you organise / sort / store all your retro gear?
How do we store our (hardware) collection?
Lets all share tips of how we organize our collection of retro computer stuff :)

Links taken from the Vogonswiki http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Interesti … _Vogons_Threads

I thought there was at least one more? But I seem to have forgotten to add it to the Vogonswiki page, oh well 😐

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:
brostenen wrote:
Show full quote
squiggly wrote:

It is this one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_berus
Common throughout most of Europe. The worst case scenario is an extreme allergic reaction.
Some 13% of all bites require thorough medical attention like antivenom, else they are not more poisones than bee's or yellowjacket's. I don't know how often they bite in warmer climate, though in Denmark they tend to flee in fear when human approaches.

On topic:
A couple of random pictures of my storage, compact and in one space. 😀

Storage-01.jpg
Filename
Storage-01.jpg
File size
402.52 KiB
Views
File comment
All loose parts in boxes, stored in the closet.
File license
Storage-02.jpg
Filename
Storage-02.jpg
File size
399.98 KiB
Views
File comment
Just a couple of my AT systems, neatly lined up. (more parts on the top)
File license

Reply 16 of 25, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd suggest keeping motherboard boxes whenever they arise. Stick whatever cards/boards you want in there, and then keep a note of which one has what device. You can then stack them normally without worry of stuff getting crushed.

Reply 17 of 25, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mainboards en GPU's go in here:
9200000002755697.jpg
Placed vertically, next to each other. Each one labelled and put in an anti ESD bag. The 2+ slot GPU's I have on display on the shelf.

Reply 18 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Thanks. I did try to search old topics about this before I posted this thread, but for some reason those topics did not show up.

Yw 😀
I made this list so certain things may be easier to find and I think it's always good to have extra alternatives available 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ampera wrote:

I'd suggest keeping motherboard boxes whenever they arise. Stick whatever cards/boards you want in there, and then keep a note of which one has what device. You can then stack them normally without worry of stuff getting crushed.

Definitely keep motherboard boxes 😀
Motherboard boxes cannot be stacked indefinitely though. I prefer my kiwi boxes for that, those can literally be stacked all the way to the ceiling 😁

Report spammers here!