VOGONS

First post, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello folks,
Does anyone have any info about the board below? It is marked as "SM-P5TX3", on elhvb they describe it as "KM-T5-T3 aka Informtech 533T-AT aka Mentor BN533T aka BCM SQ572 aka SanLi/Superpower SM-P5TX3" but that board looks quite different from mine, including jumper settings. And that is exactly the issue I'm facing now. My board came with a K6/233 but I want to use a K5 CPU on it, and there are no jumpers for single voltage. From what I know, most of the S7 boards have jumpers for choosing single or dual voltage (P54C/P55C), but this seems to be an exception.
Most of this board's jumpers (core voltage, fsb, multiplier) are documented on the board, but there are two unknown ones (J15 and J14 on the VRM detail photo). They seem to be controlling the I/O voltage, as follows:

J15 closed, J14 open = 3.44V
J15 open, J14 closed = 3.47V
both closed = 2.36V (useless)
both open = 4.31V (useless and maybe dangerous?)
(Also, the difference between the first two settings is so small, I wonder why they even bothered)

In the end I installed the K5, setting the core voltage via J17 to 3.5V and the I/O voltage to the higher setting of 3.47V and it seems to work (it boots, CPU is recognized, nothing gets too hot). But I'm wondering if it's okay to use it like that. Because now the two power planes (Vcore and I/O) are effectively shorted together by the CPU.

SM-P5TX3.jpg
Filename
SM-P5TX3.jpg
File size
457.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SM-P5TX3_VRM.jpg
Filename
SM-P5TX3_VRM.jpg
File size
342.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is what i found:

http://wims.rainbow-software.org/edwin/SanLi% … P5TX3%20UMC.txt

SanLi/Superpower SM-P5TX3 = OEM version of Jamicon/Kamei KM-T5-T3

02/27/98-i430TX-SMC60X-2A59IK1CC-00
SM-P5Tx3 Rev 1.2 128GB BETA

tested OK with Western Digital WD800JB

128GB max

Website is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/19980218033139/htt … ower.com.tw:80/

Dont know if i can find more.

Found a compatible manual:

http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/kaimei/km-t5-t3.pdf

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 5, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right. To make things more interesting, it appears there are TWO SM-P5TX3 boards from different manufacturers. One is the Kaime/Jamicon variety, one is the SECTOR variety. From what I understand that is closer to the Luckytech/Shining Yuan Enterprise P5TX3 (I am not making those names up here people). Now I have been hunting SYE stuff before, let's see what I can dig up.

Incestuous bunch of makers they are...

Reply 5 of 5, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your input, I was quite sure there must be a interesting story behind this. Now that you mentioned, the sticker on one of the cache chips resembles (or is identical) to the ones found on Luckytech boards...