VOGONS

First post, by muon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Does anybody know model of this mainboard?

https://image.ibb.co/k1uK0G/image3.jpg

image3.jpg

Thanks in advanced

Reply 1 of 10, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

White ISA slots would suggest ECS brand.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a pcchips m915i with fake cache (though the fake cache isn't soldered on yours, so you can replace it with real one, that'll do the trick !)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 10, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

That's a pcchips m915i with fake cache (though the fake cache isn't soldered on yours, so you can replace it with real one, that'll do the trick !)

I came across a few boards back in the day with fake cache + dip sockets but if you flip the board over the traces went straight to oblivion (so adding real cache wouldn't work).. Easy to tell if you look though. I can't tell from the pic, my browser is making me zoom out 100 miles to see the cache 😒

Hope that's not the case with this one, it's a nice late era board for a "high end" 486.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that board (until it died 🙁 ) and after removing fake cache and puting real one, it worked ! I checked with cachechk and speedsys. I've only seen the traces going to nowhere on the pcchips m919 for now.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the problem isn't really their speed (the chipset is the latest UMC chipset available) but their reliability : the PCB is super thin ... and that's the reason my board died ... After mounting/dismantling it several times, it died 🙁

Reply 8 of 10, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sucks, I wanted to buy one on ebay just for the "freak"-factor. Well, I'll rather refrain from doing that.
Feiopa has one too and his seems to be still working... would be interesting if he chimed in on this.

Reply 9 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Well the problem isn't really their speed (the chipset is the latest UMC chipset available) but their reliability : the PCB is super thin ... and that's the reason my board died ... After mounting/dismantling it several times, it died

Yeah, I have a PCChips M921 (486 PCI+ISA) which looked brand new when I got it, but installing just a couple of expansion cards once caused it to bend like a sheet of paper. It still works well but these are very shoddily built in true PCChips tradition.

Reply 10 of 10, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the board can be stabilized so that it is more rigid and won't break over time, this is a fantastic board since it supports both VLB and PCI on the same board. The only board I ever found with more flexibility was in an ad from back in the day which was EISA/VLB/PCI--you could use any card with that besides Microchannel. 😎