VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Would this cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Din-9-pin-Male- … wwAAOxyFrNRwOpq

Work for making a VGA Pass-Through Cable for a Canopus Pure 3D Card? The pinout looks right and I could just wire it up to a normal 15-Pin VGA Cable matching this pinout:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18659

Would it work?

Reply 1 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could just purchase a 9 pin minidin connector and cannibalize a VGA cable. Could pay a heck of a lot less than that eBay auction. Not to mention that if it is pushing RGB like a VGA cable, the VGA cable as a base would give you shielded mini coax for RGB.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 2 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The pins on the Canopus though have 2 of the 3 top pins offset from the third, so any normal 9pin Din wouldnt have that as the top 3 pins are all equal in distance from each other....need to find a Type B from what I can read.

Reply 3 of 14, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why not use a VGA switch to manually switch between the 2D card and the voodoo? That could be easier and likely cheaper obtain.

something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ports-Way-SVGA-VGA … OYAAOSwr6pZ-~EM

Reply 5 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

The pins on the Canopus though have 2 of the 3 top pins offset from the third, so any normal 9pin Din wouldnt have that as the top 3 pins are all equal in distance from each other....need to find a Type B from what I can read.

I thought that offset you mentioned was pretty standard fare - it is the same as the Sega Genesis Model 2, right? (I don't own a Canopus Pure 3D)

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connector … d=0&pageSize=25

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 7 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CkRtech wrote:
Smack2k wrote:

I thought that offset you mentioned was pretty standard fare - it is the same as the Sega Genesis Model 2, right? (I don't own a Canopus Pure 3D)

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connector … d=0&pageSize=25

Yes, that looks identical.....so I assume it would work when wired properly with a standard VGA Cable...I will be giving it a shot...

Reply 8 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome. I'd recommend you check the sleeve width and make sure it accommodates whichever VGA cable you choose to use. While you can always cut away some of the gasket for the connector, you definitely want the strain relief of the plug to be able to clamp the insulation of the cable.

Reply 9 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had to completely remove the jacket cover to get to the 9-Pin Connector fully, as the jacket was almost glued onto the connector....so the jacket is shot but I have the connector.

Going to see what I can do to replace the jacket if anyone has any suggestions, then going to make a first attempt at the connections with a VGA Cable as its a lot of close soldering and my soldering is not top notch yet...

Just in case, I ordered a couple mini din 9 Pin Type B connector kits I can use if this goes awry or I cant do anything to replace the jacket...

Reply 10 of 14, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good call on the extra kits.

I tend to use heat shrink for closing up my solder points to a connector. You could also use larger heat shrink for replacing your sleeve - assuming it is just the tapered sleeve and not the entire hard plastic surrounding the din that is unusable.

Reply 11 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone ever have any luck with making these? For the one I made, cut a 9pin minidin b cable, cut a decent vga cable, stripped the needed wires from vga and wires from minidin cable and soldered them together. I got video when i hooked it up to the Canopus and 2D card but it was washed out and colors were off...

Would soldering the VGA cable wires directly to the pins of a 9 pin minidin adapter work better possibly?

Reply 12 of 14, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Smack2k wrote:

Anyone ever have any luck with making these? For the one I made, cut a 9pin minidin b cable, cut a decent vga cable, stripped the needed wires from vga and wires from minidin cable and soldered them together. I got video when i hooked it up to the Canopus and 2D card but it was washed out and colors were off...

Would soldering the VGA cable wires directly to the pins of a 9 pin minidin adapter work better possibly?

I purchased this cable from Ebay,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-Designs-RealMa … 353.m2749.l2649

Hope it will work!

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 14 of 14, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ended up picking one up and it was a no go (paid way less for it then they were asking)....not sure why as its the right cable and connects fine but no video coming through with it connected.

I connected up a normal Voodoo1 with a normal pass through and video came through fine.....unless my Canopus card went bad.....

Maybe I can take this cable and connect to a different VGA cable....who knows.....