VOGONS

First post, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe someone on here can help me with a driver problem, I am looking for a windows 3.1 driver for a laptop that originally would have came with windows 95 or 98. I am looking for a ESS ES336/ES56 data/fax driver for windows 3.1. It says in the manual for the machine it is windows 3.1 compatible, so some driver out there should work for it. I can find nothing about this modem , the only thing I know about it does connect to the laptop via an internal serial port. To install the driver there are 3 files a MDMESS.INF , ESMDMX.VXD, ESUART.VXD, ESMDMX is the windows 95 driver, and the ESUART is the windows 95 dos-box driver.

Reply 2 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:

I somehow think I have this in a bunch of stuff I haven't touched in decades. 🙁 Hopefully someone else has these more accessible for you.

a few days ago I found a web archive of the ESS website, it only has the drivers for the card for windows 9x , and windows NT based, up to windows xp , But I think there was a driver that a company made that made this same ESS modem work for DOS and windows 3.1x>. Another thing is this modem is a ISA plug n play, so the modem is on the ISA bus on my laptop.

Reply 3 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MichaelWeaser wrote:
Samir wrote:

I somehow think I have this in a bunch of stuff I haven't touched in decades. 🙁 Hopefully someone else has these more accessible for you.

a few days ago I found a web archive of the ESS website, it only has the drivers for the card for windows 9x , and windows NT based, up to windows xp , But I think there was a driver that a company made that made this same ESS modem work for DOS and windows 3.1x>. Another thing is this modem is a ISA plug n play, so the modem is on the ISA bus on my laptop.

I would download the win9x drivers and see if you can find them there. A lot of manufacturers started not mentioning all the drivers in their packages since older stuff was obsolete. Perfect case in point is Intel PCI NICs--you can still find DOS drivers for them in recent driver packages. 😎

Reply 4 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:
MichaelWeaser wrote:
Samir wrote:

I would download the win9x drivers and see if you can find them there. A lot of manufacturers started not mentioning all the drivers in their packages since older stuff was obsolete. Perfect case in point is Intel PCI NICs--you can still find DOS drivers for them in recent driver packages. 😎

Yeah its not there, there are no DOS drivers for it there either. yeah its unknown if the ESS modem even works under DOS , its a total mystery. But I was googling and found what chips ESS used in their modems has been used. http://web.archive.org/web/20080915075215/htt … rivers-dis.shtm this is the archive of ESS drivers on there website , and it even tells what modem Chip(s) is used in a certain ESS modem. The chips were designed by ESS, and used in other modems that weren't ESS, and some of them have DOS drivers even if ESS doesn't supply drivers. most of the drivers for other modems using ESS modem chips use the same drivers as ESS own modem series, for windows 9x . A lot of them did have DOS drivers , So if it uses the same ESS drivers as windows 9x , I am thinking if I can find a DOS driver from another modem that has the same ESS chips as my ESS branded modem , the drivers might work for my ESS branded modem for DOS.

Reply 5 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I remember about these 'soft modems' (besides the fact that they were horrible), is that many of them didn't work in DOS--only Windows. I know either my brother's winbook xp5 or my original winbook may have had the same softmodem, but both systems haven't been powered on in many years and I don't know where all the software is for them right now. I thought we had it backed up somewhere.

Reply 6 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:

From what I remember about these 'soft modems' (besides the fact that they were horrible), is that many of them didn't work in DOS--only Windows. I know either my brother's winbook xp5 or my original winbook may have had the same softmodem, but both systems haven't been powered on in many years and I don't know where all the software is for them right now. I thought we had it backed up somewhere.

Most winmodems / softmodems didn't have DOS drivers but a few actually did , and the chips that ESS designed apparently do , only some though. If I can't find a working driver , I'm going to find a Serial port modem, or possibly a PCMCIA modem.

Reply 7 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gotcha, and that does ring a bell as I used to stay on top of early PC tech like a hawk and recall something like that about the ESS modems.

If you end up going another route, definitely go the route of a serial port as PCMCIA devices had their own set of challenges with card services and then drivers for the devices to interface with the card services. Not much stuff worked directly in DOS without the right drivers. Much, much, much more hassle than a regular external modem attached to a serial port.

Reply 8 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:

Gotcha, and that does ring a bell as I used to stay on top of early PC tech like a hawk and recall something like that about the ESS modems.

If you end up going another route, definitely go the route of a serial port as PCMCIA devices had their own set of challenges with card services and then drivers for the devices to interface with the card services. Not much stuff worked directly in DOS without the right drivers. Much, much, much more hassle than a regular external modem attached to a serial port.

I still need lots of help finding a driver for DOS though , google doesn't help at all even though I know a driver was apparently available. I will probably find a driver eventually .

Reply 11 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MERCURY127 wrote:

Win3x driver must include .386 files, not .vxd. Also, PCI modems use Non-Legacy COM ports, and cant work in DOS/Win3x.

its actually a internal ISA modem on a laptop , and I am trying to find the windows 3.1 / DOS drivers , I have the windows 9x drivers listed, some modems existed used the same drivers that my ESS modem for windows 9x and included DOS/ windows 3.1 drivers , other modem companies used ESS modem chips in there products.

Reply 15 of 18, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MichaelWeaser wrote:

What I found out is, the modem is basically a winmodem, and only had drivers for windows 95 and up.

How old is it though? Because I remember there were also winmodems that had dos and win3.1 drivers.

Reply 16 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Samir wrote:
MichaelWeaser wrote:

What I found out is, the modem is basically a winmodem, and only had drivers for windows 95 and up.

How old is it though? Because I remember there were also winmodems that had dos and win3.1 drivers.

The modem is from around 96-97 possibly , or maybe 98 , the laptop is from 1998. I found the web archive of the website for the modem, and its only listed as support for windows 95 and up. http://web.archive.org/web/20080915075215/htt … rivers-dis.shtm

Reply 17 of 18, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing online for Windows 3.1, just only Windows 95 or higher, unfortunately. Were 56K modems supported for Windows 3.1, or does it require Windows 95 or higher for that? The only modem I had back then was a 14.4K modem, and I have a 2400 baud in my Packard Bell (standard).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18 of 18, by MichaelWeaser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Nothing online for Windows 3.1, just only Windows 95 or higher, unfortunately. Were 56K modems supported for Windows 3.1, or does it require Windows 95 or higher for that? The only modem I had back then was a 14.4K modem, and I have a 2400 baud in my Packard Bell (standard).

I think 56k modems existed for windows 3.1, but I am not totally sure