VOGONS

First post, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So got two k6-iii+ 400 cpu's today to rule out issues i had with previous k6-2 cpu's i had.

I have the latest aopen ax59pro bios rev and even at default clock/voltage it seemed like sometimes it didn't want to boot up, monitor would turn on but no image and no post sound.

Tried to up the clock a bit but same thing obviously, then i connected a s3virge and with the s3virge it boots up fine even at 6x multiplier.

So i plugged the agp card back in and decided to try 95mhz fsb instead of 100 and now it boots up everytime fine, but seems weird since with the k6-2's i never had issues with the agp cards booting at 100mhz fsb.

95mhz fsb has the agp clock at 64mhz and 100 66mhz.

Any idea what could cause this? Would rather run the cpu at 100fsb if possible.

My agp cards are geforce256 and geforce 2 ultra, tried both without luck with 100fsb.

Reply 2 of 8, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Switched to a corsair i had on the homeserver, it's a tx550 or so.

I just remembered i had a rage iic agp card laying around and tried that and posted fine even at 600.

Could it be some weird imcompatibility with the geforces i have? Both are from creative.

Will try later on the p5a but could just be something with the ax59pro, sadly don't have any more good cards to test with right now besides the rage iic.

Reply 3 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the GeForce256 and GeForce2 Ultra draws too much current and makes the 3.3V supply unstable. Some early AGP motherboards got their own 3.3V regulator instead of using the 3.3V rail from the PSU and the SDRAM and northbridge might use 3.3V from the same regulator.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 8, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much, tried a different old psu (in case there was something funky with the corsair) from enlighten that i use on the testbench and same thing, at 400 it will post once in every 3-4 times with 100mhz bus at 450 one in like 10 times, so guess that's why.

Would a mx400 be less power hungry or would a voodoo 2 or so be the best option?

Will test it on the p5a after dinner but yeah i guess it's something with ax59pro.

What's weird is that with the k6-2 450 and 500 it always posted fine with 100mhz, so pretty confused why with the k6-iii+ 400 the 100mhz bus would become an issue with the geforces.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like i said in another thread of yours:

AX59PRO does not have problems with agp voltage regulators (like for example older revisions of the Fic pa-2013).

Same holds true for the Ga-5ax rev. 4.1 and 5.2 i do not know about older revisions..maybe those had linear voltage regulators which had problems with more powerful agp cards at the time.

Something must be wrong with that board, i have no problems with mine with ANY agp card.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 8, by boink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey thanks meljor, yeah the board had never had issues posting in the past with the geforce2, did have issues with a k6-2 cpu and installing windows back then, but when i switched to the cyrix it seemed to be alright.

Now with the k6-iii+ the issue is right at post, it's fine if i drop the bus to 95 from 100 though.

And yeah i guess most likely the board has something messed up somewhere possibly but hate how it seems to go from working fine to random voodoo stuff.

Well will try to install windows at 95mhz bus and place the other k6-iii+ on the p5a since that one hasn't let me down yet compatibility wise.

Reply 7 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it is around 20 years old now so anything can happen. I would try a full recap on the board and see if it helps. Mvp3 boards can also be very picky with ram so try other sticks, preferably 1 stick of 128mb pc100/pc133.

If you are only running edo ram or pc66 sdram make sure the divider jumper is set correctly! (ram is agp speed instead of ram is cpu/fsb speed).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1