VOGONS

First post, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I´ve got two different Pentium II/III motherboards and in both the AGP port works a bit tricky so to speak. Every time I plug-in a graphics card I need to reallocate it several times until it´s properly detected. I´ve previosly cleaned each component with contact cleaner but the problem persist.

Is this a normal behaviour with this old hardware?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Due to the way the contacts of AGP are arranged, this is quite normal. The slot bracket may not be correctly aligned or the case is just cheap and bent. Then not all contacts have, well, contact. 😉 I remember having that problem a few times back then as well. The card needs to be perfectly even, which may require some tries. Also had the case that after connecting a VGA cable several times, I had to reseat the AGP card.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, edit function seems to be gone for some reason... weird.

Also, picky AGP slots are fairly common. This is why people used to put a blob of hot glue on the edge of AGP cards\slots to keep them from shifting during transport. If I had to guess, the odd shape of the contacts on the AGP slot are to blame. PCI-E and PCI cards with their straight contacts seem to be far less problematic.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 5, by JetSetWilly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I'd say check your caps and your PSU.

At first sight they are quite well, neither deformed nor dented. I´ve seen other mobos with their caps in worse condition but it´s not the case, fortunately.

derSammler wrote:

Due to the way the contacts of AGP are arranged, this is quite normal. The slot bracket may not be correctly aligned or the case is just cheap and bent. Then not all contacts have, well, contact. 😉 I remember having that problem a few times back then as well. The card needs to be perfectly even, which may require some tries. Also had the case that after connecting a VGA cable several times, I had to reseat the AGP card.

Ozzuneoj wrote:

Yep, edit function seems to be gone for some reason... weird.

Also, picky AGP slots are fairly common. This is why people used to put a blob of hot glue on the edge of AGP cards\slots to keep them from shifting during transport. If I had to guess, the odd shape of the contacts on the AGP slot are to blame. PCI-E and PCI cards with their straight contacts seem to be far less problematic.

Thanks for your explanation, it makes sense. Back in the 90s maybe I didn´t change my vga´s very often so I can´t remember these problems, but today I like to test several configs and the AGP is a pain in the ass.