VOGONS

Reply 40 of 53, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2018-01-20, 07:13:
Samir wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Just an update. I received these the other day and they are brand new in original box.

I'll post another update when I test.

Please do. I'm interested in how these work since I have a few applications that could use it.

Small world too. I spend a lot of time in the Huntsville area, especially in the car enthusiast scene. 😎

Do you go to the car meets in Providence Main ? I drive through there twice a day 😀

I don't know why I didn't get notifications of replies until now, years later, 🤣.

But to answer your question, yes I did. In fact, I'm the one who started those events in the first place (regardless of what people taking the credit may say to the contrary). Fun fact--David Slyman, the developer of Providence, has a classic VW Beetle. He's brought it out once or twice.

Reply 41 of 53, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Instead of going through all that effort, I would look for an iogear 2 port kvm that was discontinued a long time ago model GCS1732: https://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1732 (there is also others in this series that can do the same job)

This had a usb inputs for the console, but depending on the type of cables you got, you could control usb or ps2. So you just need cable G2L5302P/G2L5303P to go with it and you should be set.

I don't know if this would be able to 'light up' a modern day usb mech keyboard, but I think it would since it has its own power supply.

Reply 42 of 53, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spacesaver wrote on 2023-08-18, 23:26:

I just got a 486 motherboard, ASUS PVI-486SP3
I want to convert 1 keyboard AND 1 mouse to 1 AT connector.

that wont work. AT connector is ONLY for keyboard, keyboard controller wouldnt know what to do with mouse connected

The straightforward way as already pointed out is to just get a PS2/USB combo keyboard and multiplex them
need to multiplex the 2 PS/2 outputs to 1 AT.

pointed out where? you cant multiplex AT nor PS2 peripherals. Some laptops have _special_ PS2 port with more active pins, only there can you wire two devices into one socket

1. How do the PS/2 keyboard and mouse share the same data line?

they dont

lets start from the beginning

I just got a 486 motherboard, ASUS PVI-486SP3 and now in a similar situation. Instead of converting 1 USB keyboard to PS/2, I want to convert 1 keyboard AND 1 mouse to 1 AT connector.

1 buy PS2 keyboard, universal ps2/usb keyboard or ps2/usb converter. Last option is building ps2/usb keyboard converter with arduino/pico/whatever
2 that board already has working PS2 connector, you just need to wire it up to a socket Re: Adding mouse port to my build

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 43 of 53, by spacesaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fail ! My only experience with a 486 is with a IBM PS/1 2133-652, which had 2 PS/2 ports. So pardon my ignorance. Also, saved me a lot of wasted time 😀

I saw many PS/2 splitter cables for sale, so I thought PS/2 was shared, not point to point. I did have major doubts.

pointed out where?

I only meant that using a PS/2 compatible keyboard was the standard way mentioned on the 1st page

that board already has working PS2 connector

Great, will use that for my optical Microsoft Intellimouse, which supports PS/2

I still plan on making a converter with RPI2040, though it's easier now that it only needs to deal with 1 keyboard. I claimed the board could support 2 software USB ports, but I think I'd better double check that also.

Reply 44 of 53, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spacesaver wrote on 2023-08-19, 02:16:

mind that ps2 brackets are hard to source nowadays and pinouts arent standardized, thus my link with some ideas

I still plan on making a converter with RPI2040, though it's easier now that it only needs to deal with 1 keyboard. I claimed the board could support 2 software USB ports, but I think I'd better double check that also.

pico can bitbang several more USB ports https://github.com/sekigon-gonnoc/Pico-PIO-USB, but thats not needed
Re: Using a USB keyboard with a PS/2 or AT port
https://github.com/No0ne/ps2x2pico USB hub will do
https://github.com/No0ne/ps2pico

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 45 of 53, by Samir

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-19, 07:38:

mind that ps2 brackets are hard to source nowadays and pinouts arent standardized, thus my link with some ideas

Yep, back in the 486 era, we all used serial port mice. The one time I tried to adapt a mouse to ps2, I blew the motherboard and had to warranty and start again--can't do that today with a 486!

The other popular option was a bus mouse, which was a completely proprietary design using an add-in isa card.

It actually kind of shocks me that the PS/2 era keyboard and mouse ports became the standard because during the era when they were released it was still all AT and serial mouse by an overwhelming majority.

Last edited by Samir on 2023-08-19, 08:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 46 of 53, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

spacesaver, a couple days ago I modded one old Genius Net...something optical mouse from USB2.0 to PS/2 cable to use it with socket 7 mobo. Just use some ordinary old mouse with scroll and no special programmable buttons and solder to it male PS/2 connector instead of male USB2.0. I still remember pins exchange : USB pin 1 (+5V) -> PS/2 pin 4 (+5V); USB pin 2 (Data-) -> PS/2 pin 1 (data); USB pin 3 (Data+) -> PS/2 pin 5 (clock); USB pin 4 (ground) -> PS/2 pin 3 (ground). That's it - no need of dumb passive converters/adapters. I don't know from my own experience if this will be 100% OK with USB keyboard, but maybe if you use some standard (non-"multimedia") keyboard this very same mod will work too.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 47 of 53, by spacesaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fail ! How did I not find ps2pico. That's exactly what I need.

So sekigon-gonnoc/Pico-PIO-USB uses up both of the PIO units, so you can't add a 3rd USB port. But it doesn't use all the state machines within each PIO, so maybe still possible. But you can already use the USB port used for programming/debugging. I've never used a Pico, so wasn't sure if the USB port used for programming, which would be in device mode, can be put into host mode, so thought adding a 3rd USB port would be needed. But clearly it can be put into host mode as ps2pico shows.

I guess the only thing left to do is try to incorporate Pico-PIO-USB into ps2pico so that a USB hub isn't necessary

Last edited by spacesaver on 2023-08-19, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 53, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-08-19, 07:53:

spacesaver, a couple days ago I modded one old Genius Net...something optical mouse from USB2.0 to PS/2 cable to use it with socket 7 mobo. Just use some ordinary old mouse with scroll and no special programmable buttons and solder to it male PS/2 connector instead of male USB2.0. I still remember pins exchange : USB pin 1 (+5V) -> PS/2 pin 4 (+5V); USB pin 2 (Data-) -> PS/2 pin 1 (data); USB pin 3 (Data+) -> PS/2 pin 5 (clock); USB pin 4 (ground) -> PS/2 pin 3 (ground). That's it - no need of dumb passive converters/adapters.

this will only work with USB mice that originally had that 'dumb passive converter' in the box

bestemor wrote on 2023-08-19, 11:44:

This thing seems to be working though:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/dekunukem/ ... =user_menu

yes, for the low low price of ~$100 with full pi 😀

Reply 50 of 53, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-20, 00:26:

yes, for the low low price of ~$100 with full pi 😀

Great, so you agree it works then.... 😄
And yes, $100 is a low price indeed, considering the alternatives.

Reply 51 of 53, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote on 2023-08-20, 00:55:

Great, so you agree it works then.... 😄
And yes, $100 is a low price indeed, considering the alternatives.

alternative is $5 pico and 4 transistors

Reply 52 of 53, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Samir wrote on 2023-08-19, 07:50:

It actually kind of shocks me that the PS/2 era keyboard and mouse ports became the standard because during the era when they were released it was still all AT and serial mouse by an overwhelming majority.

The way I remember it is that prebuilt systems went to LPX and adopted PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports--i.e. the Packard Bells, Compaqs, IBM PS/ValuePoints, Gateway 2000s, while whitebox systems stuck with AT keyboard and serial mouse all the way up until ATX. At its peak I believe more LPX motherboards were being made each year than AT.

It wasn't until I got back into this stuff several years back that I realized most of the Pentium AT boards onward come with a PS/2 mouse header.

Reply 53 of 53, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-20, 00:26:

this will only work with USB mice that originally had that 'dumb passive converter' in the box

There was no converter/adapter with the mouse, but if someone prefers, he/she may use one of these adapters (sometimes they work with USB keyboards too):

88456812_1fe827e358_z.jpg

Since I have many USB mice, I decided to convert one of them to PS/2.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"