VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you use a GPU Fan with two wires coming off the fan into the white femaile connector and plug it into a card that has a three pin male connector slot? The two pins will fit into the slot (black and red) but leave the third pin empty...

Hope that mekes sense...

I have a 9800 XT I receieved from a friend that works great, but the fan on it has several busted blades. I have a fan from a 9600 XT I was going to use, but it has the different pin connector as mentioned above...

Reply 1 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those 2 pin connectors usually are VCC(+12v) and GND, 3 pin connectors usually are VCC(+12v),GND and one for speed detection, 4 pins are for VCC,GND,speed detection, and pwm for controlling the speed.
as long as you connect vcc to vcc and gnd to gnd it should work fine.

Reply 2 of 6, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you're willing to spend a few more bucks, they have plenty of people selling 9800 Pro fans and heatsinks on Ebay. I'm jealous, because I'd love to have a 9800 XT AGP card myself, but the only ones available have $150-$300 price tags on Ebay.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 3 of 6, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:

Those 2 pin connectors usually are VCC(+12v) and GND, 3 pin connectors usually are VCC(+12v),GND and one for speed detection, 4 pins are for VCC,GND,speed detection, and pwm for controlling the speed.

If I connect them wrong, can I fry the thing??

Just wanna check before I test it...cause if there's a chance I am just gonna go get a new fan setup....

Reply 4 of 6, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

Just wanna check before I test it...cause if there's a chance I am just gonna go get a new fan setup....

probably yes, the fan at least, the card i really don't know.
here is the pinout for those 3 pin fan
cf50e545602e40caaeebaa34d0a9ada6a8b9e720.jpg

Reply 6 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

If you switch the +12V and GND, the fan will simply not turn on. That's my experience.

Also, I like that image .legaCy posted... yellow should not be in the centre, as the pinout just underneath shows! :p