VOGONS

First post, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been trying to get Windows 98 SE installed on this computer I've assembled on an Intel D865GBF motherboard. W98SE installs just fine, but when I attempt to install the chipset I get the errors shown in the attachments below. I've also included a picture of the type of motherboard.

I downloaded the chipset from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/147 … -Desktop-Boards

All I've done is installed Windows 98 SE from CD, then went straight to the chipset update and clicked it. I have not installed anything else.

Current configuration:
Intel D865GBF Motherboard
Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 Ghz
512 MB DDR400 RAM
DVD Drive
CD Drive
Zip Drive
80 GB HDD
No soundcard currently installed
No graphics card currently installed

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
4.43 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
3.44 MiB
Views
File license
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
3.73 MiB
Views
File license
04.jpg
Filename
04.jpg
File size
2.25 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 12, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you downloaded the correct version for your OS?
Seems like these drivers aren't supposed to be installed on a Windows 98 system because the installer isn't compatible with Windows 98.

Reply 2 of 12, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

Seems like these drivers aren't supposed to be installed on a Windows 98 system because the installer isn't compatible with Windows 98.

Yes, I thought that too. However, I checked Intel's documentation and Windows 98 SE is supported for this board. Windows 98 standard is not. I was able to type in my motherboard at Intel's website, then selected Windows 98 SE from the dropdown menu, then found that chipset I linked. It's very odd.

Reply 3 of 12, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adultlunchables wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

Yes, I thought that too. However, I checked Intel's documentation and Windows 98 SE is supported for this board. Windows 98 standard is not. I was able to type in my motherboard at Intel's website, then selected Windows 98 SE from the dropdown menu, then found that chipset I linked. It's very odd.

Try downloading in any modern os and see if the installer unpack any files (like INF files and stuff) and manually copy the extracted files to a folder in your Windows 98 machine and try installing it from device manager.

Reply 5 of 12, by Erasmuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So sorry to necro an old thread but I wasn't sure if this warranted its own thread. I have been watching too much LGR and decided I needed to re-visit my youth, to be honest something sub-500Mhz would have been perfect but old hardware is hard to find (at a decent price) in my region so I landed up with the following for $20AUD:

> Intel D865GBF Motherboard
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (Hyper-threaded)
> 40GB IDE HDD ST340014A
> 512MB DDR PC2300

The issue I'm having is this hardware should crush Windows 98se but it's struggling big time, it seems be constantly interrupted by whatever it's doing. The music crackles badly on start, if I'm doing pretty much anything (installing a program, formatting a disk) the mouse/keyboard are barely responsive, the same happens if I transfer files over the network. The mouse jumps across the screen, if it moves at all, and the keyboard inputs are the same. Everything just kind of locks up, even when I'm installing something it pause after every few seconds. I tried Quake II but the sound bugs out.

The weird thing is if I wait until the task is done the computer is very fast, as it should be given the specs, it boots in under 10 seconds. I have upgraded to the latest BIOS and updated to the latest version of the drivers. I've also tried out a bunch of settings in the BIOS with no luck.

Is there anything I can do? Is this a common thing or have I picked a unique motherboard?

Reply 7 of 12, by Erasmuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks wirerogue! I installed those chipset drivers but it did not fix the issue, perhaps the mouse doesn't stick quite as much but it's still unusable if it's doing anything at all, the sound is still crackly, etc... Any other idea's? I thought I might install Millennium or even XP this week just to see how it goes but I really want it to be a Windows 98se / DOS PC 😀 Any advice is gratefully received, thanks again wirerogue!

Reply 8 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried not having it connected to a network or disable the onboard NIC in BIOS and see what happens ? It could be NIC driver issues or network related. Someone here had problems with an onboard Intel NIC causing similar problems not long ago.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 12, by Erasmuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is great advice, I just disabled the NIC but it's mostly still the same. The music crackles when I start, clicking through folders hangs for 1-2 seconds, and if I do anything like copy a folder on the desktop it becomes very choppy. I will go ahead and disable the audio next and if that doesn't work I'll install XP just to be sure the hardware should be smoother then what I'm experiencing. Thanks for the advice, if anyone else has any idea's that'd be super because I'm running out of them 😀

Reply 10 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so NIC was not it, maybe one of the audios but am wondering if Win98 is trying to cache the HD too much. Check your Autoexec.bat to see if there is a smartdrive line which would interfer with Windows caching on a fast machine, if so just REM it out as a test.. just a thought

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Erasmuz wrote on 2020-05-03, 11:36:
So sorry to necro an old thread but I wasn't sure if this warranted its own thread. I have been watching too much LGR and decide […]
Show full quote

So sorry to necro an old thread but I wasn't sure if this warranted its own thread. I have been watching too much LGR and decided I needed to re-visit my youth, to be honest something sub-500Mhz would have been perfect but old hardware is hard to find (at a decent price) in my region so I landed up with the following for $20AUD:

> Intel D865GBF Motherboard
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz (Hyper-threaded)
> 40GB IDE HDD ST340014A
> 512MB DDR PC2300

The issue I'm having is this hardware should crush Windows 98se but it's struggling big time, it seems be constantly interrupted by whatever it's doing. The music crackles badly on start, if I'm doing pretty much anything (installing a program, formatting a disk) the mouse/keyboard are barely responsive, the same happens if I transfer files over the network. The mouse jumps across the screen, if it moves at all, and the keyboard inputs are the same. Everything just kind of locks up, even when I'm installing something it pause after every few seconds. I tried Quake II but the sound bugs out.

The weird thing is if I wait until the task is done the computer is very fast, as it should be given the specs, it boots in under 10 seconds. I have upgraded to the latest BIOS and updated to the latest version of the drivers. I've also tried out a bunch of settings in the BIOS with no luck.

Is there anything I can do? Is this a common thing or have I picked a unique motherboard?

Did you enable DMA for your hard disk?

Reply 12 of 12, by Erasmuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This community is amazing! Doornkaat that made a huge difference. I can now copy files, or install a program, or pretty much do anything and the mouse is still free to move around the screen. That has almost certainly fixed the issue with the system coming to a grinding halt whenever anything is happening. As mentioned this hardware is 10x faster then anything Windows 98 was designed to run on. Is DMA something that can be used in DOS mode?

It's still not perfect though, the sound still crackles at start up so I'll look in to what Horun mentioned, my autoexec.bat is currently blank. I will re-enable the NIC and see if transferring files over the network locks it up. I'll post back how I go, time for me to do a bit of my own troubleshooting again. Thanks a lot for the above, I was nearly wondering if it was worth the effort but it's much improved now.

UPDATE: I re-installed the audio driver from the .EXE rather than finding the .INF and it's running like an absolute dream now 😀 There is no 1.5 second delay between folders. The sound still crackles at start and bugs out in Quake II but that's a single thing I have to troubleshoot now and not a whole bunch of different ones 😀 Thank you all! Reliving my youth here, already had a bunch of floppies fail on me... ahh it's like old times