VOGONS

First post, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone used these cases for retro builds? As far as newer cases go, I figure if they have a door, then I can hide any color clash from beige drives.

Reply 1 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an empty one in the garage (white, previous owner drilled vent holes in the Plexiglas window). Got it in a batch of 8 other cases a few months back.

How retro are you thinking of going with that case? I think they are kind of ugly, but they have room for EATX which is why I am keeping it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 2 of 4, by p24t

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

I have an empty one in the garage (white, previous owner drilled vent holes in the Plexiglas window). Got it in a batch of 8 other cases a few months back.

How retro are you thinking of going with that case? I think they are kind of ugly, but they have room for EATX which is why I am keeping it.

Ah, I think you're thinking of the full tower version, which is just called "Phantom" without any number designator. It will fit EATX. The Phantom 410 is a mid-tower, and pretty sure it will only fit up to ATX.

I'm looking for something to build a 486 in. Pretty much gave up on finding any decent AT case. The few out there are way too large, way too ugly, or in way too poor condition.

Reply 3 of 4, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it's ATX so it will suffice, personally I prefer either Antec Performance series because of the sleek looks, front door and sound proofing or for "reverse sleepers" I'd go with NZXT S340 w. glass or the new Fractal C TG.
I'm planning to go with the black/blue S340 for my Pentium 4 EE build.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea, must be the full tower.

I can't see putting a 486 into one of those cases it would just look out of place. Look for a new or used beige/white ATX case (the ones with the molded 3.5" floppy drive in the front), they should fit an AT 486 just fine.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software