VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 442, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have somewhere, an Abit socket 370 kit that has a 1500mhz celeron cpu. I'm still not sure if there really was a cpu clocked this high, or if it's some kind of modification (I bought it and kept it, I never got to see it in detail)

I bought the kit basically because I fell in love with the cpu cooler that it had, it was a master cooler that I don't remember the model (maybe aero), just like the one in the photo below.

Attachments

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 261 of 442, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d actually like to find some of those fans. Lol but for case fans and stuff

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 262 of 442, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know talking about fans here is a little off, but I saw only once in my life, on a guy's computer, a fan of a big brand (I don't remember if it was cooler master, leadership or something like that) but he turned and there were LEDs on their propellers, and these LEDs flashed fast, so that our eyes could pick up things written with the propeller's movement. There were pre-programmed modes, to show the time, or the name of the song that was playing, system temperature, etc... I searched a lot, but never found it, but that was the pinnacle of the casemod era for me.

It was like those mods they make on HDs with LED bars and Arduino...

Reply 263 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-06-04, 22:15:

I have somewhere, an Abit socket 370 kit that has a 1500mhz celeron cpu. I'm still not sure if there really was a cpu clocked this high, or if it's some kind of modification (I bought it and kept it, I never got to see it in detail)

I bought the kit basically because I fell in love with the cpu cooler that it had, it was a master cooler that I don't remember the model (maybe aero), just like the one in the photo below.

If you find it, please take photos. I've always wanted to see a picture of the mythical Tualaron 1500. Supposedly it was just a paper launch or a typo.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 264 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-06-05, 05:18:

If you find it, please take photos. I've always wanted to see a picture of the mythical Tualaron 1500. Supposedly it was just a paper launch or a typo.

If even the people on CPU-World doubts this chip exists, then it must be truly mythical o.0

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 265 of 442, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-04, 22:02:
The Tualeron working is really interesting! What slotket are you using? Got any clear pics of it? Removing both jumpers and the […]
Show full quote
Socket3 wrote on 2022-06-04, 20:57:
I read somewhere that the 1100Mhz adn 1133Mhz Coppermine CPUs are 49 to 55W. That's a lot of power for socket 370. I agree about […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-04, 19:38:
Just a quick reply first, if you are trying with that black Intel stock heatsink please stop as (if this HSF is what I think it […]
Show full quote

Just a quick reply first, if you are trying with that black Intel stock heatsink please stop as (if this HSF is what I think it is) this HSF is insufficient for the TDP of a 1100MHz Coppermine.

I will edit this reply as I read the rest but important stuff first of course! 😜

EDIT: Yes, please open a new thread and do let me know 😀

I think you're correct in also assuming that HSF is insufficient. It's still a nice HSF for ss7 (provided it is beefy enough for the particular CPU used) though due to the shape of the heatsink.

It could also be the slotket, it may not be able to cope with the combination of a fast CPU along with the board perhaps having trouble with the power delivery. For all we know it could be the caps or due to the design of the board (it may not be build for such a CPU).

I read somewhere that the 1100Mhz adn 1133Mhz Coppermine CPUs are 49 to 55W. That's a lot of power for socket 370. I agree about he cooler, but I don't have anything bigger that will actually fit a slotket. On the BE6 a taller heatsink will hit the ram slots, and on the P3B a wider heatsink will touch the northbridge heatsink causing the slotket to sit at an angle.... I have a pentium 3 1000 box cooler, but that won't fit either - it's too wide and it overlaps the edge of the slotket. Most socket A coolers won't fit either, being either too tall or too wide.... Another reason I dislike slotkets.

In other news, I managed to get a 1100Mhz tualatin to post on my Abit BE6-II. I did it by pulling two jumpers off the slotket - JP1 and JP2. These are labeled as "CPU type" on the slotket, with settings for Coppermine, Mendocino and VIA C3 chips. It seems that removing them completely has the same effect as pin modding a tualatin CPU. I think... in any case, the 1100Mhz Tualeron works on my BE6-II. It POSTS with "Unknown CPU type 726Mhz", but after entering BIOS I can select FSB 100 and drop the voltage down from 1.65 to 1.45v and the system is perfectly stable.... post message also changes to "Pentium 3 1100MHz" just like the picture in my other post. I even managed to post wit a 1000mhz tualeron at 1333mhz (133x10), but it was unstable regardless of voltage and I went up to 1.65v. Similar symptoms as with the SL5QW... And this particular 1GHz tualeron has been stable at 1333Mhz stock voltage on every socket 370 board I've put it in so far. This leads me to believe the stability issues are either linked to mainboard power delivery or signaling quality when using a slotket.

chips (no fish).jpeg

test rig.jpeg

The dingy black intel stock cooler is actually meant for coppermine celerons up to 700Mhz, but it works a treat with the 750Mhz coppermine P3 as well, In never went over 51C during testing witch I believe is perfectly acceptable. It is the slightly taller version of the black intel skt 370 box cooler, not the short one that came with Mendocino celerons but yeah it's clearly insufficient for the 50w 1100Mhz P3

The Tualeron working is really interesting!
What slotket are you using? Got any clear pics of it?
Removing both jumpers and the Tualeron works, nice. I definitely gotta try that at some point in time ^^

There are similarly shaped (usually metal colored) heatsinks that have the same dimensions but are better because they have a thicker base from where the fins extrude.
I typically replace the stock fan with one I cannibalized from a s7 Coolermaster HSF (I bought several of those years ago NIB) but any with decent airflow for the size should work.
I also think 51c is acceptable, especially if this is after prolonged gaming for instance. Coppermine has a fairly low TDP which only starts getting high after 800MHz or so. The ones slower than 800MHz typically run quite cool, which means you can get away with rather poor cooling relatively speaking.

I don't know if the 1100MHz part has a max TDP of 49W? I'd assume it to be more around 35W, 40W tops.
This webpage lists even slightly lower, but roughly similar values for TDP
https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/elec_pentium.htm

Intel says 33W for the sl5qw: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 00-mhz-fsb.html but it's kind of all over the place... Other sites say 39w.

The SL5B2 (1133MHz version) is 39.55W according to cpuworld: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/In … 26PZ006256.html

From my own testing I'd say the SL5QW is closer to 50W because I just can't seem to keep this CPU cool with anything except for a much larger Socket A cooler like this:

titan socket a.jpg
Filename
titan socket a.jpg
File size
119.61 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I tried stock intel coolers on my dual-cpu setup (MSI Master 694D) and the chips would hover around 65-68C under load (running windows XP SP3 with 1.5Gb of ram). As soon as I installed the aforementioned socket a cooler temps dropped by 10C.... that's close to Athlon XP TDP isn't it?

Reply 266 of 442, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More on-topic, how about the AXDA3200DKV4D Athlon XP 3200+ running at 2333Mhz / FSB 166 instead of the usual 2200Mhz / FSB400? https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon% … A3200DKV4D.html

Here's mine:

AXDA3200DKV4D.png
Filename
AXDA3200DKV4D.png
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It also has an unlocked multiplier like the athlon XP-M or geode, but then again a few of my regular 2200Mhz 3200+ AXDA3200DKV4E have unlocked multipliers.

I've only come across one of these ever, and I kept it. I understand they were only sold to OEMs?

Last edited by Socket3 on 2022-06-05, 14:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 267 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2022-06-05, 08:55:
Intel says 33W for the sl5qw: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 00-mhz-fsb.html but it's kind of all over the plac […]
Show full quote
The Tualeron working is really interesting! What slotket are you using? Got any clear pics of it? Removing both jumpers and the […]
Show full quote
I read somewhere that the 1100Mhz adn 1133Mhz Coppermine CPUs are 49 to 55W. That's a lot of power for socket 370. I agree about […]
Show full quote

I read somewhere that the 1100Mhz adn 1133Mhz Coppermine CPUs are 49 to 55W. That's a lot of power for socket 370. I agree about he cooler, but I don't have anything bigger that will actually fit a slotket. On the BE6 a taller heatsink will hit the ram slots, and on the P3B a wider heatsink will touch the northbridge heatsink causing the slotket to sit at an angle.... I have a pentium 3 1000 box cooler, but that won't fit either - it's too wide and it overlaps the edge of the slotket. Most socket A coolers won't fit either, being either too tall or too wide.... Another reason I dislike slotkets.

In other news, I managed to get a 1100Mhz tualatin to post on my Abit BE6-II. I did it by pulling two jumpers off the slotket - JP1 and JP2. These are labeled as "CPU type" on the slotket, with settings for Coppermine, Mendocino and VIA C3 chips. It seems that removing them completely has the same effect as pin modding a tualatin CPU. I think... in any case, the 1100Mhz Tualeron works on my BE6-II. It POSTS with "Unknown CPU type 726Mhz", but after entering BIOS I can select FSB 100 and drop the voltage down from 1.65 to 1.45v and the system is perfectly stable.... post message also changes to "Pentium 3 1100MHz" just like the picture in my other post. I even managed to post wit a 1000mhz tualeron at 1333mhz (133x10), but it was unstable regardless of voltage and I went up to 1.65v. Similar symptoms as with the SL5QW... And this particular 1GHz tualeron has been stable at 1333Mhz stock voltage on every socket 370 board I've put it in so far. This leads me to believe the stability issues are either linked to mainboard power delivery or signaling quality when using a slotket.

chips (no fish).jpeg

test rig.jpeg

The dingy black intel stock cooler is actually meant for coppermine celerons up to 700Mhz, but it works a treat with the 750Mhz coppermine P3 as well, In never went over 51C during testing witch I believe is perfectly acceptable. It is the slightly taller version of the black intel skt 370 box cooler, not the short one that came with Mendocino celerons but yeah it's clearly insufficient for the 50w 1100Mhz P3

Removing both jumpers and the Tualeron works, nice. I definitely gotta try that at some point in time ^^

There are similarly shaped (usually metal colored) heatsinks that have the same dimensions but are better because they have a thicker base from where the fins extrude.
I typically replace the stock fan with one I cannibalized from a s7 Coolermaster HSF (I bought several of those years ago NIB) but any with decent airflow for the size should work.
I also think 51c is acceptable, especially if this is after prolonged gaming for instance. Coppermine has a fairly low TDP which only starts getting high after 800MHz or so. The ones slower than 800MHz typically run quite cool, which means you can get away with rather poor cooling relatively speaking.

I don't know if the 1100MHz part has a max TDP of 49W? I'd assume it to be more around 35W, 40W tops.

Intel says 33W for the sl5qw: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 00-mhz-fsb.html but it's kind of all over the place... Other sites say 39w.

The SL5B2 (1133MHz version) is 39.55W according to cpuworld: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium-III/In … 26PZ006256.html

From my own testing I'd say the SL5QW is closer to 50W because I just can't seem to keep this CPU cool with anything except for a much larger Socket A cooler like this:

titan socket a.jpg

I tried stock intel coolers on my dual-cpu setup (MSI Master 694D) and the chips would hover around 65-68C under load (running windows XP SP3 with 1.5Gb of ram). As soon as I installed the aforementioned socket a cooler temps dropped by 10C.... that's close to Athlon XP TDP isn't it?

Does that HSF have a copper slug in the bottom or some other variety of copper implementation?
Usually Thunderbird and AXP CPU HSFs featured some kind of copper implementation in the bottom and an AMD branded fan (later ones had this cute hologram logo iirc). These should definitely be able to cool up to 70W.

Your CPU is not running overvolted? Because that would explain the heat problems you are experiencing.

Have you measured power usage? If you measure your 1100+MHz CPUs with a lower clocked Coppermine one, you should be able to figure out the real power usage of these CPUs.

Btw I'm not excluding the possibility that Intels numbers are off (which to be frank seems rather unlikely in this particular case), but from my own experience (Coppermine up to 1000MHz because I don't have any faster ones) P3 draws significantly less power than a Thunderbird of the same frequency. A Coppermine 1100 drawing 50W would make it really close to what a Thunderbird would draw with similar manufacturing process , same amount of L2 cache and a higher transistor count, all running on a roughly similar voltage.

I would doublecheck if your CPU isn't run at a higher voltage.

Report spammers here!

Reply 268 of 442, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2022-06-05, 13:55:

More on-topic, how about the AXDA3200DKV4D Athlon XP 3200+ running at 2333Mhz / FSB 166 instead of the usual 2200Mhz / FSB400? https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon% … A3200DKV4D.html

I've only come across one of these ever, and I kept it. I understand they were only sold to OEMs?

Yes, these were OEM only from what I recall.
I never seen a single one btw, only have one 3200+ E (400MHz FSB) instead of the D (333MHz FSB)

Report spammers here!

Reply 269 of 442, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-05, 13:56:

Does that HSF have a copper slug in the bottom or some other variety of copper implementation?

Usually Thunderbird and AXP CPU HSFs featured some kind of copper implementation in the bottom and an AMD branded fan (later ones had this cute hologram logo iirc). These should definitely be able to cool up to 70W.

Yes, mine do.

Your CPU is not running overvolted? Because that would explain the heat problems you are experiencing.

Nope. Running 1.65 and 1.75v respectively. In fact I measured a little under that - instead of 1.75 for the 1100Mhz cpu I measured 1.71v and BIOS reports 1.73v

Have you measured power usage? If you measure your 1100+MHz CPUs with a lower clocked Coppermine one, you should be able to figure out the real power usage of these CPUs.

No, I didn't... I don't have the right equipment for that but it would be interesting.

Btw I'm not excluding the possibility that Intels numbers are off (which to be frank seems rather unlikely in this particular case), but from my own experience (Coppermine up to 1000MHz because I don't have any faster ones) P3 draws significantly less power than a Thunderbird of the same frequency. A Coppermine 1100 drawing 50W would make it really close to what a Thunderbird would draw with similar manufacturing process , same amount of L2 cache and a higher transistor count, all running on a roughly similar voltage.

I would doublecheck if your CPU isn't run at a higher voltage.

Yeah, most P3 CPUs are very very cool. I've tried 850, 933 and 1000Mhz FSB 133 chips since these speeds I have the most off - and they'll all run happily with a dingy little cooler. The 1GHz ones like the stock silver intel socket 370 cooler but are very happy with simple aluminum only 60-70mm fan socket A coolers as well. I've never seen one go over 46C.

Then comes the SL5QW.... 😜

Those coolers are so cool (pun intended). I remember seeing them in stores back in the day. A bit noisy if I'm not mistaking. I think I did read about a 1500Mhz Tualeron at one point, I'd say they're rareish, since they don't come up for sale often and I've never seen one in person... Maybe they're an OEM only thing like the 2333MHz 3200+...

[Edit] And here it is, the SL6C5: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron/Intel- … 30RY021256.html

Reply 270 of 442, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NostalgicAslinger wrote on 2022-05-27, 18:18:

I have this Cyrix MIIv in my collection, should be rare today?

And yes! The CPU runs fine with PR433 speed (100MHz FSB x3 = 300MHz) and stock 2.2V VCore, 33 MHz over stock should be easy to reach with the MIIv 333GP. Picture 2 is Mersenne Prime small FFT

Attachments

• Cyrix MII433 001.jpg
    Filename
    Cyrix MII433 001.jpg
    File size
    306.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Cyrix MII433 002.jpg
    Filename
    Cyrix MII433 002.jpg
    File size
    724.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Cyrix MII433 003.jpg
    Filename
    Cyrix MII433 003.jpg
    File size
    562.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 271 of 442, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If that’s a 433gp core like I think it is you can possibly get to 350mhz I wouldn’t try any higher than 2.4v though

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 272 of 442, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel says 33W for the sl5qw: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/p … 00-mhz-fsb.html but it's kind of all over the plac […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

chips (no fish).jpeg

test rig.jpeg

titan socket a.jpg

Just as side note:
I had a BE-6 II with slotket back then, too. I can't remember the exact CPUs I had on it over time but it must have started with a P II-400 and some P III later on.
I can however remember that I exchanged the BE6-II for an BX-133 RAID because of some problems with the slotket but I can't tell the exact reason for sure anymore.
The SL5QW ran without any problems on the BX-133 @1,2GHz as said before and also without any heat problems as far as I can remember (never had the Intel stock cooler, though). I'm also pretty sure it only had some standard 60mm fan/heatsink combo.

Reply 273 of 442, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ChrisK wrote on 2022-06-05, 17:51:
Just as side note: I had a BE-6 II with slotket back then, too. I can't remember the exact CPUs I had on it over time but it mus […]
Show full quote
Show full quote
Show full quote

titan socket a.jpg

Just as side note:
I had a BE-6 II with slotket back then, too. I can't remember the exact CPUs I had on it over time but it must have started with a P II-400 and some P III later on.
I can however remember that I exchanged the BE6-II for an BX-133 RAID because of some problems with the slotket but I can't tell the exact reason for sure anymore.
The SL5QW ran without any problems on the BX-133 @1,2GHz as said before and also without any heat problems as far as I can remember (never had the Intel stock cooler, though). I'm also pretty sure it only had some standard 60mm fan/heatsink combo.

Interesting. So the slotket might indeed be the issue as it could be influencing signaling quality. To be honest I noticed similar problems (as mentioned before) with the 1GHz (FSB133) and 933Mhz pentium 3 chips and slotkets... But people here on vogons run 1.4Ghz tualatin chips in slotkets and I haven't heard any complain about stability....

In any case, i tested the SL5QW today in my CUVX-M and a ECS Apollo PRO 133 board to get some performance numbers. I'm interested on seeing how it performs in comparison with a 1000Mhz FSB133 pentium 3 as well as vs a 1100Mhz tualeron, but I think I'll be moving to the inte 815T chipset for these tests (Abit ST6) just so I don't have to chop pins off my 1100MHz tualeron to get it working in boards that don't officially support it.

Reply 274 of 442, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-05, 15:44:

If that’s a 433gp core like I think it is you can possibly get to 350mhz I wouldn’t try any higher than 2.4v though

All MII with the same CPUID / register values are the same. There is no PR433 core, just cores that are capable of that speed, some of which were marketed as such. You could just as well call them PR300 cores.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 275 of 442, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2022-06-05, 20:33:

All MII with the same CPUID / register values are the same. There is no PR433 core, just cores that are capable of that speed, some of which were marketed as such. You could just as well call them PR300 cores.

Basically if stable @ speed it got that marking? Scaling down.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 276 of 442, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nexxen wrote on 2022-06-05, 21:28:
debs3759 wrote on 2022-06-05, 20:33:

Basically if stable @ speed it got that marking? Scaling down.

Only a limited number will have been released at the top speed, so they could keep the price high. Same as in any CPU series. Only more modern CPUs add microcode to identify them separately (even i7 CPUs are binned for the best before microcode sets the CPUID model string). So they are the same die, just with the faster models binned for performance, slower speeds don't typically need binning, though some more recent CPUs that are locked have specific features disabled before the processors are built.

Hence some of the slower speeds are just as capable as the higher rated, while some failed binning for higher speeds

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 277 of 442, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-06-05, 05:18:

Today I dusted it off, and decided to research the serial number, unfortunately it is a common celeron of 1400mhz overclocked.

Reply 278 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The celeron 1400 is multiplier locked, correct? Was it overclocked by increasing the fsb?

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2022-06-06, 03:44. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 279 of 442, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-06-06, 00:59:

The celeriac 1400 is multiplier locked, correct? Was it overclocked by increasing the fsb?

As for the multiplier I can't say, but the memories are running at 107mhz. I couldn't do tests, because I don't have a reliable ATX power supply, I just have a bad quality power supply, which I avoid using...