VOGONS

Rarest CPUs?

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was widely available at one point in time because I ordered a pair of them online and received two with consecutive serial numbers. But for some reason, they are hardish to find these days, so I'm guessing not a whole lot were produced.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 43 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

Do you have some benchmarks or video captures of your NexGen system somewhere?

Yeap I have a rebuilt one I did for fun to test CPU's. It's got a ATi Mach64 VLB with VRam expansion, and 128MB of Ram. I also have the original software to make windows read it as a 586, and FPU emulator when using just a P chip.
And here are some of the extra PCI versions I have. I keep meaning to put one of the PCI versions in a shadowbox on the wall. Lazy though.
If you want to see something specific you'll have to let me know. I haven't powered on this box in a while, but I can! 🤣

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Filename
    Capture.JPG
    File size
    226.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • VLB-in-shadowbox.JPG
    Filename
    VLB-in-shadowbox.JPG
    File size
    62.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • extra-pci-nexgen-motherboards.JPG
    Filename
    extra-pci-nexgen-motherboards.JPG
    File size
    81.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • inside-my-nexgen-2.JPG
    Filename
    inside-my-nexgen-2.JPG
    File size
    69.62 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • inside-my-nexgen.JPG
    Filename
    inside-my-nexgen.JPG
    File size
    56.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by thehinac on 2018-01-05, 02:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ouch, those are gorgeous! How did you acquire those motherboards in such pristine condition? Where did you obtain the PF chips? I haven't see anyone with one of those on Vogons before, and in mint condition. Do you have the motherboard which runs the PF chip? I bet you could pay off your mortgage with that collection.

Reply 45 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Ouch, those are gorgeous! How did you acquire those motherboards in such pristine condition? Where did you obtain the PF chips? I haven't see anyone with one of those on Vogons before, and in mint condition. Do you have the motherboard which runs the PF chip? I bet you could pay off your mortgage with that collection.

I have 3 VLB boards (maybe a 4th in the closet somewhere.)
I have 2 PCI boards

All work. All Cpu's work.
One of the PCI boards has one damaged ram slot. But doesn't affect function.

Well, I got one of the PF chips from a hardware collector that was retiring and closing down his computer shop. He didn't know what it was worth. I actually got it for 80$. Not a lie. a straight steal. The other PF chip I got from a guy on ebay. I was buying a chip from him and I asked if he had anything else. He said he had NexGen CPU and motherboard, so I asked for a picture. It was another PF chip and PCI motherboard. Again not knowing it's worth I offered 250 USD and got it. Crazy right?

My original first P90 and VLB board I found in a computer salvage company in a old computer case. I paid 3$ for. heh At the time I didn't know what it was, I just knew I'd never seen it before and it had to be special. I didn't understand that until I got home and researched it.

Attachments

• original-bag-manual.JPG
    Filename
    original-bag-manual.JPG
    File size
    49.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 47 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice. Any for sale? Sounds like you got some really nice pricing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the PF110 run the lot of benchmarks in the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison. That CPU is one of the few missing data points. Was the FPU in the PF110 weak? How did it compare to the AMD K5, K6, Pentium, and Cyrix 5x86?

Reply 48 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nexgen is pretty cool. I didn't even know they existed until years after they were obsolete. I definitely would have picked one up back in the late 90s had I known. I think the VLB version is pretty neat. Do the PF chips work in the VLB board?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 50 of 442, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

How common are unlocked pentium 3 300Mhz cpus? They were quite expensive during the time when they still were unlocked.

I got mine for $10 few years ago and seeing how there is a couple listed for even less than that now, I'm guessing they're not too rare.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 52 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, but an hours ago I just found out I'm like the biggest a-hole alive.
I have two cpu heatsink plastic screws that hold the heatsink on to the cpu of the nx586. they're the only thing I have related to the nx586 that I don't own. borrowed them from a guy like 4 years ago to try and 3d print copy, life happened and forgot all about them. Just got a nasty email from him like an hour ago. Note to anyone. If you borrow something... don't forget to send it back. you'll forget about about and years later someone will hate you for it. Then you'll be a thief. sighhhhh. waiting for an address from him to send them back, not that it matters at this point. I'm already a dick. Learn from my life example. Make sure you don't have anything that's not yours before you put it back in the closet... you may not open it again for a few years, kind of the way collections go.

Reply 53 of 442, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

lucky guy, i'm trying for ages to score a Nx5x86 and a Motherboard.
Nearly impossible these days 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 54 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote:

lucky guy, i'm trying for ages to score a Nx5x86 and a Motherboard.
Nearly impossible these days 😀

There's a seller on ebay that scalps them for 500$. Same person selling them for years. I Assume he's got a lot. Incidentally that's the guy thats mad at me.
For some reason NexGen sold a lot overseas. I think that picture of the nx587 motherboard came from russia. And I got at least 2 of my chips from Russia.

Reply 55 of 442, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Do the PF chips work in the VLB board?

+1 for that question, very eager to know!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 56 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Do the PF chips work in the VLB board?

+1 for that question, very eager to know!

Used this link for jumpers
http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203575

Here is a video of me trying it.
https://youtu.be/TDzFFDHZxP4

Hope it's what you wanted.

Attachments

Reply 57 of 442, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad it didn't work in the VLB board. Maybe there is a pin to set GND to disable the FPU which might make it work? Not much point though if you have a non-PF chip already.

Any idea what freq. the PF110 runs at? It would be neat to see some Quake benchmarks with that and compare it to the Am5x86, POD83, POD100, Cx5x86, and socket 5 Pentium 75-100.

Interesting spacing on the heatsink clips on the ZIF socket.

If you're ever looking to sell, PM me. I'd like to fully benchmark this combination.

When using the same freq. CPU, is there any speed advantage of the PCI board to that of the VLB board for identical hardware? Like if you were to use the same ISA graphics card, or use a VLB Trio64 and a PCI Trio64?

Reply 58 of 442, by thehinac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I'll try and get the PCI version up. My only PCI video card at the house is dead, I tried plugging in but it beeps 8 times for video card issue according to the manual. Both motherboards. But I got a box of them at work.

The only way I could see testing that is a P110 in the vlb and pf110 in the pci and do a cpu test. Testing FPS on quake or something would be a bit troublesome to compare. Best VLB I have is the Ati Mach64 VLB with add on vram, I guess if I had a PCI Ati March 64 with the same vram it might be close. But I'm not sure how to disable the FPU to even remotely get the test equal...?

On the cpu mhz of the PF110, if the P90 runs at 84mhz and the P100 runs at 93, then I'll assume the trend continues at P110 at 102mhz

Reply 59 of 442, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How rare would you guys say the original 1000Mhz Athlon that won the "Ghz race" back in 2000 would be? http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%2 … MNR53B%20A.html

I recently got my hands on one in an Asus K7V KX133 board and it seems to work (bad PS/2 ports on the board but the rest is fine).

download/file.php?id=42286&mode=view

First one I've ever seen in my life.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.