Topic actions

Reply 140 of 442, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

286/20 and 286/25

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 141 of 442, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just saw a K6-III+ 550 on Ebay sell for $460.00!

Reminder that finished auction on ebay doesn't necessarily mean that item was really sold.

if they really have 14,000 of them, there's simply no way they'll sell out of them before they've met demand and saturated the market.

Let's be real here, most of that stock will go directly to scalpers, which will sell these CPUs at much higher price later. Or the seller will just jack up price to steadily sell them for next 5-10 years.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 142 of 442, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-26, 21:44:
Reminder that finished auction on ebay doesn't necessarily mean that item was really sold. […]
Show full quote

Reminder that finished auction on ebay doesn't necessarily mean that item was really sold.

if they really have 14,000 of them, there's simply no way they'll sell out of them before they've met demand and saturated the market.

Let's be real here, most of that stock will go directly to scalpers, which will sell these CPUs at much higher price later. Or the seller will just jack up price to steadily sell them for next 5-10 years.

The seller already doubled the price. At the end of october I bought a lot of two cpus for 40 usd, now he's asking 40 for one cpu... nice!
By the way, tested one of them and it's working fine @600 MHz, 6×100 on an ASUS P5A rev 1.04. At 6×105 MHz loads and runs Win98se just fine, but it crashes in 3DMark99 and 2k... didn't had time to do more testing...

Reply 143 of 442, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-26, 21:44:
Reminder that finished auction on ebay doesn't necessarily mean that item was really sold. […]
Show full quote

If an auction is "sold" and the price is listed, then yes, it sold for that price. Unless the person used another account to purchase it at an inflated price and then cancelled the transaction to inflate the value.

As for the other claim, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call purchasing 20 year old CPUs with the intent of selling them possibly years later "scalping".

Unless every member on this board intends to donate their collection to a museum for no cost at their death, they are almost certainly collecting/hording things with the idea that they will be harder to find (in other words, more valuable) later either to them or their family. Whatever they do with the items and when they do it is a far cry from the traditional definition of ticket scalping. If you find something that you are sure will have more value later or in a different market, that's called investing. If others can't be brothered to do it, that doesn't make it wrong.

Edit: wasn't trying to come across as argumentative, but it reads that way. Sorry! I don't doubt that people will buy some of those simply to get a bunch before they are gone, and if they're worth more later, they'd be dumb not to sell what they aren't using. I just wouldn't label them scalpers. Not like they're buying them at MSRP on release day and making double on eBay the next day.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 145 of 442, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

As for the other claim, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call purchasing 20 year old CPUs with the intent of selling them

Why not? Some guys did that with Voodoo 2 and Savage 4 new old stock and few other things, which were sold on ebay for ever growing price. They've scalped local store, which was located in Russia, Moscow.

Unless the person used another account to purchase it at an inflated price and then cancelled the transaction to inflate the value.

Exactly.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-12-27, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 146 of 442, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2020-12-26, 18:04:

Wow, the seller upped the price x2! Some months ago, they were selling lots of two at that price. Now they are selling single parts.

I tried to send him an offer for $20 but the seller refused it 🙁

Reply 147 of 442, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2020-12-26, 16:31:
386SX wrote on 2020-12-26, 13:32:

I think there're nowdays even more shades of "rare" definitions considering even most common ones are "rare" too. For example cpu like the Athlon 1000 on Slot is not that easy to find or the K62+@570 and the K63+@550 actually I've never seen these and I doubt I'll ever see them. Only found a K63-400@2,4v and a K62+@550 that already are not that common in the middle of most K6-2@400 or 450Mhz.
I found a 486 Overdrive DX4 100Mhz with write-through cache in a computer fair years ago. It's still nice to have with the heatsink and the voltage regulator already on the top of the cpu even if using it without a fan on it is almost scary.. heatsink temperatures goes up incredibly high.

I just saw a K6-III+ 550 on Ebay sell for $460.00! I wonder if the buyer will actually put it in a motherboard and fire it up?

As others said if it was really sold I suppose it might be checked if running ok and then put in some protective case to remains there.

Reply 148 of 442, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick question... Do exotics like vector supercomputer processors or space rated CPUs count?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 149 of 442, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boils down to how many people are aware of them. And well, some Itanium CPUs are rare, but you don't see any noticeable hunt for them, since they all useless apart from servers.

Reply 150 of 442, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there're nowdays even more shades of "rare" definitions considering even most common ones are "rare" too. For example cpu like the Athlon 1000 on Slot is not that easy to find or the K62+@570 and the K63+@550 actually I've never seen these and I doubt I'll ever see them. Only found a K63-400@2,4v and a K62+@550 that already are not that common in the middle of most K6-2@400 or 450Mhz.
I found a 486 Overdrive DX4 100Mhz with write-through cache in a computer fair years ago. It's still nice to have with the heatsink and the voltage regulator already on the top of the cpu even if using it without a fan on it is almost scary.. heatsink temperatures goes up incredibly high.

I just saw a K6-III+ 550 on Ebay sell for $460.00! I wonder if the buyer will actually put it in a motherboard and fire it up?

The price bump for that extra 128Kb cache is insane, wasn't a K6-2+ 550 something like £20 at one point? I'm keen to see if it gets relisted since that bid is quite an outlier.
Searching around though, I may have just found a K6-2+ for $15 stuck in an old laptop. It's a shame interesting processors are even more rare in the UK, but sometimes good deals come up 😀

Reply 151 of 442, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-12-28, 03:04:

The price bump for that extra 128Kb cache is insane, wasn't a K6-2+ 550 something like £20 at one point? I'm keen to see if it gets relisted since that bid is quite an outlier.
Searching around though, I may have just found a K6-2+ for $15 stuck in an old laptop. It's a shame interesting processors are even more rare in the UK, but sometimes good deals come up 😀

September of 2019 I bought a K6-2+ 550 for less than $30.00 shipped , October of 2019 I got a k6-2+ 533 for about $15.00 shipped, and July of this year a K6-3+ 450 for less than $40.00. I watched that K6-3+ purely for the amusement of seeing what the crazy selling price would be.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 152 of 442, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's possibly because it's in the tray? I scored a Cyrix DX2 66 in the tray recently for about £5, brand new and 25 years old 😀
But it's not like the old K6-2/3 CPUs can have overclocking damage, that only really came in with the 0.13um CPUs like Northwood and Barton.

Reply 153 of 442, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I knew why theres people overpaying for old hardware but I haven't figured it out yet. Either they are very rich, have little patience, or are very uneducated noobs. Probably all of the above. They certainly don't post on this forum and brag about paying so much for stuff whoever they are they must be lurkers. Then they make a post and you have to walk them through installing windows and then hold their hands.

Reply 154 of 442, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2020-12-28, 04:59:

I wish I knew why theres people overpaying for old hardware but I haven't figured it out yet. Either they are very rich, have little patience, or are very uneducated noobs. Probably all of the above. They certainly don't post on this forum and brag about paying so much for stuff whoever they are they must be lurkers. Then they make a post and you have to walk them through installing windows and then hold their hands.

As someone that's been buying 'junk' on ebay for years at barely even above the starting bid, I welcome our high bidding overlords 😀 They can't find the obscure stuff like I can so it's all good.
To be more reasonable though, it's Christmas and people are bored & stuck indoors, so bids can go higher than they would normally.

Reply 155 of 442, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-12-26, 16:06:
I would argue these Chips are rare 8086-6 8088-6 8087-6 […]
Show full quote

I would argue these Chips are rare
8086-6
8088-6
8087-6

Thought the 8086-4 was the last in both Intel C and D variants.
If you have some info that points to a Intel 8086-6 please post it
The fastest Intel 8086 was the D8086-1 at 10Mhz AFAIK. I have a Intel D-2 8Mhz and a Siemens SAB8086 10Mhz (in a Laser XT/3)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 156 of 442, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone have a datasheet for 8086/87 before intel started using the -1,-2, -3 naming scheme?
Many years ago I owned an IBM branded 8087-6. It outperformed the 8087-3 at the same clock speed in both synthetic and real world tests (both were tested in IBM 5160 at 4.77MHz). I could never find a datasheet that mentioned the -6. I am guessing that very early on intel fixed something the 8087 which made it more accurate but slower.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 157 of 442, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-12-28, 10:46:

Does anyone have a datasheet for 8086/87 before intel started using the -1,-2, -3 naming scheme?
Many years ago I owned an IBM branded 8087-6. It outperformed the 8087-3 at the same clock speed in both synthetic and real world tests (both were tested in IBM 5160 at 4.77MHz). I could never find a datasheet that mentioned the -6.

From what I can tell anything
Intel 808X-6 is very old made before 1982 and 6mhz

If you can let me know what age the piece of equipment was the 8087-6/8088-6 came out of?

My 5150 with an 8088-6 is a very early 64k model

The 8086-6 I received from the legendary Jack Allen computers bought for pennies soldered to a piece of s100 board scrap. At the time he would let me scrounge through the scrapped boards, got a real ibm ega card from there.

I was a kid at the time and when the 1980 dated board didn’t sell on eBay for $5, I scrapped it again in 1999. I never figured an 8086-6 was of any historical significance, just a failed attempt by Intel to sell a faster speed grade than the 4/5 MHz chips they otherwise were hocking.

In terms of an IBM Branded 808X being faster it doesn’t surprise me, IBM had the rights to Intels designs through the 286 and likely overbuilt them in typical IBM fashion

Ah well

Reply 158 of 442, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might want to dig thru these if you haven't already: https://www.intel-vintage.info/intelotherresources.htm
there may be something about the 8088-6 and 8086-6 in one of the pdf's

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 159 of 442, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-12-27, 22:49:

Boils down to how many people are aware of them. And well, some Itanium CPUs are rare, but you don't see any noticeable hunt for them, since they all useless apart from servers.

As opposed to the rest of these things which are incredibly useful for practical tasks? 😜

Practicality has nothing to do with the value of rare old CPUs. There's nothing a K5-200 can do that say a K6-300 couldn't do much better, let alone newer CPUs. Same goes for every one of those CPUs, with added compatibility and stability issues in many cases. People collect this stuff because they want something rare, not because there is anything these things can do that something cheaper and more common cannot. Itanium's problem is that there are simply very few people out there interested in them, not anything intrinsic in their performance or compatibility.