VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve tried searching the forums and web for a good place to buy AT cases (other than eBay) but it’s difficult to find anything good since “at” brings up everything known to man because it’s such a common word. Does anyone here have a go to place for such things?

Reply 1 of 13, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Agreed. Very difficult to search for and find. Head over to Amibay and look in the 'other' hardware section classifieds for a couple of sellers.

Postage is (naturally) expensive. And the finding what you need, rocker power switch, LCD speed display etc can be tricky too.

Reply 2 of 13, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try a local recycler, they might still get in the oddball AT case from time to time.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 13, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are certainly getting more and more difficult to find. Whenever I go to my local scrapper I can consistently find anywhere from 1-4 AT systems in the pile of crap, but most of them are in such bad shape or they are missing the case cover or buttons are missing. Usually I can find one that is usable but it certainly has plenty of imperfections. It's extremely rare to find one in good shape, even harder to find one in good shape that also had both a turbo button and a digital mhz display. You just have to keep your eye out, go to the scrappers, recyclers, and thrift stores often you'll find one sooner or later. Or you can always overpay for one on ebay, but even then it's still hard to find one that is truly mint condition.

Reply 4 of 13, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

They are certainly getting more and more difficult to find. Whenever I go to my local scrapper I can consistently find anywhere from 1-4 AT systems in the pile of crap, but most of them are in such bad shape or they are missing the case cover or buttons are missing. Usually I can find one that is usable but it certainly has plenty of imperfections. It's extremely rare to find one in good shape, even harder to find one in good shape that also had both a turbo button and a digital mhz display. You just have to keep your eye out, go to the scrappers, recyclers, and thrift stores often you'll find one sooner or later. Or you can always overpay for one on ebay, but even then it's still hard to find one that is truly mint condition.

Pretty much this. We have an electronics recycling place I like to check out for junk. 99.999% of the cases I find are absolutely putrid from sitting in garages or basements and dealing with humidity and water. It's been years since I've come across one in good, easy to restore condition. I never see them with turbo displays. It's usually always smashed up Gateway 2000s or tiny little LPX office machines.

I had to turn to ebay and spend $85 on a socket 7 mmx (board needs to be recapped) to get a half decent small case for my 486.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 13, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my country seems to be plenty, i bought one desktop style for my 486 new old stock sealed in box for about US$10, but for power supply it is kind of hard to find a good one, but when i find it is pretty much cheap.

Reply 6 of 13, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:

In my country seems to be plenty, i bought one desktop style for my 486 new old stock sealed in box for about US$10, but for power supply it is kind of hard to find a good one, but when i find it is pretty much cheap.

Jealous. Seems like what's rare here is easy to find in South America though, and vise verse (thinking about slotkets)

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 7 of 13, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:
.legaCy wrote:

Jealous. Seems like what's rare here is easy to find in South America though, and vise verse (thinking about slotkets)

Well here it is almost impossible to find: any aureal vortex2, any high end old gpus(like those GF4 TI), super socket 7 boards, K6-3 cpus, 3dfx cards, parallel port drives.

Reply 8 of 13, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

Well here it is almost impossible to find: any aureal vortex2, any high end old gpus(like those GF4 TI), super socket 7 boards, K6-3 cpus, 3dfx cards, parallel port drives.

Hey .legacy , where are you from?

Reply 10 of 13, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

blurks i know that he is from Brazil (facepalm).

Brazil is pretty big and I'm Brazilian too.

Local flea markets are great source for old parts, I have found all the things .legacy sad that is impossible.

Last week I found near for free a pentium pro 200 and a server motherboard, a thing that I thought was unobtainable here.

Reply 11 of 13, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mut wrote:
blurks i know that he is from Brazil (facepalm). […]
Show full quote

blurks i know that he is from Brazil (facepalm).

Brazil is pretty big and I'm Brazilian too.

Local flea markets are great source for old parts, I have found all the things .legacy sad that is impossible.

Last week I found near for free a pentium pro 200 and a server motherboard, a thing that I thought was unobtainable here.

Wow, that's awesome i live on a city about 300 KM from São Paulo, thrift shops are basically about clothing here, about flea market i don't have any knowledge about some existing next to me, i buy almost everything from mercado livre.

Reply 12 of 13, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is very difficult to appear some thing interesting in mercadolivre and when appear is overpriced. Recently I bought voodoo 3 2000 PCI there , was only 29 reais (around $10), was announced as "beatiful old vga" 😊 .

Reply 13 of 13, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mut wrote:

Is very difficult to appear some thing interesting in mercadolivre and when appear is overpriced. Recently I bought voodoo 3 2000 PCI there , was only 29 reais (around $10), was announced as "beatiful old vga" 😊 .

Well i will look for "beautiful old sound card" to see if some good sound cards show up.
That is really nice to see Brazilians on the community.
In my city the USP has one electronic recycling service,i might go take a look and see if they allow me to "borrow" some stuff.