VOGONS

Most frustrating part of working on old computers?

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 167, by uzurpator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can live with connecting front panels, power switches, leds and whatnot.

However - routing ribbon cables in a way that is not a complete mess? Yeah...

Die ewigkeit ist hier und jetzt.

Reply 161 of 167, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also face the same issue when I attempt to use zip ties to keep the inside of my computer case nice, tidy, and easily accessible without accidentally disconnecting the ribbon cable that is connected to the HDD, ODD, or FDD.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 162 of 167, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

xjas's 7-step programme to a Fun Saturday Afternoon (very common procedure in complicated software installs, but also applies to more than just messing with computers.)
- Find guide for how to do something moderately difficult online
- Find 20 people in comments of said guide making statements like "yay! worked for me!"
- Find every other search result links back to or plagarizes the same guide
- Try guide
- Doesn't work
- Absolutely no apparent reason why it didn't work, and no way to fix it because you don't know what the problem was
- Set everything on fire (YMMV)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 163 of 167, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
xjas's 7-step programme to a Fun Saturday Afternoon (very common procedure in complicated software installs, but also applies to […]
Show full quote

xjas's 7-step programme to a Fun Saturday Afternoon (very common procedure in complicated software installs, but also applies to more than just messing with computers.)
- Find guide for how to do something moderately difficult online
- Find 20 people in comments of said guide making statements like "yay! worked for me!"
- Find every other search result links back to or plagarizes the same guide
- Try guide
- Doesn't work
- Absolutely no apparent reason why it didn't work, and no way to fix it because you don't know what the problem was
- Set everything on fire (YMMV)

This is my life. 😢 😵

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 164 of 167, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

I also face the same issue when I attempt to use zip ties to keep the inside of my computer case nice, tidy, and easily accessible without accidentally disconnecting the ribbon cable

The more zip ties you use, the harder any reconfigurations become. And who cares about it being tidy or not if the chassis is opaque 😀

Reply 165 of 167, by uzurpator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote:

The more zip ties you use, the harder any reconfigurations become. And who cares about it being tidy or not if the chassis is opaque 😀

Airflow matters if you don't want to use too many fans to blow air through.

Also - crippling autism in my case.

Die ewigkeit ist hier und jetzt.

Reply 166 of 167, by Geforcefly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently, with my Packard Bell 386SX-II motherboard, finding out the exact set of components and settings to allow the machine to boot. BIOS shadowing off = no boot. No hard drive connected = floppy seek error. Downclocking = freezes on disk access. 4x4MB 3-chip SIMMs = memory error at 8MB, no matter the order.

DOS/Win3.1: PCChips M396F v2.2 | 386SX-33 | 16MB RAM | 420MB HDD | CL-GD5429 1MB
Win98: ASRock 775i65G 3.0 | Pentium E5800 @ 3.3GHz | 512MB DDR (TCCD) | 80GB HDD | Radeon 9800 Pro

Reply 167 of 167, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, it’s things that half work... something that worked perfectly when you last used it but now has some minor fault, like lines on the screen, ports not working, etc etc. If something is plain old dead you try and fix it then throw it out if it still doesn’t work but intermittent faults are an easy recipe for hours of frustration and pain.

Also will echo the bit about parts covered in sticky tar from being smoked around 😵 those tar-filled dust/fluff balls are some of the most disgusting things you can expect to find in an old PC. Near impossible to clean and stink to high heaven until you do.

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM