VOGONS

Slot 1/Voodoo 3 machine

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently rebuilding my Slot 1 / Voodoo 3 PC as well, with a GA-BX2000 board, I wish mine looked half as cool though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Unfortunately I can't run Sanitarium for some reason — it just crashes after the starting scene with no error message. Maybe I'm using too modern DirectX (it 8.0, I think). I'll have to investigate this further.

Have you tried the patch? I think I had that issue too initially - I've attached the copy I have.

I think I've patched the game, but I'll try your file, thanks!

appiah4 wrote:

I'm currently rebuilding my Slot 1 / Voodoo 3 PC as well, with a GA-BX2000 board, I wish mine looked half as cool though.

Ha, thanks a lot 😊

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 22 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played a lot of Soldier of Fortune on this build — great game.

Meanwhile, I also found a curious thing about this case. I've mostly seen InWin H500 with Pentium 4, which is why I assumed that it's early 00s. Looks like in the 90s InWin was more about building cases for branded machines, so there isn't a lot of info available. However, there are several sources that mention this case in 1999, 1998 and even 1995.

And I mean, ATX standard itself was introduced in 1995. Which means that 500 series were one of the first ATX cases at all and were made for a really long time. Archive.org doesn't have any copies on in-win.com.tw prior to 2001, so I can't be sure that '95 design of H500 was the same as '99. However, here is a picture of an AT case by In-Win, B500:

b500.jpg

So it looks really similar to H500 and D500 and I doubt In-Win would be designing new AT cases by late 90s. Hence, I can assume, that even in the year of 1995 H500 looked the same — maybe with just some small differences, be that a keylock or some changes in internal layout.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 23 of 35, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
harddrivespin wrote:

Slot A and Socket A motherboards alike do sometimes have ISA slots, so Slot 1 isn't the latest!

What is a good Socket A board with ISA that will run Athlon XP CPUs? Never came across one.

You'd be looking for a KT133A board. My only personal experience of those is the Chaintech 7AJA2, which accepts all 133MHz FSB Athlon XP:s I've tried so far. Currently using a Thoroughbred XP 2400+ (AXDA2400DKV3C), but a 2600+, or even one of those XP-M 3000+ on 133MHz FSB should work, if you want to max it out. The 2400+ is more than enough for Blood in 1280x1024 though. Never tried 1600x1200 since my monitor can't do it.

Had that board since it was new, and still love it. It's rock stable, and never gave me any trouble besides having to recap it a year or so ago, but that's to be expected from a board from that time that's seen a lot of use through the years 😀

Reply 25 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Isn't SDR a huge bottleneck for an Athlon XP system though?

Reply 26 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Unfortunately I can't run Sanitarium for some reason — it just crashes after the starting scene with no error message. Maybe I'm using too modern DirectX (it 8.0, I think). I'll have to investigate this further.

Have you tried the patch? I think I had that issue too initially - I've attached the copy I have.

I've tried your patch, but it didn't fix the issue. The game starts, goes through the cutscenes, then goes into loading screen and crashes. It might be regarded to the fact that I'm using DaemonTools virtual CD though, so I'll try burning the disks at some point

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 27 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two important additions:

A Voodoo 5 5500 for AGP:

Qg6lNSdm.jpg

An SB16 AWE32 with 28MB of RAM (still working on the GUS PnP — it probably needs recapping):

huIsqqEm.jpg

Voodoo 5 is purely awesome. I've played some Quake 3 and Black & White in 1024 x 768 in 32 bits and it runs really nice in both cases. I also tried a Pentium 3 733 @ 133 MHz but Windows 98SE wouldn't boot for some reason, so I reverted to 500. Guess I'll need some fast 100MHz FSB CPU, like 1000 or 1100.

AWE32 is just fun to mess with soundfonts. Tried EMU's 8mbgmsfx and Chorium, like former a bit better in Doom.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 28 of 35, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My P3 build is 440BX + 500MHz with a Voodoo 3, and it is .... boring, imo. Seeing your upgrades here give the system some pop. Maybe some day I will do the same.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 29 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

AWE32 is just fun to mess with soundfonts. Tried EMU's 8mbgmsfx and Chorium, like former a bit better in Doom.

The 25MB SC-55 soundfont floating around on the web is simply the best Soundfont there is for retrogaming.

I really like your build. My P3 is a bit more cookie cutter, but Slot-1/Socket370 systems tend to converge towards Y2K high end hardware sooner or later. It seems the only interesting Slot-1 builds these days are usually PII systems with early and less commonly used accelerator cards like the Savage4, Kyro II, G400, Rage 128 Pro/Max.. Mine started up as a Voodoo 3 machine and ended up becoming a GeForce 2 GTS, though I don't know if that's actually more interesting or mundane than how it started out. 😵

Reply 30 of 35, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

The 25MB SC-55 soundfont floating around on the web is simply the best Soundfont there is for retrogaming.

The sc55 has a 25Mb rom in it? I thought it was more like 4mb.

Reply 31 of 35, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
squiggly wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

The sc55 has a 25Mb rom in it? I thought it was more like 4mb.

The rom is 4mb but the soundfont that mimics the hardware is 25 mb. There are larger and smaller Sc55 soundfonts but this one is by far the best.

Reply 32 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

Thing is, I actually own a SC-55, so I don’t see a point in trying to replicate it via soundfonts.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 33 of 35, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Thing is, I actually own a SC-55, so I don’t see a point in trying to replicate it via soundfonts.

Yep me too and I haven’t come across a sound font that did it justice. In saying that I have 28MB of RAM on a Goldfinch that I use primarily for loading up with various sound fonts and it’s great fun. I gotta say that the 4MB GM font provided by Creative is one of my faves for retro games, and there’s a bigger one called Masterpiece that I really like too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 35 of 35, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you ever get Giants: Citizen Kabuto to run on this thing? I've been trying to get it going on my K6-2/Voodoo3 but no luck. The original 1.0 release changes video mode a few times and then quits back to the desktop; the 1.4 & 1.5 unofficial patch shows a few title screens and then crashes the same way. Not sure what's going wrong.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!