VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys.
I got my hands on a sweet AMD 286-16Mhz pc. It came with an ISA "Super I/O Card" with an Acer M5105 A2 chip (picture attached), but without an HDD.
I added a WD Caviar 2200, 212.6 MB HDD, and configured it in the BIOS according to the writing on the disc - but every time I boot, I get an error message: "fixed disk controller failure". I need to press F1 to continue booting from floppy, or F2 to enter BIOS.

I am able to boot from a Gotek floppy emulator, and once I'm in DOS (MS-DOS 5, if it matters), I can access the HDD without any problems.
I've partitioned the disc with FDISK, formatted it, copied files, games etc. and all seems to work without a hitch. But even though I've formatted with /s and I can see the system files, it still shows the above message and won't boot from the HDD.

I tried each of the 2 connectors on the IDE cable, replaced the IDE cable altogether, changed the card slot.. but no success.
Any help is appreciated 😀

Attachments

• 2017-12-20 17.43.42.jpg
    Filename
    2017-12-20 17.43.42.jpg
    File size
    645.68 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    super i/o card. acer m5105 a2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by anetanel on 2017-12-25, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 12, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anetanel wrote:
Hey guys. I got my hands on a sweet AMD 286-16Mhz pc. It came with an ISA "Super I/O Card" with an Acer M5105 A2 chip (picture a […]
Show full quote

Hey guys.
I got my hands on a sweet AMD 286-16Mhz pc. It came with an ISA "Super I/O Card" with an Acer M5105 A2 chip (picture attached), but without an HDD.
I added a WD Caviar 2200, 212.3 MB HDD, and configured it in the BIOS according to the writing on the disc - but every time I boot, I get an error message: "fixed disk controller failure". I need to press F1 to continue booting from floppy, or F2 to enter BIOS.

I am able to boot from a Gotek floppy emulator, and once I'm in DOS (MS-DOS 5, if it matters), I can access the HDD without any problems.
I've partitioned the disc with FDISK, formatted it, copied files, games etc. and all seems to work without a hitch. But even though I've formatted with /s and I can see the system files, it still shows the above message and won't boot from the HDD.

I tried each of the 2 connectors on the IDE cable, replaced the IDE cable altogether, changed the card slot.. but no success.

Did you tried "fdisk /mbr"?

Reply 2 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"fixed disk controller failure" is something you normally get with IDE when the CHS parameters are incorrect. Are you sure you have entered them correctly in the BIOS? Should be 958/12/34.

Reply 3 of 12, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
.legaCy wrote:
anetanel wrote:
Hey guys. I got my hands on a sweet AMD 286-16Mhz pc. It came with an ISA "Super I/O Card" with an Acer M5105 A2 chip (picture a […]
Show full quote

Hey guys.
I added a WD Caviar 2200, 212.3 MB HDD, and configured it in the BIOS according to the writing on the disc - but every time I boot, I get an error message: "fixed disk controller failure". I need to press F1 to continue booting from floppy, or F2 to enter BIOS.

Did you tried "fdisk /mbr"?

Tried now.. didn't change much.

Reply 4 of 12, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

"fixed disk controller failure" is something you normally get with IDE when the CHS parameters are incorrect. Are you sure you have entered them correctly in the BIOS? Should be 958/12/34.

I am positive that I entered the correct parameters. But according to the writing on the disc, its 989/12/35. I tried the parameters you wrote, but I still got the same error.

Reply 5 of 12, by bloodbath2you

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote:

also, make sure the jumpers on the card are set correctly and the IDE is enabled, if not will display this error.

Reply 6 of 12, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Me experience with old WD caviars is that you should just remove the jumper to set it to master. No matter what the sticker says.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I'm not sure what's the problem exactly, but as a least resort, you can give S0Kill a try.
It'll remove any spurious data at the beginning of the fixed disk. Whatever mixes up the boot process should be gone by then.
(But becareful: Before you do, please don't forget to backup any important data on that HDD.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bloodbath2you wrote:

also, make sure the jumpers on the card are set correctly and the IDE is enabled, if not will display this error.

alvaro84 wrote:

Me experience with old WD caviars is that you should just remove the jumper to set it to master. No matter what the sticker says.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to play with the jumpers.
I couldn't find any place to change IDE settings though.

Reply 9 of 12, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, I'm not sure what's the problem exactly, but as a least resort, you can give S0Kill a try.
It'll remove any spurious data at the beginning of the fixed disk. Whatever mixes up the boot process should be gone by then.
(But becareful: Before you do, please don't forget to backup any important data on that HDD.)

Thanks. I'll try that too. There's nothing on the disk that can't be restored rather easily 😀
It could be a bit of a hassle to copy it with floppies, but it may just be a good reason to try to find my old laptop with LPT port and use Norton Commander to copy files over the wire 😎

Reply 10 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bloodbath2you wrote:

He can read the files on the HDD when booting from floppy. So IDE is surely enabled and jumpers are probably set correctly, too.

Reply 11 of 12, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes agree, IDE configuration seems to be OK. The problem is with the BIOS setting. Can you make a screenshot what else can be adjusted?

Does your mainbaord have an additional onboard IDE?

What happens if you select "no disk" in the BIOS? Still the error message?

Reply 12 of 12, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:

Dude! That worked!
I was sure (as others here) that since I can see the disk when booting from floppy, it is configured correctly.
Thank you very much.

I already ordered another IO card from Ebay 😜
I guess it doesn't hurt to have a spare...