VOGONS

First post, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I did build a 486 machine and tried to use a IDE 40GB HDD and a CF 128mb (with IDE > CF) with no luck.
My BIOS recognizes settings (HEAD ect.) for the C Drive and tells me its 123mb.
Now im trying for days to create a partition with FDISK from the Dos 6.22 start disk, Win95 start disk or FreeDOS start disk and the partitions just don't stick.
Once FDISK is closed my partition is gone, when I try to install DOS and tell it to just use all of my CF Cards space I get an error that DOS can't be installed.
When I try to boot the freeDOS floppy it tells me: "illegal partition table" and just prints the same garbled line of random characters.

I'm at my wits end, and hope someone here can help.
If you need specific information please ask, I'm happy to provide it.

MOBO: Chaintech 4SLB

Thank you, Ultraporing

Reply 2 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

Seems to be a issue with the I/O controller then.

I managed now to create a partition with freeDOS fdisk, but it only shows up in freeDOS fdisk and not in DOS 6.22 fdisk,
When I try to use the freeDOS format tool i get:

[DEBUG] FORMAT 0.91w, selected drive C:
[DEBUG] Sector buffer at 18CB:B9DA, track buffer at 18CB:8DDA
[DEBUG] Invalid Drive! Aborting

The Floppy drive works and it uses the same Card as the HDD.
I got a Soundblaster AWE32 too, I did connect there my CD Rom drive, and this works.

If i need a new HDD / FDD Card then I'll buy one, any recommendations? I don't know whats a decent one with high compatibility.

Just bought this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Multi-IO-Controller-m … JsAAOSwE-lZ-cIj
seems to be this one: http://old.vgamuseum.info/benchmarks/486-cirr … -cl-gd5428.html
(629) PALM VL-BUS rev.B.3 combo

Let's hope this one works properly

Thanks

Reply 3 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ultraporing wrote:
I managed now to create a partition with freeDOS fdisk, but it only shows up in freeDOS fdisk and not in DOS 6.22 fdisk, When I […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:

Seems to be a issue with the I/O controller then.

I managed now to create a partition with freeDOS fdisk, but it only shows up in freeDOS fdisk and not in DOS 6.22 fdisk,
When I try to use the freeDOS format tool i get:

[DEBUG] FORMAT 0.91w, selected drive C:
[DEBUG] Sector buffer at 18CB:B9DA, track buffer at 18CB:8DDA
[DEBUG] Invalid Drive! Aborting

The Floppy drive works and it uses the same Card as the HDD.
I got a Soundblaster AWE32 too, I did connect there my CD Rom drive, and this works.

If i need a new HDD / FDD Card then I'll buy one, any recommendations? I don't know whats a decent one with high compatibility.

Just bought this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Multi-IO-Controller-m … JsAAOSwE-lZ-cIj
seems to be this one: http://old.vgamuseum.info/benchmarks/486-cirr … -cl-gd5428.html
(629) PALM VL-BUS rev.B.3 combo

Let's hope this one works properly

Thanks

Ohhh, that is a weird one... All I/O.. maybe SCSI, and VGA as well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received today this card.
I got still problems with my 40Gig HDD but it can install dos now with the CF solution and I ordered a 10gig HDD to test it with this one.
CF boots now to dos.

Thank you for your help!

Reply 5 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly now there is a new problem, I tried connecting Serial mice and ps2 mice (via serial -> ps2 adapter), but i cant get the mice to work.
In Dos 6.22 as well as Win 3.11.
I tried: Some IBM compatible mouse driver, Cutemouse. It only tells me that it is connected in system mode or how its called. And the mice do not work in the Test programs or in games.
Sadly I got no Serial ports on the board 🙁.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Reply 6 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ultraporing wrote:

Sadly now there is a new problem, I tried connecting Serial mice and ps2 mice (via serial -> ps2 adapter), but i cant get the mice to work.

The mouse must support the PS/2 protocoll for the adapter to work. You can not just connect any serial mouse, unless it's an active adapter (protocoll converter).

Reply 7 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Adapter used: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Maus-Adapter-PS-2-Buch … 353.m2749.l2649

The card I mentioned above got 2x Com port connections. I tried connecting the serial port mice on their own (no luck), and like I said the Ps2 mice with that cable (no luck either).
Its kinda odd that even the old serial mice i got dont work.
I'll take some pictures form msd, maybe it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20180116_140220.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180116_140220.jpg
    File size
    2.18 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    msd com
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20180116_140017.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180116_140017.jpg
    File size
    2.13 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    msd pc
    File license
  • IMG_20180116_140211.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180116_140211.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    msd irq
    File license
  • IMG_20180116_140009.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20180116_140009.jpg
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    msd
    File license
Last edited by Ultraporing on 2018-01-16, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The description of the adapter clearly says that the mouse must be compatible. It's not a protocoll converter, just a passive adapter.

Are the COM port cables you use for the I/O card, or did you just use ones that fit? There were two different pinout, numbered and zig-zag. They are not interchangeable. Most common cause for non-working ports are wrong COM port cables.

Reply 9 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sadly there were no com port cables included with the card. so i used the one from the old card which had broken ide. I also tried to use the old card only for com purposes since there was a com port included and connected to it.
Also no luck.

The Com port cable i use on the IO card was attached to another IO card with the pins labeled the same.

So this means im forced to import for 30+ Eur an IBM compatible mouse? That kinda sucks.

Reply 10 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't see from the pin labeling whether the cable matches or not. The difference is how the wires are connected to the d-sub connector. If you have a soldering iron, you could modify it to the other pinout. Pinout #1 has all pins connected in order, so pin x of the d-sub connector is also pin x on the other side. Pinout #2 goes zig-zag on the d-sub connector: odd pin numbers are on the upper row (the one with 5 pins), even ones on the lower row. In both pinouts, pin 1 is the starting point and pin 1 on both sides.

Reply 11 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tip with the pinouts. Do you have a diagram for both? I got a soldering iron and could resolder them, but I like to be sure that i solder the correct pins.
Or do these different connection types have specific names? So I can look up more information on them.

Thanks

Reply 13 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its pinout #1 and looks like a botched wire.
I'll check if I still have some rs232 lying around and sodler a converter. so I dont have to rip that wire apart.

edit: I just saw a wire on that connector is ripped off. nvm didnt help, i resolder it to pinout 2.
didnt help maybe i did the wiring wrong, but thats it. I'll buy 2 extension slots, one crossed and one not.

do you think i could just use this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/WINCOR-NIXDORF-ISA-4x- … hUAAOSwFdtXxuyS
Or do you know a shop from germany that sells the crossed and non crossed cables?

Reply 14 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll probably find the 10GB HDD still wont work.
486's usually recognise 500MB or 8GB drives.

Reply 15 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

My experience was similar so far. They usually support CHS and E-CHS (aka Large). LBA came a bit later to the party.
It also helps to try period-correct cabling for trouble-shooting..
Like for example, 40pin IDE cables or old-style floppy cables with additional edge connectors.

@derSammler That pinout is right, but I have come across some weird pinouts also.
For example, the Surfstation JNT (an x86 set-top box) uses something like this: 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, etc.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 16 of 16, by Ultraporing

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
My experience was similar so far. They usually support CHS and E-CHS (aka Large). LBA came a bit later to the party. It also hel […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote:

My experience was similar so far. They usually support CHS and E-CHS (aka Large). LBA came a bit later to the party.
It also helps to try period-correct cabling for trouble-shooting..
Like for example, 40pin IDE cables or old-style floppy cables with additional edge connectors.

@derSammler That pinout is right, but I have come across some weird pinouts also.
For example, the Surfstation JNT (an x86 set-top box) uses something like this: 1->1, 2->2, 3->3, etc.

My bios got settings for: Normal, LBA and Large.
I ordered additionally an Industrial 2GB CF card just to be on the safe side.
Any thoughts on a ISA COM port extension card? Otherwise I would try to get some new IO -> COM cables. Maybe the cable was just done for, because it was very old and discolored.
I can also just wire up the connectors myself, but I tried to avoid this since I would need to buy all the connectors for a way to high price.

Thank you guys for the Input.

#EDIT: It works now, the COM ports got recognized. I ordered 2x Comport sequentially wired from china. And they work. I now use my Gfx Card for it too. Also the 10GB HDD I ordered does work. therefore my PC is complete. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP.