Smallest Socket 7 Motherboard

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by elmeyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-07-17, 03:46:
elmeyer wrote on 2020-01-05, 10:01:

I think the Aquarius 5BLSP-A has them all beat is up there. It is to my knowledge only found in the Igel WinNET IV thin client. SiS 530 "Super Socket 7" chipset with onboard graphics via AGP (great DOS compatibility), built-in ESS Solo-1 (also great DOS compatibility for a PCI chip) and Realtek RTL8139B 10/100 LAN. Supports K6-2+ and K6-3+ OOB, which mitigates the low 64 MB cacheable RAM due to only 512 KB of motherboard cache. It also has a DOC socket and 44-pin IDE, great for adding a CF card. Note also the PCI/ISA riser — stick a Voodoo in there, and you’ve got yourself a powerful tiny time machine that handles even speed-sensitive DOS games (FSB even goes down to 50 MHz) up to late-90s Windows games. Picture attached.

50CE69D5-1C82-42C7-AAF7-B634E03BE674.jpeg

EDIT: whoops, didn’t see kool_kitty89‘s post. Anyway, this board still packs a lot of punch for its size.

Say, is this machine yours? What CPU is it running and how was the CPU voltage set?
I have the 5BLSP-A (Igel Etherminal J+) and a copy of the manual, but I can't seem to make heads or tails with the voltage setting. The voltage quoted for the setting (lowest 3 pins closed) does not seem to match the one used on the default (K6-2E @ 333MHz , AMZ model, 1.9VCore/3.3VIO)...

Mine came overvolted to 2.1V, IIRC. But check the voltage reported in the BIOS to see what’s really going on.

Reply 41 of 44, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elmeyer wrote on 2020-07-17, 14:58:
elmeyer wrote on 2020-01-05, 10:01:

I think the Aquarius 5BLSP-A has them all beat is up there. It is to my knowledge only found in the Igel WinNET IV thin client. SiS 530 "Super Socket 7" chipset with onboard graphics via AGP (great DOS compatibility), built-in ESS Solo-1 (also great DOS compatibility for a PCI chip) and Realtek RTL8139B 10/100 LAN. Supports K6-2+ and K6-3+ OOB, which mitigates the low 64 MB cacheable RAM due to only 512 KB of motherboard cache. It also has a DOC socket and 44-pin IDE, great for adding a CF card. Note also the PCI/ISA riser — stick a Voodoo in there, and you’ve got yourself a powerful tiny time machine that handles even speed-sensitive DOS games (FSB even goes down to 50 MHz) up to late-90s Windows games. Picture attached.

50CE69D5-1C82-42C7-AAF7-B634E03BE674.jpeg

EDIT: whoops, didn’t see kool_kitty89‘s post. Anyway, this board still packs a lot of punch for its size.

Say, is this machine yours? What CPU is it running and how was the CPU voltage set?
I have the 5BLSP-A (Igel Etherminal J+) and a copy of the manual, but I can't seem to make heads or tails with the voltage setting. The voltage quoted for the setting (Jumpers 5 to 10 closed) does not seem to match the one used on the default (K6-2E @ 333MHz , AMZ model, 1.9VCore/3.3VIO)...

Mine came overvolted to 2.1V, IIRC. But check the voltage reported in the BIOS to see what’s really going on.

Oh, the Winnet IV is yours? Nice - it’s definitely a good little SS7 machine. I added a DVDRW drive in mine and would mod it for a ribbon Gotek and a Voodoo2 later on.
Which CPU did you install in yours?

I pulled the jumper next to the Realtek NIC just so I have have another jumper to work with and filled up jumpers 3 to 10 to get the VCore to 2v as per the manual. BIOS reported 2.05v, which is good enough for my 400MHz (100x4) K6-2E+ ACR (2.0VCore, 3.3VIO). I really should swap the original CPU back and restore the jumper settings - I was rather curious which voltage it ran on...closing jumpers 5-10 is not on the list of voltages on the manual.

Reply 42 of 44, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote on 2018-01-07, 00:48:

That AGP board is interesting.

As for the thread topic, I've seen a socket seven about this size. Most of the last gen boards for any socket were this size. I think the absolute most narrow I've seen was a turbo XT board.

Here's a Zida I bought. Nice board, but no option for AT bus waitstates, which messes up the OPL on some cards when playing old games that expect something like an Adlib. Ultima 6 has this problem.

That's a nice one!

As for SSocket 7 - the Gigabyte GA-5AA seems dandy. I had one a few years ago and it's a screamer + cool to look at.

Reply 43 of 44, by elmeyer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-07-18, 03:17:
Oh, the Winnet IV is yours? Nice - it’s definitely a good little SS7 machine. I added a DVDRW drive in mine and would mod it f […]
Show full quote
elmeyer wrote on 2020-07-17, 14:58:

I have the 5BLSP-A (Igel Etherminal J+) and a copy of the manual, but I can't seem to make heads or tails with the voltage setting. The voltage quoted for the setting (Jumpers 5 to 10 closed) does not seem to match the one used on the default (K6-2E @ 333MHz , AMZ model, 1.9VCore/3.3VIO)...

Oh, the Winnet IV is yours? Nice - it’s definitely a good little SS7 machine. I added a DVDRW drive in mine and would mod it for a ribbon Gotek and a Voodoo2 later on.
Which CPU did you install in yours?

I pulled the jumper next to the Realtek NIC just so I have have another jumper to work with and filled up jumpers 3 to 10 to get the VCore to 2v as per the manual. BIOS reported 2.05v, which is good enough for my 400MHz (100x4) K6-2E+ ACR (2.0VCore, 3.3VIO). I really should swap the original CPU back and restore the jumper settings - I was rather curious which voltage it ran on...closing jumpers 5-10 is not on the list of voltages on the manual.

I’ve got a K6-III+ 450 ACZ in there, which handles 550 MHz at stock voltage no problem. I also did what you’re planning on: I cut out a part of the front metal plate to make the Voodoo2 fit, so while I ditched the faceplate making it look a little rough, I still have a very compact portable Voodoo2 rig with everything contained in the case.

Reply 44 of 44, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2020-01-04, 23:40:
I have a pdf manual and a separate single page pdf jumper sheet for this board. Found on the net. AFAIK there is no revision num […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2020-01-04, 21:55:

gerwin, do you have the manual ? There appears to be a r1 and r2 of the 5RSA, a bit differant jumper layout.
https://web.archive.org/web/20040228103215/ht … ion/Manuals.HTM

I have a pdf manual and a separate single page pdf jumper sheet for this board. Found on the net.
AFAIK there is no revision number and the only identification string is the sticker on the BIOS EEPROM.
The PDF files do not mention board revisions either.
Attached a photo of the board I have stored here.

The original Chaintech 5RSA0 jumper sheet is downright dangerous, with the voltage jumper table shown upside down in relation to the motherboard illustration.
I made a new jumper sheet, and attached it to this post.
- It also shows the unofficial lower voltages, down to 1,3 Volt.
- Has a restored CPU configuration table, because the manual was missing parts there.
- Also applies to the 5RSA2, with one difference mentioned at the top right. Plus a difference in the Audio section, since 5RSA2 has an ESS Solo chip there.

Thanks to the instructions supplied by Meljor / RichB93 / Sphere478 I managed to make the Tillamook Pentium MMX SL2Z4 work on this board, with L2 cache. I added a VCC2DET wire-mod to the board itself, instead of the CPU. This way I could also run the Pentium Mobile 133 SY028.

I slightly prefer the 5RSA0 over the 5RSA2. Because the ESS Solo on the latter board sounds terribly noisy, regardless of settings. The 5RSA2 has a slightly different VRM section. The rest seems to be the same. Both boards can be updated with a K6+ compatible BIOS (patched by Jan Steunebrink).

The 5RSA0 had bulging capacitors adjacent the DIMM slot, which limited it to 66MHz FSB operation. I replaced these. 5RSA2 shows no such problem.

Attachments

• CT-5RSA0-Jumpers-Rebuild.png
    Filename
    CT-5RSA0-Jumpers-Rebuild.png
    File size
    77.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CT-5RSA0-Jumpers-Rebuild
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename