VOGONS

First post, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Got two Socket A/462 motherboards that are not starting. The CPU and PSU fan starts spinning for a brief second and then shutdown.

Same behavior on both boards (Abit NF7 and Asus A7V8X-X) and two PSUs (Corsair AX700 and Corsair CX500). The CX500 PSU was used to power the original Abit NF7 setup. I ordered the Asus as a replacement since i suspected dead caps on the Abit. Currently the caps are looking good on both boards after I replaced some blown/bulging caps on the on the Abit. Replacement board (with it's included CPU and Memory) was tested OK at seller so that board should at least boot.

Tried resetting BIOS and replacing BIOS batteries.

Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 8, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those newer psu cant properly handle the load on +5v rail required by the socket 462.
PhilsComputerLab had a video testing some power supplies with some cpu.
Usually i go straight to a new corsair psu for old computers, but on my athlon xp i took the care of refurbish one old psu that had died on me just because of the high current rating on the +5v

Reply 4 of 8, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tnx. Found the PhilsComputerLab video while browsing for a solution and suspect that the 5V rail might be the issue.
What puzzles me is that the motherboard went through POST with one of the PSUs before the caps blew 🙁

Will see if I can source an old PSU for this project. I guess I'll have to switch to a P4 setup if not.

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could also be the CPUs.

I've got a large number of Socket A CPUs. Most of them don't work at all.

If at least one of the corners is chipped and they aren't working, it is a good indication that they are dead.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

It could also be the CPUs.

I've got a large number of Socket A CPUs. Most of them don't work at all.

If at least one of the corners is chipped and they aren't working, it is a good indication that they are dead.

I would lean toward this being the issue.

They were nice processors at the time but the failure rate from physical damage or heat over the years is astronomically high compared to other CPUs. The Socket A era is one I really enjoyed but I absolutely hate dealing with the processors. I have Athlons and boards that have been running and working fine for 15 years, so in the right situations they're great, but you can damage them by just looking at them wrong and most of the ones you'll find used have probably been abused.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 8, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abit NF7 is supposed to use the 12V rail for the processor, so I doubt the PSUs are the problem.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 8 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote:

Abit NF7 is supposed to use the 12V rail for the processor, so I doubt the PSUs are the problem.

This is what made me suspect the 5v lines, it's a really common problem.

Many NF boards use a separate 12v connector and need less power from the 5v line, so newer PSUs have a better chance of succesfully working with such a board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!