VOGONS

First post, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just recently purchased an MSI MS6119 BX2 v1.1 motherboard on ebay and claimed to be tested and working. It powers up but never posts. Won't even give me warning beeps. Tried resetting CMOS, swapping battery, swapping CPUs (which also came with a tested one), RAM, etc. I noticed the CPU never gets warm.

I emailed the seller and he said it's very likely the PSU does not have -5V. I checked my Antec 430w and he's right, it doesn't have it (which I figured as much). But, I am very surprised that the board would require such a thing. He did send me photos of it from when he tested it the day he shipped it with the proper date on the BIOS so I believe him in that it was working before shipment.

Has anyone ever heard of a later-era BX440 requiring -5V? I was always under the impression that it was required from some older ISA cards. And if it does require it, where can I source one? I'd prefer a modern one if possible.

Reply 1 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My MS-6119 BX2 v1.1 certainly doesn't require -5V.

There might be different subrevisions of the v1.1 though. Read up some on Coppermine compatibility after picking up mine, and every source I could find clearly stated that the VRM on my board couldn't output the lower voltages needed, only v1.2 boards were supposed to be able to do that if I remember it right. Decided to run a Coppermine slightly overvolted in it. At some point I managed to jumper the slotket for a voltage that the mobo wasn't supposed to be able to supply by mistake. The board posted and reported the lower voltage. Did some measurements with the multimeter, and sure, the readout corresponded with the BIOS report. Did some further testing, turned out it could supply voltages down to 1.3 volts.

Not that I believe the revision matters, never heard of an ATX board requiring -5V, just don't want to bet my right hand on it when your board might be different from mine despite having the same revision number.

By the way, if you get it back to life, you have an absolutely wonderful board 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, he gave me a patched CPU i.e. it has the wiring mods done to it and a compatible slotket apparently with it's own VRM. He sent pictures of it working including in Windows with CPU-Z. So I have no reason to disbelieve the guy.

Anyways, yes -5V requirement sounds odd, but he's claiming he's run into this problem even with i815E boards. I'm gonna humour him and locate a -5V PSU. I have a friend whose father passed away and he had some older P2, Slot A(!) and other old machines around that I didn't claim but the PSUs might have the -5V who knows.

The board is supposed to support 800mhz. I have a P3 800mhz Slot 1 100mhz FSB so I tried that and it still wouldn't post or even get the CPU warm.

Reply 3 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Maraakate wrote:

Well, he gave me a patched CPU i.e. it has the wiring mods done to it and a compatible slotket apparently with it's own VRM. He sent pictures of it working including in Windows with CPU-Z. So I have no reason to disbelieve the guy.

Anyways, yes -5V requirement sounds odd, but he's claiming he's run into this problem even with i815E boards. I'm gonna humour him and locate a -5V PSU. I have a friend whose father passed away and he had some older P2, Slot A(!) and other old machines around that I didn't claim but the PSUs might have the -5V who knows.

The board is supposed to support 800mhz. I have a P3 800mhz Slot 1 100mhz FSB so I tried that and it still wouldn't post or even get the CPU warm.

Wow, nice, if it's really got its own VRM, and not just voltage clamp jumpers to control the mobo's VRM, it's probably a Powerleap adapter - I don't know of any other models with onboard VRM at least - and one of those is probably worth more than the mobo. If you got it free of additional charge so to speak, you might have done a good deal even if the mobo is broken 😀

Well, if it doesn't cost you anything, it won't hurt to give it a try. But still, yeah, sounds very odd. I'm assuming you've already done the basic stuff, like double checking that you haven't forgotten anything, disconnected and reconnected everything, checked that all standoffs are in the right places and not shorting out something on the board if it's mounted in a case, tried with other DIMMs or moving around the existing one(s), tried another graphics card, etc, etc.

My MS-6119 accepts anything PII and PIII at 66 or 100MHz FSB I throw at it, the CPU:s ignores the multiplier setting from the mobo. The only oddity is a Tualeron 1,4GHz, which reports 1368 MHz or something like that at POST. CPU-z then reports 1400 MHz, or something very close to it. But probably not a bad idea to troubleshoot with something officially supported anyways 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I tried booting the board with nothing plugged in. No CPU, RAM, etc. just to see if it would beep and it doesn't do that either. I also was sure to try this with it sitting on a cardboard box to make sure the standoffs weren't shorting the board. So I really can't say for certain unless maybe it got damage in transit one way or another.

Unfortunately, the person who has the old power supplies is unable to do it tonight. But they said I could stop by tomorrow. So tomorrow night I'll have a report on it.

Btw, I was wrong about a VRM. It's just a generic one, but the 1.3 celeron has been modded like I said for the voltage similar to this: http://www.mrufer.ch/pc/tualatin_e.html

Reply 7 of 9, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave up on this board, got another P3B-F and that thing works fine. I was able to use that patched 1.3ghz with the P3B-F and have it running at 1.495ghz. Kicks so much ass in Q2DOS. Not sure what went wrong with the MSI board. I did the usual inspecting of the board for anything obviously broken or bent but I never saw anything.

Reply 8 of 9, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same problem with the same board, though it's stock without any mods. I've tried different CPUs, memory modules, PSUs, GFX cards, but nothing works. Not even an error beep. No visible damage or bulging caps. What could the problem be?

Is this too much voodoo?