VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this PSU- LITEON PS-5131-1F, thinking I'll use it for a 486 build in a desktop baby case. But I found out that this PSU does not have a switch on its side like my case needs.
Furthermore, I couldn't find any switch...
I mean, I'm familiar with PSUs that have a flip switch on its side - XT style. "AT" PSUs that have a push switch. and modern ATX PSUs that are operated from the motherboard or by shorting some pins on the motherboard connector.
But this is the first time I saw a PSU without any noticeable way of turning it on.

What am I missing?

20180104_161802.jpg
Filename
20180104_161802.jpg
File size
223.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20180104_161748.jpg
Filename
20180104_161748.jpg
File size
235.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it's a power supply for an OEM PC. The little brown connector probably connects to specific motherboards in other to provide some kind of soft-off. Probably bridging two of its wires turns on the power supply, similar to what the green and black wires do in ATX? But I'm just speculating here.

Other than that, the unit seems to have the standard AT power connectors along with the additional 3.3V supply that certain motherboards use (the one with the brown wires).

Reply 2 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As TheMobRules said, this looks indeed like a PSU from a late P1 OEM PC. There was a short period where such PSUs existed, AT but with with power management capabilities. Essentially it works like an ATX PSU, just the connector hadn't changed yet. I believe the most common motherboard having this design (AT power connector + additional 3.3V connector) was Intel's Orlando NV430VX, produced for OEMs only.

Reply 3 of 3, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. That explains why some sites called this PSU's Form Factor "HP-specific".
I'll try shorting those pins and see if something happens.

While on the subject, what do I have to search for for a 486 dx4 compatible PSU, that fits in a desktop baby case with an opening on the side for power switch?