VOGONS

First post, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First time using a serial mouse.
Iv tried both mouse.com and cutemouse, and replacing the ball, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to get the cursor movements to register.

Mouse button presses work fine, but no movement. In all programs and games iv tested too.

I'm pretty sure it should just setup mouse movement initially right? Like its not trying to read it as a joystick?
This mouse was sold as "tested", i really couldn't tell you the brand as theirs no markings on it. Could be an oem brand?

Attachments

• mouse.jpg
    Filename
    mouse.jpg
    File size
    208.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you taken the ball out underneath and cleaned the wheels?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 11, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Have you taken the ball out underneath and cleaned the wheels?

Yup, i just finished attempting that, also tried spinning the ball with the mouse opened up to see if something wasn't working.
Nothing looked out of the ordinary, still no mouse cursor movement.

Sooo, here i'm starting to guess it wasn't fully "tested", unless this mouse needed a special driver?

Reply 3 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had wire inside the cable break, which wasn't obvious from the outside. I also wonder if there is an IRQ conflict. Have you tried using a known working serial mouse on the same computer? Did you try the mouse.com utility?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 11, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I've had wire inside the cable break, which wasn't obvious from the outside. I also wonder if there is an IRQ conflict. Have you tried using a known working serial mouse on the same computer? Did you try the mouse.com utility?

No unfortunately, this is my only serial mouse so it could be the controller card too, although everything else on it seems to be in good order.

I double checked my IRQs. Cutemouse reports the mouse installed at COM1: IRQ4 in Microsoft Mode. Running the included comtest utility shows the same thing.

My soundcard only takes up IRQ 5 (WSS) and 7 (Soundblaster). I don't have a networking card , cd-rom, or anything else i'm aware of that could be eating my IRQs.

Reply 5 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try setting COM1 to IRQ3.

Do you have another computer with a serial port? You can get USB-to-serial converters on modern computers as well. There are/were also PCMCIA converters.

Reply 6 of 11, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Try setting COM1 to IRQ3.

Do you have another computer with a serial port? You can get USB-to-serial converters on modern computers as well. There are/were also PCMCIA converters.

Excuse the slightly beginner question, but how would i go about doing that? There where no jumpers for such a thing on my card. Only for disabling \ Enabling the port an a few other things, but nothing for selecting IRQs.

Nope, no other computer unfortunately (really need to build a second computer testbench for double checking this stuff, haha 🤣 )

Reply 7 of 11, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recommend getting a USB-to-serial adapter for testing purposes.

When the serial port is on the motherboard, there is often a setting in the BIOS to set the IRQ and port. When using an ISA serial card, I think the option is set via a jumper on the card. Does your BIOS have the option to change the IRQ?

Reply 8 of 11, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I recommend getting a USB-to-serial adapter for testing purposes.

When the serial port is on the motherboard, there is often a setting in the BIOS to set the IRQ and port. When using an ISA serial card, I think the option is set via a jumper on the card. Does your BIOS have the option to change the IRQ?

Nope, nothing in the bios. My motherboard is a dataexpert exp4044.
As for the card, taking another look just incase, there are no jumpers that mention Com-port IRQs. Just enabling / disabling com ports, and some FDD, HDD and printer port stuff.

Reply 10 of 11, by Yuuker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

There are some 8-bit ISA cards which just have 2 serial ports on them.

Mine only has one, although double checking the jumpers again briefly, it looks like you might be able to assign ports after all?

There are 2 listing for settings as follows. it does list COM2 but theres only one actual serial port. All jumpers are set in the 1-2 position.

J4] COM 2 | (1-2) COM2 | (2-3) COM4
J6} COM 1 | (1-2) COM1 | (2-3) COM3

Reply 11 of 11, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is very likely that there is a pin header on your card for an additional Serial Port. Please post focused, high-resolution pictures of both sides of your I/O card to help us further help you.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build