VOGONS

First post, by MiniBits

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I just snatched up an original Geforce 256 32MB card + a Soundblaster AWE32 (CT3980)

The sound card mostly because I had one just like it back in the days and it felt "awesome" so for nostalgia reasons I picked one up again...

I never had a GeForce 256 but stumbled upon it and they seem very hard to find, unlike the very common Geforce 2 types but figured it would be fun to toy around with

No clue if I got a good deal? Paid 20 USD for the Geforce 256 and 50 USD for the AWE32 (a lot in my world but I just wanted it!) but Europe is generally expensive compared to the US from what I see.

I plan to build 2 machines... one a 486 66-120MHz (what I had back then going from 66 to 80 to 120) and a P3, probably just gonna splurge but the one I had back then was like 550 MHz or something

I can't remember any of the old graphics cards I had along side my Voodoo 1 6MB and later a Voodoo 2 12MB any recommandations for a nice card for dos/voodoo2 gaming since that requires a 2D card. I read so many places that you had to use P2+ for Voodoo 2's but I am pretty sure I only had a 486DX4 120MHz at the time and gamed just fine (we played with what we could afford)

So resume:

Did I get ok deal on Geforce256 and AWE32?
Which mobo/gfx card should I aim for, for 486 system
Which mobo should I aim for with P3? I would guess P3 1.4GHz (just going all out) BX450 chipset or whatever it was called back then?

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 256 - ok. AWE32 could be better on local markets.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by PKFreeZZy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can only surely answer your first question, the other ones maybe and yes you did get an amazing price for the GeForce 256-AWE32 combo for how utterly rare they both are nowadays.

For the 486 machine get some ISA card, or if your MoBo supports is, a PCI one, with up to 4MB of onboard RAM, it was that era when the Voodoo and other early 3D cards began emerging so they all continued with the 4MB base. I'm not very familiar with 2D graphics cards at all but I've seen a few ISA bus ones. If you're looking for a budget card you'll definitely want a PCI solution since they seem to be less expensive overall.

One of the best motherboards for the Pentium III was the ASUS P3B, although it only supported Slot 1 processors, and even those were somewhat limited. If you're planning to use the 1.4Ghz version you'll need a Slotket adapter, since the later Coppermine-T and Tualatin architectures used Socket 370 and fiddle around with some of the jumpers to get it to work. Not quite sure which actual S370 board I should recommend though.Just ask around and make sure your board is fully compatible with it so you don't end up having to mod voltages and FSB clocks.

Last edited by PKFreeZZy on 2018-01-05, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

My Windows 98 PC: Slot 1 Pentium III 600 (Katmai) | 256MB PC133 SDRAM | 64MB Leadtek WinFast GeForce2 Pro | Creative SB16 CT2230 | Intel PRO/100+ with Alert on LAN* | 18.64GB Seagate ST320011A | Corsair CX430 | ASUS P2B Rev. 1.04

Reply 3 of 5, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the Geforce card the SDR variant or DDR variant? If it's the latter, than I would say yes - the DDR version is much better and more sought after. $50 for the AWE32 is great as well, especially for a model with a waveblaster header if you tire of the AWE32 native synth. It's also got true Yamaha OPL3 through the CT-1747 chip and is NOT plug and play, so a win-win-win in my book. Well done!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 4 of 5, by MiniBits

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Artex wrote:

Is the Geforce card the SDR variant or DDR variant? If it's the latter, than I would say yes - the DDR version is much better and more sought after. $50 for the AWE32 is great as well, especially for a model with a waveblaster header if you tire of the AWE32 native synth. It's also got true Yamaha OPL3 through the CT-1747 chip and is NOT plug and play, so a win-win-win in my book. Well done!

from what I can figure out then it is the SDR variant CT6940, I know the DDR one is better but either one is extremely hard to find and this one was the first I found, might scoop up the other if I find it as well. The Soundcard was an easy choice, insta-snatched it when I saw it, from what I know it doesn't have the hanging bug (win) either + NOT pnp (big win) and as you say OPL (win) and yeah can add on waveblaster headers (win) but finding the add ons seems hard or extremely pricey? and adding the Waveblaster from Creative Labs seems moot since it should be the same as on the card if I remember right but some of the "others" might be better but which ones I don't know, so on that point I am on deep water.

Reply 5 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had the DDR version a ways back and found it a tad slow even though it had only cost me a few bucks at a goodwill before they could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Fun collectable but once you get bored of it put it away in a safe place where you can lose it as it will only get more valuable.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.