VOGONS

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After buying a NEC V20, I thought I'd spend a lazy Sunday testing it out on my 5160. So off came the case (easy when you lose the damn screws during a house move argh!) and expansion cards and gently lifted the AMD 8088 to swap for a V20.

After installing, I fired her up and went through the 640K RAM check no problem. The usual beeps and then just a flashing cursor. "Great" I thought, a duff chip. So I swapped it back, reinstalled the cards (removing a few that weren't essential just in case), powered on and the same result. Bugger...
So I go hunting through my second hand 5.25" floppies and dug out a DOS 3.20 bootable, and she boots fine with that. Then I thought I'd try accessing the C-drive and alas, got the C: prompt. So far, so good. "DIR" also lists everything absolutely fine too. So it works it seems.

So I thought I'd try and run GEM that was on this when I got it (never reformatted this drive as I didn't have the software to do it properly) and I get a "Seek error reading drive C". Not so good... It does try and load regardless but it crashes even before the splash screen. Really annoying as about a month ago this was working 100%. Gotta love how we torture ourselves with this hobby. 🙄 Anyway, finding a working original IBM Seagate HD won't be easy and alternative solutions are pretty much out of the question given like the HD, how expensive they are to find now (working atleast).

So I'm going to need some kind of software that can check the disk for errors. CHKDSK tells me all the info on capacity and what's used/free/etc, bit not the condition of it. My question is what options do I have? I really am limited with software as I have no means of easily making disks nor do I have the hardware to somehow network and transfer (which again would be difficult without a working HD).

P.S. Do these old Seagate drives need to be parked? I'm rather hoping they don't as this may be why I'm now getting issues and it's genuinely concerning me now.

Reply 1 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Backup what's still readable and do a low-level format. The hard disk will probably work again after that.

All hard disks with an external actuator (stepper motor) needs parking. Only voice coil can park itself, but afaik no hard disk with ST506/ST412 interface ever used voice coil.

Reply 2 of 6, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok it's actually working now. It always freaks me out when old hardware just mends itself like this, (often after I've actually posted a thread online).

But yes I will backup whatever I can (atleast stuff that's useful). But what's the most efficient and/or cost effective solution for transferring data for these old machines? Ideally I'd need a fresh install and to make sure that the parking software works too.

Also would it be beneficial to lubricate the actuator pinion? If so what kind of lube would be best? Lithium based perhaps?

Reply 3 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tokyoracer wrote:

But what's the most efficient and/or cost effective solution for transferring data for these old machines?

Parallel port Zip100 drive. Cheap and works with no drivers to install. All you need is a DOS disk with GUEST.EXE.

Reply 5 of 6, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

... All hard disks with an external actuator (stepper motor) needs parking. Only voice coil can park itself, but afaik no hard disk with ST506/ST412 interface ever used voice coil.

Not sure which drive OP has, but some Seagate MFM drives (such as ST-225, ST-251) park themselves on power-off. These are an exception, though; most stepper drives do indeed need manual parking.

There were also some voice-coil MFM drives, but they are rare due to being high-end expensive products when they were new. See: Microscience HH-1050.

Reply 6 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Worst case scenario, I have a literal PILE of these drives. Since Vogons doesn't allow trading, my advice would be to keep your eyes open on ebay. There is someone who sells these with bids starting at $9.99 (plus shipping)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.