VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got my hands on an AMD 286 computer, but I can't find out what motherboard it has, and therefor not sure about jumper settings etc.
The clues I have are:
The CPU (N80L286-16L) is soldered to the board.
It uses a CHIPS F28C235 chipset.
The only writing on the board that didn't seem to indicate a component is near the leftmost card slot, and says "156-1-0691" - which results nothing in Google.
The back side is void of any marking, except one corner that says "Kalex 94v-0 k368 2991", which as far as I can understand is the blank pcb manufacturer.

I've attached pictures of the motherboard.

2018-01-07 22.24.18.jpg
Filename
2018-01-07 22.24.18.jpg
File size
4.68 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2018-01-07 22.32.30.jpg
Filename
2018-01-07 22.32.30.jpg
File size
420.34 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have a look here: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/#1 (under 286 motherboards).
Look for something distinct about the layout of your motherboard and then see if you can track down yours, based on the schematics.

Reply 2 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went over all of the 286 boards by picture, but couldn't find it.
I searched the ASCII files for matches according to the speaker and battery jumper numbers, but the few hits that I got, were of other boards...
Also tried by bios and chipset.. but no cigar...

Reply 3 of 13, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Clean this before turning anything on....

Its unlikely to damage anything iwth a wrong jumper setting...but you will not do anything good to that board when turning on in that condition...

Reply 4 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Clean this before turning anything on....

Its unlikely to damage anything iwth a wrong jumper setting...but you will not do anything good to that board when turning on in that condition...

Oh, its much cleaner that it was when I got it 😀

2017-12-04 06.48.41.jpg
Filename
2017-12-04 06.48.41.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

I've been using it for few weeks now, and it works great. But I know.. I really need to clean it seriously.

Reply 5 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was searching for something else, and I fell over this tool: http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/bios.html#ctbios

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:

WOW! Now that's a nice archeological find, where did you dig up this artifact? Also, you aren't using original PSU that came with it, are you?

Some guy gave a monochrome monitor for free. I asked if he still has the computer that came with it - and he did!
He thought it was an XT computer, but evidently it is a 286 16Mhz. I think that at that time here (Israel), we just called any old computer that had a monochrome card "XT".
And yes.. I use the original PSU. I was shocked that the computer turned on without any problems. I had a fire extinguisher ready...
The fan on the PSU does not run though, so I don't keep it running for too long.
Hopefully I'll get some time soon to give it a much deserved restore.

Reply 10 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

🤣...I take back what I have written. Astonishing its still working...!

So what Jumper setting are you looking for? I think you dont need to change anything when its running.

I bought an external battery and wanted to know the polarity of the pins on the board, as the header can be connected either way. In the meantime I took a guess and it seems that the battery works.
But still, would be nice to know some more details on this piece of history 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anetanel wrote:

And yes.. I use the original PSU. I was shocked that the computer turned on without any problems. I had a fire extinguisher ready...
The fan on the PSU does not run though, so I don't keep it running for too long.
Hopefully I'll get some time soon to give it a much deserved restore.

I would get that fan fixed or replaced ASAP. Those PSU's can overheat quite quickly.
Normally, it's just a little drop of hair clipper or sewing machine oil that is required on the spindle to get it going again (you need to remove the fan to get to it).

Reply 12 of 13, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
anetanel wrote:

I bought an external battery and wanted to know the polarity of the pins on the board, as the header can be connected either way. In the meantime I took a guess and it seems that the battery works.

I have seen a documentation/labeling of external battery header only in few cases. If you take a look at other boards at TH99 you will not find the polarity in most cases. I usually measure Pin 1+4 of the header against the 2 Pins of the soldered battery and figure it out this way...

Reply 13 of 13, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
anetanel wrote:

I have seen a documentation/labeling of external battery header only in few cases. If you take a look at other boards at TH99 you will not find the polarity in most cases. I usually measure Pin 1+4 of the header against the 2 Pins of the soldered battery and figure it out this way...

That's another thing. I couldn't find the battery on this board, except for the external one.