VOGONS

First post, by flufsor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it normal for a socket 7 motherboard (Abit TX5) to not work perfectly with a Sata pci card (sil3114 in ide mode)?
The card gets detected as i can see it in the irq table,
but i seems that i cannot get a drive to be recognized be it in windows 98se install or a freedos bootdisk.

Also weird is that the card got recognized by the flash to so i could set it too ide mode (alteast it said flash exit code 0).
Also hdsdos did found the disk and gave me its correct details.

I am trying to get this card to work because the motherboard has a 8gb limit and the dma mode won't work with my ide drive.

Could it be something with the pci compliance mode that i can only set to 2.1?

Any help would be apreciated.

EDIT: I got the motherboard to recognize it but W98SE setup still doesn't find it.

Reply 4 of 8, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check your pci revisions. Some (most) sata cards are pci 2.2 or newer. IIRC socket 7 was pci 2.1 in most cases. Some cards will work, some wont.

I had this issue with my pentium pro setup.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 8, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yeah, the BIOS has to support booting from SCSI or other controllers. IDE was the world back then. How about using an IDE to CF adapter and booting Windows from an 8GB card? Then run everything else off SATA.

Reply 8 of 8, by Auzner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like Windows XP pre-SP1's "Press F6 to load storage drivers" for getting SATA drives recognized during the install. Since you can boot off of it, install Win98 to the IDE drive first. Get the drivers all going, then image that to the SATA drive with another system. Then Win98 should boot with only the SATA drive installed. With Linux, partedmagic can do that and even resize the filesystem.