VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is a question for the fine ladies and gents of Vogons.

I've been having some strange issues with a Gigabyte GA-BX2000 motherboard. This board had some swollen caps, and I have replaced 6 of its cheap noname caps with equally cheap noname but new caps. It seems to work 100% fine and stable during operation. My problem is with its Dual BIOS schtick. The first time I fired up this board, it threw me a WIDE RANGE PROTECTION ERROR message. I thought this was normal after not having a CMOS battery for a decade, so after installing a brand new CR2032 and loading BIOS performance defaults this message went away. The original BIOS that came with the board (V.F3) locked up on trying to detect my 80GB HDD, so I updated it to V.F9 which detected the HDD fine. Everything went fine for a night, but when I turned the PC on again the next day I got another WIDE RANGE PROTECTION ERROR message and the PC booted from the backup bios with V.F3 and locked up. Since then I have disabled the Wide Range Protection in Dual BIOS settings, and disabled booting from the backup BIOS, and the board works 100% fine. I have no idea what a Wide Range Protection Error is and why it happens, so maybe someone can help?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Wide Range Protection Error means that there's something wrong with your Main BIOS. With that option enabled in your BIOS Setup, it then falls back onto the Backup (Recovery) BIOS, which is why it is generating that error.
It's possible that the BIOS is corrupt (i.e., something went wrong when you flashed it or, that the EEPROM chip itself is faulty).
After you flashed your BIOS to V.F9, did you load the BIOS Setup Defaults again, saved it and rebooted? Sometimes, you need to do this first and then go back into the BIOS and change the settings.
Also, check that, if you leave the PC switched off overnight, that it is keeping the date & time settings (regardless whether you replaced it with a new battery). If not, then you know where your problem is.
Check all your motherboard jumpers again to ensure that everything is configured correctly.
As a last resort, replace the EEPROM chip with a new one (they are quite cheap). You just have to check the size of your BIOS file that you downloaded and, based on that, you can determine the size of your EEPROM chip.

Reply 2 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I loaded the performance defaults after the flash, rebooted then set the BIOS up. I left the computer off for a day, next day to receive the BIOS Wide Error but there was no problem with timekeeping. All switches seem to be correct. I re-flashed the V.F9 BIOS twice, no go. The PC works flawlessly with the current BIOS if I disable Wide BIOS Protection, so I'm kind of stumped as to what the issue is. Whatever it is, it also bars me from copying the current BIOS onto the Backup BIOS. I am considering it may just be that the main BIOS chip has gone bad and I may replace it, but it's not socketed so probably not worth trying. I would replace this with the GA-BXCE I also have, but this is the third board I've tried on this build and I kind of like it; besides it works once the error checking is disabled..

bx2000.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I loaded the performance defaults after the flash, rebooted then set the BIOS up. I left the computer off for a day, next day t […]
Show full quote

I loaded the performance defaults after the flash, rebooted then set the BIOS up. I left the computer off for a day, next day to receive the BIOS Wide Error but there was no problem with timekeeping. All switches seem to be correct. I re-flashed the V.F9 BIOS twice, no go. The PC works flawlessly with the current BIOS if I disable Wide BIOS Protection, so I'm kind of stumped as to what the issue is. Whatever it is, it also bars me from copying the current BIOS onto the Backup BIOS. I am considering it may just be that the main BIOS chip has gone bad and I may replace it, but it's not socketed so probably not worth trying. I would replace this with the GA-BXCE I also have, but this is the third board I've tried on this build and I kind of like it; besides it works once the error checking is disabled..

bx2000.jpg

Have you tried restoring the backup BIOS to your main BIOS to see what then happens (i.e., does it still display the Wide Range Protection Error)?
Considering that your BIOS is not socketed, this does pose a bit of a problem (if the main BIOS chip is faulty).
As you mentioned, I don't think you can flash the backup BIOS directly - you have to copy it from the main BIOS. However, if you tell the CMOS Setup to boot from your backup BIOS, can't you then flash the backup BIOS directly?

Reply 4 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Dual BIOS setup does NOT allow control of which way the backup/restore process works.

Yes, that sounds stupid as hell but it is what it is. It checks whether the current BIOS checksum is OK, and whether it boots into the OS or not, and if it does you can only copy the Main BIOS onto the Backup BIOS. The restore function is only available (and then it's the only function available) if the Primary BIOS fails. Mine currently only allows backing up the Main BIOS onto the Backup BIOS which means the checksum is correct.

I have also checked the documentation on Gigabyte Dual BIOS (http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboar … _ga-6gxdw_e.pdf) and it seems the BIOS throws out a WIDE RANGE ERROR in these particular cases:

Status 1: If any failure (ex. Update ESCD failure, update DMI failure or reset…) occurs in the Main BIOS , just before the Oper […]
Show full quote

Status 1:
If any failure (ex. Update ESCD failure, update DMI failure or reset…)
occurs in the Main BIOS , just before the Operating System is loaded
and after the power is on, and that the Wide Range Protection is set to
“ Enable” , the PC will boot from Backup BIOS automatically.
Status 2:
If the ROM BIOS on peripherals cards(ex. SCSI Cards, LAN Cards,..)
emits signals to request restart of the system after the user make any
alteration on it, the boot up BIOS will be changed to the Backup
BIOS.

I believe mine was a case of Status 1; I put the system together for the first time, updated the BIOS and tried to boot into an old Windows installation without updating ESCD/DMI information.

I have been using the board for two days now with Wide Range Protection Re-Enabled, and it works just fine.. The thing basically resolved itself, somehow? Maybe some capacitors just needed time and juice? No clue.

Reply 5 of 5, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can update BIOS2 by booting from it, and letting it run floppy/HDD with DOS.
If it does, then simply run BIOS flash from DOS and you should be able to update BIOS2.
Of course doing "Load Optimised Settings" after BIOS flash is (I think) necessary on these old boards.

157143230295.png