VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why did AMD stop making their CPUs compatible with Intel motherboards starting with Slot A?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

Why did AMD stop making their CPUs compatible with Intel motherboards starting with Slot A?

I believe Intel patented Slot 1 in an unsurprising asshole move to make sure nobody could release CPUs for it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 5, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

why did AMD stop making their CPUs compatible with Intel motherboards starting with Slot A?

I believe Intel patented Slot 1 in an unsurprising asshole move to make sure nobody could release CPUs for it.

Isn't Slot A physically just a mirrored (reversed) Slot 1? I mean, they are electrically different, but they are still basically the same parts to cut down costs for the motherboard vendors.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

why did AMD stop making their CPUs compatible with Intel motherboards starting with Slot A?

Nope, at least that's not the prime reason. AMD based a lot of the Athlon design on the DEC Alpha 21264 EV6. The EV6 had a bidirectional 64b DDR system bus, so that's what AMD implemented on the Athlon. It offered twice the bandwidth of Intel's SDR FSB, so was technically superior. Additionally the Athlon had a completely different cache architecture compared to Intel's 686 design, so even if using SDR signalling on the bus for backwards compatibility had been considered, it still would not have been possible. The whole question of licensing the 686 FSB or the Slot1 form factor never came up.

Reply 4 of 5, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

I think, that Wikipedia make a good summary of this:

Wikipedia wrote:

While AMD had previously always used Intel sockets for their processors, Socket 7 was the last one for which AMD retained legal rights. Intel had hoped by discontinuing Socket 7 development and moving to Slot 1 that AMD would be left with an outdated platform, making their processors non-competitive. By extending the FSB from 66 to 100 MHz, Super Socket 7 gave AMD the stopgap solution they needed while developing their own independent motherboard infrastructure, Slot A.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 5 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Isn't Slot A physically just a mirrored (reversed) Slot 1? I mean, they are electrically different, but they are still basically the same parts to cut down costs for the motherboard vendors.

VIA had a deal with intel concerning socket 370. So I figure that without such a deal, it would have been illegal for AMD to make processors for intel socket 370 and Slot 1.

Source - Legal issues
On the basis of the IDT Centaur acquisition,[5] VIA appears to have come into possession of at least three patents, which cover key aspects of processor technology used by Intel. On the basis of the negotiating leverage these patents offered, in 2003 VIA arrived at an agreement with Intel that allowed for a ten-year patent cross license, enabling VIA to continue to design and manufacture x86 compatible CPUs. VIA was also granted a three-year period of grace in which it could continue to use Intel socket infrastructure.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul