VOGONS

First post, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently picked up a IBM Aptiva 2144-M63. This was my first computer and I have looked high and low for it, and finally came across this mint condition gem with matching monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Specs:
Pentium 120 (Mine had a 133, so i also purchased that) Socket 7
24mb RAM (Purchased a 128mb EDO 4x32 kit)
2x CDROM (Purchased a erra correct IO magic 52x from 1996)
2mb onboard vid mem (upgraded by the original owner at purchase from 1mb; Purchased ATI All in wonder 3D Rage ii 4mb PCI because it was my first video card)
256kb cache (upgraded by original owner at time of purchase)
MWAVE sound and modem card (Limited support on this card that came with these models, but ill keep it in and attempt to do a factory restore from a Aptiva recovery disc image to maintain all drivers; if not ill buy a SB 16)
removed HDD on arrival
Monitor IBM G40 14" 800x600 VGA
Original IBM keyboard
Purchased IBM original mouse

Intended OS Windows 95

Thanks for any help in advance. What is the best modern hard drive solution for running windows 95 on this? I tried some modern IDE 120gb and 160gb and "1780 hard drive error" every time i plug in those hard drives FAT16 partitions or not; BIOS does show a hard drive installed, and the drive is set to master on IDE 1 and the CDROM is master on IDE 2. FDISK cant find any drives. No errors when hard drive is removed. Its a Opti Viper chipset Socket 7 mobo. Can i do SD or CF card to IDE?

s-l1600_3.jpg

Last edited by KSHIRZA1 on 2018-01-16, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1

Reply 1 of 9, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there

I recently picked up and upgraded an aptiva 2168 which was my first PC too 😀

Mine was a little different from yours. It could recognise a modern hard drive (80GB IDE) but only access a few GB of it and not the full drive. For a little while I used a DDO (dynamic drive overlay) to get around this, but in the end I fitted an ATA133 PCI card to be done with the issue.

I'd recommend this to you as well, but the problem is the card I had only had Windows 98se drivers. I tried to make it work with Windows 95, but it wouldn't have it. For me, this wasn't a problem as I can still use all the Aptiva apps and my old games with Windows 98. I guess you could even change the boot splash and startup sound if you wanted, or try and find a chipset that does support Win95

One big advantage though is speed. I benchmarked the onboard IDE vs the ATA133 PCI card and went from Linear Read and Random Read of 153.81 / 81.35 to 1610 / 322.42 using the same hard drive

The card I used was an SIIG ATA133 using the Sil 0680 chipset

The rest of my specs:
Upgraded the CPU to a K6-III 400 using the powerleap adapter - I was using a 233 MMX and performance increased but not as much as I expected. I can send you benchmarks if you're interested
128MB RAM
512KB cache
Voodoo 3 PCI
Yamaha YMF719 ISA audio card with Dreamblaster X1 wavetable
3com ISA ethernet

Reply 2 of 9, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. That’s a nice system!I really want it to run windows 95 badly. In the bios it does seem to recognize the drive installed and says 4gb installed, but throws seek error on boot and windows fdisk just doesn’t see it. I guess my best option is to try and find a ata133 card hat works with 95. Post up the benches would love to see it.

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1

Reply 3 of 9, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KSHIRZA1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That’s a nice system!I really want it to run windows 95 badly. In the bios it does seem to recognize the drive installed and says 4gb installed, but throws seek error on boot and windows fdisk just doesn’t see it. I guess my best option is to try and find a ata133 card hat works with 95. Post up the benches would love to see it.

If you can't find an ata133 pci card with w95 drivers then an ata66 or ata100 card is enough speedwise, just make sure the card has its own BIOS with support for large HDDs.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 9, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as your BIOS can recognise the drive then a DDO should work. A DDO will sit between your BIOS and your operating system allowing it to access the full drive even though your BIOS can only address 4GB

I used Maxtor's Maxblast plus 2 as I had a Maxtor drive. Various different DDO software available from Phil's Computer Lab's website, here's a link to the Maxtor and Ontrack pages:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/maxtor.html
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ontrack-disk-manager.html

I would think that'll get you Win95 installed, but I can't speak to the Ontrack version. I believe the Maxtor version only works if you have a Maxtor or unbranded (compactflash/sd solution) drive.

However, if you can get an ATA card performance will be significantly better. I was also tied to Win95 since that's what my Aptiva came with, but apart from the splash and startup music I haven't noticed any difference using Win98 on mine, except how much faster it is now!

Good luck 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to what I can find on Google that card uses the same chipset I have on my SIIG card, the Silicon Image 0680

I was unable to find any Win95 supporting drivers for that card so you may face the same issue, if not I'd appreciate if you could image the included drivers and upload them for us 😀

I found the earliest driver I could and tried to bodge the .inf to work with Windows 95, but didn't have any luck sadly

Reply 7 of 9, by KSHIRZA1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nipedley wrote:

According to what I can find on Google that card uses the same chipset I have on my SIIG card, the Silicon Image 0680

I was unable to find any Win95 supporting drivers for that card so you may face the same issue, if not I'd appreciate if you could image the included drivers and upload them for us 😀

I found the earliest driver I could and tried to bodge the .inf to work with Windows 95, but didn't have any luck sadly

Hopefully comes with win 95 drivers. I simply went off of the boxes OS support, so hopefully that's the case. If it works ill upload drivers asap!

What about ethernet cards? would have to be isa since my 2 pci slots are occupied. found a couple 10mbs ISA. Is it even worth it on windows 95?

Last edited by KSHIRZA1 on 2018-01-16, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

\\IBM Aptiva 2144 build\
My instagram @kshirza1

Reply 8 of 9, by Nipedley

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let us know how it goes 😀 There are a bunch of Aptiva software recovery ISOs out there, I used one to reinstall the original Aptiva apps on my 2168 - let me know if you need a hand with finding any of them as I downloaded them all as well

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I network all my PC's even the pure dos PC.
10mb/s transfer is still faster then copying things over via Floppy, CD, etc.