VOGONS

First post, by MetalMilitia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I have been scouring the internet looking for the most up to date BIOS for this board. I have found that it is an HP OEM board, but HP no longer has drivers/BIOS for this particular model. Could a standard P2B BIOS be used, or should only the P2B-VE BIOS be used. If so, does anyone have the 1.14 BIOS file for this board? Any help is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only P2B-VE BIOS will work. I just checked that right now, and the MBs have different SuperIO chips - the P2B-VE uses a SMSC SIO chip and the normal P2B uses a Winbond SIO.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=556251

Supported Models
P2B-VE Driver
Manufacturers
ASUS
Supported Operating Systems
Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT4, Windows NT3.51, Windows ME, Windows 98SE, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, Linux, Other Unix, DOS
File Name
cdr1_114.exe (293.3 KB)

Versions
1.14 (1 Jul 1999)
Search All ASUS P2B-VE Drivers
Uploader Notes

This is the OFFICIAL HP BIOS update for the ASUS P2B-VE motherboard.
It can be used in these HP models:
6404(H), 6405(H), 6408(H), 6409(H), 6410, 6415(H), 6416, 6418(H), 6420, 6425(H), 6426(H), 6428(H), 6429(H), 6430, 6460, 6466, 6470Z, 8400, 8415(H), 8418(H), 8428(H), 8480Z, 8490, 8496, 8500, 8570C, 8576C

If you have the Cannot Flash When Memory Manager Are Present. (HIMEM) error then you will have to do this:
-Boot up system on a DOS boot up Floppy Disk
-Insert floppy disk with the driver files installed on it
-Type A:>phlash bios.rom /X
-This will disable Memory Managers and install the new BIOS
I had a lengthly and difficult time finding some of this information out, so I have uploaded this file to make it easier for you.
Good Luck!
Uploaded By
Cory Schulz (DG Member) on 2005-12-01 21:15:31

Reply 5 of 11, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was going to post my copy of the P2B-VE BIOS update (cdr1_114.exe) myself, until I saw that it was already found.

Nevertheless, if anyone hates driverguide.com or needs a BIOS update for any of the other HP OEM P2B boards, let me know and I'll post the update EXEs here.

Reply 6 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe there are people who 'hate' Driverguide, dunno.
The fact is that Driverguide offers for free a huge selection of drivers, tools, BIOS's etc, that are often not available elsewhere.
Navigating through the buttons on their site is a nuisance, and so is finding the right version of something when you have a hit.
But a couple of weeks ago I managed to find all the software I needed for another obsolete HP pc and Driverguide has a number of times been useful for me since the early 2000's.
So I do not see a good reason to blackball that site.

Reply 7 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I "hate" DriverGuide to the point where I was willing to liberate drivers from their site to post elsewhere, and willingly reposted this topic:
DriverGuide.com’s Not-so-surprising Scammy Tactics

Their "installer"/downloader comes bundled with adware, for one. Historically speaking, they're terrible.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I understand that sentiment but I have never used their 'installer' etc. stuff and systematically avoided all the 'inviting' buttons - I just used the site as a source for hard to get software. So, maybe a disclaimer of sorts is necessary for people who try to find obsolete software there today.

Reply 9 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PARKE wrote:

Ok, I understand that sentiment but I have never used their 'installer' etc. stuff and systematically avoided all the 'inviting' buttons - I just used the site as a source for hard to get software. So, maybe a disclaimer of sorts is necessary for people who try to find obsolete software there today.

This is getting off topic, but... Is there some new way to avoid their "installer" and download the file directly? The last I looked into it, there was NO avoiding their "installer". The last time I needed something from there, I actually created a VM just to avoid their "installer's" doings...

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this example: Look for FILENAME and click on it (in this case cdr1_114.exe).
On the next page click the checkmark for ''i'm not a robot'' and confirm.
Now wait a couple of seconds and the download should start.

Worked fine for me. Ignore EVERYTHING ELSE on their site.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
In this example: Look for FILENAME and click on it (in this case cdr1_114.exe). On the next page click the checkmark for ''i'm n […]
Show full quote

In this example: Look for FILENAME and click on it (in this case cdr1_114.exe).
On the next page click the checkmark for ''i'm not a robot'' and confirm.
Now wait a couple of seconds and the download should start.

Worked fine for me. Ignore EVERYTHING ELSE on their site.

Hm, they must've dialed back their tactics since last I looked. I'll take a look later. Thanks.

Stiletto