26982488_456039984798403_946205954_o.jpg
Filename
26982488_456039984798403_946205954_o.jpg
File size
233.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I brought an philips monitor home from work, i don't know how to make it run. there's only one connection which is a vga connection. If anyone has some info about old crt monitors on CNC machines, and how to use them for personal use ( arcade game ) or just to make the work, please reply

Reply 1 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That, sir, is not a TFT.

If you're not trolling here, please take a picture of the inputs for this device. It looks significantly older than the VGA standard, so almost certainly accepts something else. I once installed the mini (black and white) CRT-monitor from a 1970's era Philips video camera as a secondary display in my PC. It ran on 12V (just as this one seems to do), so I hooked it up to my computer PSU, and accepted a composite TV-out signal from my Trident 9685 secondary PCI VGA. You could probably do that here too, but once again, see what inputs it has to be sure. Judging by the picture above it's not likely to do much more than (B&W) composite.

Reply 2 of 12, by Gildemeistermaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i just found out it's not a tft i didn't know names and types of monitors at all, the only wire (not even attached) is vga no other input or power, but i have 3 others that i haven't looked at. I'll post a reply with detailed picture tomorrow.

Reply 3 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gildemeistermaster wrote:

i just found out it's not a tft i didn't know names and types of monitors at all, the only wire (not even attached) is vga no other input or power, but i have 3 others that i haven't looked at. I'll post a reply with detailed picture tomorrow.

If there is only one connector, it needs to supply both video input and power. That sounds like the connector (DB9, not Dsub15 "VGA") that the screen on my 1970s video camera had. The pinout is non-standard, but if it's the same it's pretty clear what pin does what by looking at where they go on the inside.

Reply 5 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and how to use them for personal use ( arcade game ) or just to make the work, please reply

That's a mono tube. You don't really want to play arcade games in b/w, do you? Trash it, seriously.

Reply 6 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

and how to use them for personal use ( arcade game ) or just to make the work, please reply

That's a mono tube. You don't really want to play arcade games in b/w, do you? Trash it, seriously.

You could just as easily say 'that's an ancient XT, you really don't want to play arcade games on that, trash it' but somehow this forum is full of people who do exactly that 😉

That said, you also don't want to try to run Crysis on an XT, so you also don't want to try to run colourful arcade games on something like this...

Reply 8 of 12, by Gildemeistermaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know it's not a color monitor and i don't mind i just want it to do something i took it because there was a working one who had color. had to take all 5 so i want to make the best of it don't maybe cool ideas to do something else, just something

Reply 9 of 12, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grid already mentioned this but I'd like to reiterate if you don't know what you're doing inside CRTs you can easily send tens of thousands of volts through your body by poking the wrong thing. That'll kill you.

(At a bare minimum the "flyback transformer" is the name of one of the components you really, really don't want to touch, and that suction cup thing right on top is part of it. Google that.)

I'm all for saving it & getting it going again, but do some research & figure out exactly what you're doing, especially if you're fiddling inside it with metal tools. Or better yet, if it works, close the case and don't.

That said, please show us a picture of the connector on the back. I can almost guarantee it isn't VGA, even if it looks like one.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't poke around in the innards of CRTs of you don't know what you're doing. Fortunately that won't be necessary to get this to do something. If that connector is what I think it is, you don't even need to mess with the CRT's connector. All you need is a matching (probably DB9 female) connector you can hook three or four lines up to (+12V, GND (twice if the power and signal aren't coming from the same device) and luminance i.e. your video signal). You can get power from an AT(X) PSU, and any video card that can do PAL/NTSC TV-out will give you the luminance on the composite or S-Video out signal (with S-Video giving you the better quality). Easiest way to get a cable is to take a regular S-video cable and cut one end off. Then take the Y and GND (Y) and connect them to the correct pins on the CRT connector.

Reply 11 of 12, by jholt5638

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:
Grid already mentioned this but I'd like to reiterate if you don't know what you're doing inside CRTs you can easily send tens o […]
Show full quote

Grid already mentioned this but I'd like to reiterate if you don't know what you're doing inside CRTs you can easily send tens of thousands of volts through your body by poking the wrong thing. That'll kill you.

(At a bare minimum the "flyback transformer" is the name of one of the components you really, really don't want to touch, and that suction cup thing right on top is part of it. Google that.)

I'm all for saving it & getting it going again, but do some research & figure out exactly what you're doing, especially if you're fiddling inside it with metal tools. Or better yet, if it works, close the case and don't.

That said, please show us a picture of the connector on the back. I can almost guarantee it isn't VGA, even if it looks like one.

Not saying CRT's won't kill you, but I was always told it isn't the voltage but amps that kill.

Thinkpad A22m (P3-M 1GHz, 512MB PC100, 60GB HDD, Ati Rage Mobility-M1, Dual Sound Cards Intel AC97 & Crystal Soundfusion 4624). The OS is a heavily patched Windows 98SE (98lite Sleek Install, NUSB 3.3, USP 3.57, 98SE2ME, SH95UPD, Kernelex, and 98MP10)