VOGONS

First post, by moijk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a Commodore PC30-II

I've replaced the dead dallas ram with a socket and a new dallas chip. It have tried but had errors from time to time, but now it is constant with this one. The keyboard doesn't work but it lit up once it booted right. I was messing with setting up the disk drive and hard drive but not sure what that could have done. But I suspect the keyboard connector might be a bit wonky since that have been working on and off for a while. all i got connected is the EGA card.

Now I found the service manual to the model after and it say this about the error. I'm getting close to chucking it in my "next try whenever I bother to, probably in 2048" lot way back in the closet given I got dozens of other machines that aren't a pain in the ass. but I'll give it a shot if I could. I do have other AT mainboard I could retrofit in the case but I'd prefer to keep it correct.

Test 02 (H) 0000 0010 (B)

This routine checks to see if a "SHUTDOWN" has occurred. A shutdown can indicate a severe error which would prevent
the CPU from further processing.

NOTE: A halt or shutdown condition is signaled externally, by the 80286 as a bus operation. Low states on SO', S I', COD/INT A',
and a high state on M/IO' indicate a halt or shutdown. The state of address line I will indicate which condition, AI
high is halt, AI low is shutdown.
After the test number is moved to the parallel port a check for keyboard reset is conducted and the program branches to test
04 (H) if it has.

The check for shutdown begins by examining the 8242 keyboard controller status port. In all ten shutdown conditions are
tested, of these, three unexpected shutdown conditions, numbers 6, 7 or 8, any one of which if true, will generate the console

NOT"F: Branch information for shutdown routines are stored in CMOS memory. The shutdown command is sent to the 8242,
the UPI status port, which will halt the CPU. Return depends on the shutdown code in CMOS memory.

An error code, F6, F7 or F8, (HEX) is sent to the parallel port before calling the display routine which generates the above
message.

In real address mode a shutdown could occur under the following conditions:
Interrupt number 8, interrupt number 13, or a "CALL INT" or "PUSH" instruction which wraps stack segment when SP
is ODD.

Routines also perform valid shutdowns to exit protected mode. During these the DMA page register will be initialized and
interrupt control words (ICW) 1, 2, 3 and 4 will be reinitialized. Other routines within the test enable "NMI", parity and
set the 110 check bit.

***Failures in test 02 could indicate problems on the local bus, or expansion bus. This would include: 80286, FE3000, FE3010,
or any third party cards

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good morning,

Before you installed that EGA card, did you disable the on-board AGA graphics somehow ?
I am no owner of a Commodore PC, so I am not sure if this can be done via DIP switch settings or jumpers.
In either case, I recommend to run CheckIt! on that machine, too. Esp. for the mainboard and memory tests.

Because maybe that error is caused by something else we do not see yet. If you can, also try to disable IRQ2 on the EGA.
IRQ2 was rarely required by it and is better left unused (since IRQ2/9 are cascaded).
I am afraid that is all that crosses my mind now. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 3, by moijk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AGA? This is a 286. My Commodore amiga 4000 has AGA and it's running at the same time with the Retina z3 discrete card it has. 😀

I booted it right now to see if it was acting up today too. but no. booted past the checker. Not sure what's going on. it complains about controller failure but that could be because the hd is not connected. it didn't boot from the floppy though. Oh well. I'll let it sit on for a few hours and try again.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
moijk wrote:

AGA? This is a 286. My Commodore amiga 4000 has AGA and it's running at the same time with the Retina z3 discrete card it has. 😀

Yeah, AGA.. 😁 Back in the 1980s Commodore named the PC graphics chip that way (well, in some parts of Europe, at least).
This was before the Amiga AGA existed (aka AA graphics). Perhaps Commodore saw both the downfall of the Amigas
and rise of the PCs coming and named it accordingly (in a rush of sarcasm or dark humour). 😉

PC AGA Graphics card

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//