It consists of:

FLCS;
TQS;
RCS;
a PS2>AT adapter;
a PS2>USB adapter;
a PS2>male COM cable;
a cable that has PS2-looking male connectors with 4 pins on each end;
a cable that has a male COM on one end and a female COM on the other.

I have a Pentium 3 machine with Asus P3B-F motherboard, so it's PS/2 all around. The soundcard is Diamond Monster Sound MX300. How do I connect the Thrustmaster parts to each other and to the machine? Both joystick and throttle control have like three different ports each, so I'm a bit confused. The bundle didn't come with a manual, and I can't find anything online.

Thanks in advance!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got that same exact setup.. all boxed. Found the FLCS and TQS brand new about a year ago and then got a boxed RCS.

Years ago I had the FLCS and TQS and then gave them away... dumb me.

I'll scan the documentation and post it here later this evening.

I'll also post up detailed instructions on how to hook everything together.

Do you need any instructions on programming or anything? It is all done through a text editor and then uploaded through a DOS program.

Getting timing correct for the throttle throw in different games is "fun" to say the least.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so your setup (joystick and throttle) are newer than mine, as mine have the standard AT keyboard hookups instead of PS/2.

Mine are actually the Mark II FCS and Mark II WCS.

In any case, the programming software is the same as far as I know.

Found the how to hook up everything pages here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/ … ld_your_own_USB

full-40431-130512-tqs_connections.jpg
Filename
File size
284.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As for the software, you can use the original stuff or supposedly one called Foxy in order to create the profiles. You can run Foxy in Windows XP and it will make programming the profiles a whole lot easier. You will then have to boot into DOS to upload the profile to the TQS.

Links to the original software:
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/joy … ks/exe/F16FLCS/
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/thr … les/exe/F16TQS/
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/Thrustmapper/ (not sure if this is the correct version or not)
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/ALL/exe/ (has older versions of Thrustmapper)
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/ALL … s/Thrustmapper/ (Thrustmapper manuals)
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/ALL … pper-how-to.doc (Thrustmapper how-to-doc)

Link to Foxy:
ftp://ftp.thrustmaster.com/accessories/pc/hot … /software/foxy/

Let me know if you need any more help. I can scan the manuals I have. I think the buttons are going to be slightly different on yours though and not sure what they would all be labeled in the script. Foxy may have pictoral layouts of what the buttons are... and if it doesn't, you should be able to figure it out from the generated profile.

It is also possible that your setup has been converted to digital.. but I kinda doubt it.

Edit: Found the button maps for your setup.
Re: Great news: Thrustmaster Resource Center lives again!

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-01-22, 22:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot! I'll try everything tonight and will post back with the results.

The big revelation for me is that Thrustmaster HOTAS still needs a lot of programming. I kind of assumed that Thrustmaster was popular enough to just work in games — at least those that have the "Thrustmaster" option in settings.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the having to program everything is the only real downside... but it is a plus as well.

Back before everything went USB, gameports usually only supported a max of 4 buttons per controller.

So to get around that, they made it so that anything past that went through the keyboard controller.

Sure, the game programmers could have added specific support IF the controller buttons were statically mapped to specific keys on the keyboard but that would have caused issues in other ways.

So you have to make presets for the controllers for specific games. A lot of the games back then did have default presets that either were packaged with the game or could be downloaded.

There used to be a site that had a ton of user made presets, but I think it is gone as I was unable to find it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't work. I followed your instruction — except for the step where I have to plug the keyboard into TQS. TQS doesn't have a keyboard port, so I plugged the keyboard (a PS/2 Model M, if that matters) into the FLCS's AT port via the PS/2>AT adapter.

At boot the system would beep endlessly and produce the "bad keyboard" error.

I'll check the setup with an AT system a bit later — may be it's just an issue with a PS/2 converter?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found this shot of the installation instructions.

Filename
File size
284.2 KiB
Views
File comment
TQS connections
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

Found this shot of the installation instructions.

Hahaha, you ninja posted while I was editing my post.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 10, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got around to trying the setup once again.

This time around I've used an ATX system with PS/2 ports, a Microsoft COM port mouse and a generic AT keyboard. I've also used a Gravis Eliminator Gameport card and disabled the Gameport that is built into the motherboard.

The setup works, but it looks like I need a manual to all the parts, because even the calibration procedure was kind of tricky. It calls all the controls by name, e.g. S1 button on FLCS or antenna knob on TQS. I've been able to figure that out, yet the calibration utility is even more specific, asking, for instance, to "pull a throttle handle until the first notch". The controllers themselves have almost nothing written on them, so I assume I need a manual.

Does anyone happen to have PDFs? I was surprised that I could not find any scanned copy.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog