VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ( reference image below )
Is it possible to easily clean the dust from MSI 6800's copper fins without the need of lifting off the whole heat sink from the chip and harming the paste and such ?
- Are the plastic front cover's screws hidden inside the front sticker ? Do I have to peal it off ?
- These cards look very dusty. Is it easy to remove the dust without horribly peeled stickers or such ?
- Are there some plastic clips that I need to bend to open or such ?
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/nvidi … complete_hq.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just take the cooler off and get it done that way as the screws for the plastic cover can only be accessed that way as the heads are on the other side.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 3, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just look at the back of the card :518_nx6800gt-t2256e_bottom_hq.jpg
You unscrew things you have to (ie. screws that connect to heatsink), and after you unmount it from card, there should be a second set on it's underside.
You can't clean this without removing cooler itself, so thermal paste will be required (since old one will be dry as desert and probably hard as a rock after all these years*).
*I'm assuming, no one ever did that before.

Also, dismantling cooler itself (to get to dust), may require a REALLY small screwdrivers.

PS. Reference 6800 cooler can be cleaned without removing it from graphics card.

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 3, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
Just look at the back of the card :http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/nvidia/518_nx6800gt-t2256e_bottom_hq.jpg You unscrew […]
Show full quote

Just look at the back of the card :518_nx6800gt-t2256e_bottom_hq.jpg
You unscrew things you have to (ie. screws that connect to heatsink), and after you unmount it from card, there should be a second set on it's underside.
You can't clean this without removing cooler itself, so thermal paste will be required (since old one will be dry as desert and probably hard as a rock after all these years*).
*I'm assuming, no one ever did that before.

Also, dismantling cooler itself (to get to dust), may require a REALLY small screwdrivers.

PS. Reference 6800 cooler can be cleaned without removing it from graphics card.

Jewler's screw driver/eyeglass repair kit works great. Grab a 25g tube of Arctic Ceramique for $7, just ran dry after 4 years! And its not conductive.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1