VOGONS

Netbook as a machine to retro gaming

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bummer thanks for testing. Its been my experience that Dosbox Distro detects the audio devices correctly on most atom chipsets that dont have hdmi out. 🙁

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 21 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The N550 should be dual core with two way SMT for each core. It would make a nice MIDI emulator to pair with a real DOS machine.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 27, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

Bummer thanks for testing. Its been my experience that Dosbox Distro detects the audio devices correctly on most atom chipsets that dont have hdmi out. 🙁

Can you guide me on how you do it? TinyCore or Debian? Tutorial?
I thinking of doing it on Debian/Ubuntu, since I am slightly much more familiar with apt-get.

I'm thinking of having DosBoxDistro, installed into the Harddrive's partition, dualboot from there.

Purely DosBox, for DOS gaming....
But again, I am not a Linux Guru. Can you help?

Reply 23 of 27, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

The N550 should be dual core with two way SMT for each core. It would make a nice MIDI emulator to pair with a real DOS machine.

Midi Emulator? Well, I do have a RealDOS machine.
I saw some phil's computer lab video, a Roland emulator, running on Windows.

Is there a Roland emulator, run on linux?
I looking for guide/tutorials in vogons... just need a real guide, coz I ain't no Guru yet.. 😀

Reply 24 of 27, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Panties, N550 is dual-core CPU with hyper-threading, so each physical core has 2 logical threads for the operating system. Therefore you see 4 cores in task manager.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 25 of 27, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

@Panties, N550 is dual-core CPU with hyper-threading, so each physical core has 2 logical threads for the operating system. Therefore you see 4 cores in task manager.

Oh.. HT on each core, on 2 Local Core, so that's why it shows 4 Processors. 😊 Do you have any ideas on making this system, a useful one? (FYI, I just installed Archlinux last night.. I haven't install Dosbox on arch yet...) 🤣

Reply 26 of 27, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Oh.. HT on each core, on 2 Local Core, so that's why it shows 4 Processors. 😊 Do you have any ideas on making this system, a useful one? (FYI, I just installed Archlinux last night.. I haven't install Dosbox on arch yet...) 🤣

I have a similar netbook, EEE PC 1015PEM. I have a tiny plan of making it to run my stock portfolio with software i have written myself, but that's it. (It can handle those few divisions and multiplications easily 😜)
A little, low-power machine with battery (almost like UPS) seems to be not too bad option for that.

I have windows 7 on it and just to try it out, i have dosbox installed with few games. It's fine for that.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 27 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Panties wrote:

Is there a Roland emulator, run on linux?
I looking for guide/tutorials in vogons... just need a real guide, coz I ain't no Guru yet.. 😀

I run Munt and FluidSynth for this. It sounds like you can use Falcosoft Midi Player (FSMP) in Wine as well, although I haven't tried that.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder