VOGONS

First post, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,
I searched a little about removing BIOS password from IBM 570. It seems to be not so easy like for old Toshibas laptops. I only found information, that special FDD worked to break it. Anybody knows what it may be? I found 570 in good condition but with this password, before buying I want to make sure that I can remove this password.

http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/laptop-locked-wi … tup-t68869.html

Reply 2 of 6, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, so it is no option, that breaking this password will be impossible without any other hardware?

Seller wrote that after 3 times trying input passwort computer is locked, on the screen appears padlock and you can only reboot the computer.

Reply 3 of 6, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is fairly simple to recover the password on these old Thinkpads with IBMPass.

All you need is a second computer with a serial port, but you will have to build a simple adapter with two resistors, two diodes and a serial connector.
It needs to be temporarily soldered to the 24RF08 chip that is storing the password:

https://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47

I once did this to recover the password on an IBM A21p by reading out the chip with a T21. 😎

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 5 of 6, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've removed a bios password from a either a 600E or a 600X (it's been a while) by shorting a jumper pad on the board that was accessible from the ram expansion cover. Perhaps there is a chance that the 570 also predates the enhanced security that requires the serial cable method?

Reply 6 of 6, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to avoid confusion: You originally wrote "BIOS password", but it seems you mean System password, so it won't even boot without? If it's standard implementation, it will be gone when zapping the CMOS. But if that IBM notebook was targeted for business users, it may not be that simple and even impossible to remove. Since IBM is still around, why not ask their support? From my experience, they still help with vintage hardware.